The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Baby pads with girth straps?

Anyone know where I can find baby pads with girth straps but no billet straps? Or a way to stop baby pads from slipping out from under a half pad? My baby pads are always slipping out, but the billet straps on normal saddle pads get in the way of the billet straps on the half pad.

I cut the billet straps off of my pads. It's not a "baby pad" persay but the smartpak lite saddle pad comes with girth straps only.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Fleece works has a baby pad with a spine, girth straps and still very thin like a true baby pad. It's also long enough to protect a fleece half pad. Cheap, it ain't... The Dover pad is ok. Thicker and not as long along the back, but a bit cheaper especially when on sale.

I ordered a baby pad from smart pal that said it had girth straps, but the pix didn't. Sure enough, no straps when it arrived. This was a few years so, so I would ask before I order. But at 30 bucks, the fleece works pad is much nicer
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I cut off the billet straps, too, since I always use my Thinline sheepskin pad. My favorite pads to use are the PRI ones, but I bought a couple of the Tuff Rider AP pads at Stablemates during their Black Friday sale for about $11 each. They're not too thick and seem to be pretty nice for the price. Not sure how they hold up, so maybe someone else can chime in on that.

http://www.equinenow.com/store-item-2388
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Do you use a non-slip pad under your baby pad? When I do, everything stays perfectly in place. On the odd time that I forget it, my baby pad is usually half way out the back of my saddle before I've even cantered. They work great for me to make everything stick.

I second the Fleeceworks recommendation. The pads are shaped, so they fit up into the gullet nicely. They have the girth strap and not billet straps. They're the only ones I use now because they just fit so well with a half pad and they're durable. They're about $20.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Dover has thin baby pads on sale today only for about $7... they're the ones with the wither relief, which I prefer, rather than the completely flat square ones. I just cut the billet straps off.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have several of these EOUS baby pads. They have a wither relief shape and girth straps and come in quite a few colors. Seem to stay in place well and don't bunch up. http://www.equestriancollections.com...bc=984&cc=6862

Quote Originally Posted by Starhouse View Post
    I have a few of these, they are great. http://www.smartpakequine.com/lettia...pad-4970p.aspx
    I agree...the Lettia baby pads are super nice. Girth strap, no billet straps, and they hold up great. I have washed mine countless times and they still look fantastic.

I use the Ogilvy baby pads. You can get them with or without billet straps, and they have no-slip fake suede on the underside.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Dover has thin baby pads on sale today only for about $7... they're the ones with the wither relief, which I prefer, rather than the completely flat square ones. I just cut the billet straps off.
    These are fantastic and hold up really well!

I have ones without girth loops but I fold the front few inches of the pad back to help it stay forward.

This works great (unless I am in the schooling ring prior to a horseshow or clinicing with someone famous. Then of course the pad gets all cattywompus immediately.)

Quote Originally Posted by ThegoodLife View Post
    I use the Ogilvy baby pads. You can get them with or without billet straps, and they have no-slip fake suede on the underside.
    THIS!! I love these pads and will never use anything else!! I have some with billet straps and without, and honestly I can't tell the difference because these pads do not move at all under my saddle