The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Baby pads with girth straps?

Anyone know where I can find baby pads with girth straps but no billet straps? Or a way to stop baby pads from slipping out from under a half pad? My baby pads are always slipping out, but the billet straps on normal saddle pads get in the way of the billet straps on the half pad.

I cut the billet straps off of my pads. It's not a "baby pad" persay but the smartpak lite saddle pad comes with girth straps only.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Fleece works has a baby pad with a spine, girth straps and still very thin like a true baby pad. It's also long enough to protect a fleece half pad. Cheap, it ain't... The Dover pad is ok. Thicker and not as long along the back, but a bit cheaper especially when on sale.

I ordered a baby pad from smart pal that said it had girth straps, but the pix didn't. Sure enough, no straps when it arrived. This was a few years so, so I would ask before I order. But at 30 bucks, the fleece works pad is much nicer
    Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

I cut off the billet straps, too, since I always use my Thinline sheepskin pad. My favorite pads to use are the PRI ones, but I bought a couple of the Tuff Rider AP pads at Stablemates during their Black Friday sale for about $11 each. They're not too thick and seem to be pretty nice for the price. Not sure how they hold up, so maybe someone else can chime in on that.

http://www.equinenow.com/store-item-2388

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Do you use a non-slip pad under your baby pad? When I do, everything stays perfectly in place. On the odd time that I forget it, my baby pad is usually half way out the back of my saddle before I've even cantered. They work great for me to make everything stick.

I second the Fleeceworks recommendation. The pads are shaped, so they fit up into the gullet nicely. They have the girth strap and not billet straps. They're the only ones I use now because they just fit so well with a half pad and they're durable. They're about $20.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Dover has thin baby pads on sale today only for about $7... they're the ones with the wither relief, which I prefer, rather than the completely flat square ones. I just cut the billet straps off.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have several of these EOUS baby pads. They have a wither relief shape and girth straps and come in quite a few colors. Seem to stay in place well and don't bunch up. http://www.equestriancollections.com...bc=984&cc=6862

Quote Originally Posted by Starhouse View Post
    I have a few of these, they are great. http://www.smartpakequine.com/lettia...pad-4970p.aspx
    I agree...the Lettia baby pads are super nice. Girth strap, no billet straps, and they hold up great. I have washed mine countless times and they still look fantastic.

I use the Ogilvy baby pads. You can get them with or without billet straps, and they have no-slip fake suede on the underside.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Dover has thin baby pads on sale today only for about $7... they're the ones with the wither relief, which I prefer, rather than the completely flat square ones. I just cut the billet straps off.
    These are fantastic and hold up really well!

I have ones without girth loops but I fold the front few inches of the pad back to help it stay forward.

This works great (unless I am in the schooling ring prior to a horseshow or clinicing with someone famous. Then of course the pad gets all cattywompus immediately.)

Quote Originally Posted by ThegoodLife View Post
    I use the Ogilvy baby pads. You can get them with or without billet straps, and they have no-slip fake suede on the underside.
    THIS!! I love these pads and will never use anything else!! I have some with billet straps and without, and honestly I can't tell the difference because these pads do not move at all under my saddle