The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Raleigh, NC

Give me the scoop on the Hunter/Jumper scene in Raleigh. I have a possible relocation coming up and looking into barns, trainers, and show scene. I don't necessarily want a strict show barn, I'm an amatuer, so a big show a month, good trainer, great facilities.

I have a good friend who rides at Autumn Rise in Raleigh - she loves the trainer and the facilities. She does the medals with one horse, her other horse does hunters. There are a bunch of nice h/j barns around the area - I'd recommend looking at the NCHJA website (http://www.nchja.com/). Best of luck!

2 members found this post helpful.

The horse show scene is great. Lots of quality A and C shows in Raleigh, Greensboro, Carolina Horse Park, and just C shows at the Pinehurst race track.

Are you showing Adults or Ammie Owners? And do you want your trainer to be able to ride your horse sometimes? What to you makes a great facility?

Good luck with this decision.

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Great Barn?

Care is my first concern. Turn out is a must. I do the Ammies, right now I don't need someone to ride my horses, but will be selling one and getting a new project so someone who could show would be nice. I will be able to focus on location once I know the general area we are going.

Quote Originally Posted by akstaj View Post
    Care is my first concern. Turn out is a must. I do the Ammies, right now I don't need someone to ride my horses, but will be selling one and getting a new project so someone who could show would be nice. I will be able to focus on location once I know the general area we are going.
    Based on that I would recommend Autumn Rise Farm with Lilly deSousa (although I might be bias ). But I would argue Autumn Rise and Finally Farm (right down the road) are the best in regards to turn out and care in the area. However, Lilly travels a little farther than Lesley (with Finally Farm) to 'A' shows outside of NC. But those two places are where I typically send anyone coming into the Raleigh area.

Apex Equestrian is also nice and has a great new trainer. I have not been to the newer facility so can't comment on turnout and care. Kyle, the trainer, is great but travels out of the country frequently and focuses his show schedule on the high dollar jumper classes.

Paramount Show Stables with Melissa Sarle has good training and a good show schedule. The horses always look well cared for at the shows. However, the turnout is all on sand.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Bob Savage is about 30 minutes from Raleigh but is a lovely, effective and quiet rider and wonderful trainer. I know the care is first class.

http://www.quietmeadowfarm.com/index.html

I haven't seen Lily DeSousa ride but have heard good things about her farm and it is a great location. Definitely worth checking out.

Kyle Timm is an excellent jumper rider. I think turn out is limited at Apex. I know when we looked there it would be half day turn out only.

Quote Originally Posted by ens0613 View Post
    I have a good friend who rides at Autumn Rise in Raleigh - she loves the trainer and the facilities. She does the medals with one horse, her other horse does hunters. There are a bunch of nice h/j barns around the area - I'd recommend looking at the NCHJA website (http://www.nchja.com/). Best of luck!
    This whole "thumbs up, thumbs down" thing has me confused. Was I unhelpful or wrong in any way??

Second Bob Savage - I've been with him almost five years, one of the best trainers around, without question. And the care at his place is top notch. You will not be disappointed.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ens0613 View Post
    This whole "thumbs up, thumbs down" thing has me confused. Was I unhelpful or wrong in any way??
    I am going to assume someone doesn't like Autumn Rise as I believe someone thumbs downed my post as well? Shame, as it is such a "horse-friendly" barn (big stalls, tons of turnout, quality feed and hay etc.)! Not sure how the system works either though? I took it as being similar to the facebook "like"
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

I think it is silly to have the "thumbs down" button. If you need to disagree with a post, explain why in a constructive way. The thumbs down thing on YouTube bothers me too-seems to be a way for couch potatoes to get their negativity out!

4 members found this post helpful.