The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

FWIW Rox Dene had OCD. If I remember the article I read correctly, it resolved with strict stall rest and she went on to a pretty successful career.

I have no idea what she cost/would have cost as an unbroke 2 year old. I turned down $25K for mine in 2005, being happy to keep him in my own barn at that time.

Just keep looking-- and learning as you look. Eventually you will find a seller whose needs and horse/s will work with your own-- or one of you will adjust your expectations due to your experience with the market.

When I was shopping, I spent 2 years (and a lot of travel $) shopping, and then spent more than I had originally planned for a younger horse than I was originally seeking. I've never regretted the decision-- which I made 24 years ago.

1 members found this post helpful.

Although your thread title indicates you're looking for foals, you say you're actually searching for yearlings and two-year-olds. Each group has its own price range. I agree with those who've already said $15K and up is what you should expect to pay for a 2yo. I think you should decide which group you really want to look at. Considering your budget, I think you'll have the best chance to get a top horse if you go younger.

If you truly want a TOP hunter prospect, you should be looking at foals and weanlings. You might get lucky and find a really nice yearling too. Part of the problem you might be having is that many of the top prospects are scooped up quickly by savvy buyers (so are sold as weanlings) or are "kept behind the barn" by breeders who know they can get more for them when under saddle at three or with a show record at four.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

3 members found this post helpful.

I have to agree with what most people have sd about the top 2yr olds. I have one that won on the line and at the young horse shows that I would have sold as a yearling but she turns 3 next yr so selling her now for 15 is not worth t when I could market her under tack in spring and going. The price increase makes it worth keeping 6-9 more months. If you really want a top prospect, I think you need to look at foals (weanlings to yearlings) to get one in that price range. Also definatley don't limit your search to hunter breeders, there are many good jumper/dressage breeders that have hunter types. We all try to combine the best parents to get a great foal as some "jumper" "dressage" foals have great minds and hunter movement instead of the huge action gaits they may have been bred for.

Besides lots of young jumpers are bought and turned into hunters as 5-6 yr olds.

Another suggestion is go on the websites of the breed associations and contact the breeders w stallions listed and see what they have available in your price and start there. Some don't advertise all the foals on the sales sites and you could find a great one. Good luck in your search.

2 members found this post helpful.

Many "dressage" breeders often had one, two, or more that could make good hunters. There are many successful hunters out there that have dressage bloodlines. Well, that is in the warmblood breeding world anyway .
    Last edited by woodland cottage; Dec. 15, 2012 at 01:40 PM.

^ So true! Many of us 'dressage' breeders actively preserve a decent amount of jump in our breeding programs. I have no youngstock currently available because I just sold a weanling and a yearling to hunter riders.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    I don't think the poster's expectations are unrealistic, but she may just have to look further afield and be willing to "filter" through some of the ads out there. We live in the middle of the country, so our costs are considerably lower to raise a youngster than someone on either coast. We also don't show babies as we have just found that the cost versus benefit just isn't there. With that said, we currently have a rising two year old gelding that "is" top quality and priced reasonably at $11,500. Good luck with your search! Those babies "are" out there

http://www.avalon-equine.com/aerosmith-davalon.html

Attachment 37278Attachment 37279Attachment 37280
    Lovely youngster Kathy!
    New Blessing Farm
    Standing the Oldenburg stallion Legaczy
    www.newblessingfarm.com
    "The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground".

For many of us breeding hunters - it often makes no financial sense to sell 2yr olds. We sell as weanlings before we have put time,money and risk to raise them, or we wait and sell under tack. Once they are two and we know they have all the quality to make a fancy hunter- it is much more lucrative to wait until under tack and even jumping around the baby greens to offer for sale. If you know exactly what you want and what bloodlines you are looking for- it is often your best bet to buy in utero or as weanlings when breeders have a hard time saying no

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    I don't think the poster's expectations are unrealistic, but she may just have to look further afield and be willing to "filter" through some of the ads out there. We live in the middle of the country, so our costs are considerably lower to raise a youngster than someone on either coast. We also don't show babies as we have just found that the cost versus benefit just isn't there. With that said, we currently have a rising two year old gelding that "is" top quality and priced reasonably at $11,500. Good luck with your search! Those babies "are" out there

http://www.avalon-equine.com/aerosmith-davalon.html

Attachment 37278Attachment 37279Attachment 37280
    Can someone please tell me why I get the red X on these (and some other) pictures? I clicked on the red X and get the unending rotating circle in the middle of a black square. If I right click and then click on "Show Picture, I get nothing. --- I have NEVER understood the enigmatic red X. Would love to know how to avoid it. (Plus I just want to see the pretty horsie. )
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

I too agree on the brilliant marketing strategy to pay half the expenses to come to the farm, I like many of you have found if people come look they buy.... Granted recently my sales are either people who've known and worked with what I produced and had one that was sight unseen but they had seen/showed against Rocketman (Maes first foal, and only pony, who last I checked was leading the country in the Larges don't know where he's ended up for the year yet!)

Lots of great suggestions for good breeders in the USA, there is plenty or quality here if buyers would look her before going overseas!!

Default ^ look right there..

At the poster above me.

She has a mare who produces a fantastic hunter every.single.year.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by RanchoAdobe View Post
    For many of us breeding hunters - it often makes no financial sense to sell 2yr olds. We sell as weanlings before we have put time,money and risk to raise them, or we wait and sell under tack. Once they are two and we know they have all the quality to make a fancy hunter- it is much more lucrative to wait until under tack and even jumping around the baby greens to offer for sale. If you know exactly what you want and what bloodlines you are looking for- it is often your best bet to buy in utero or as weanlings when breeders have a hard time saying no
    Ditto this.

Has the OP considered that it costs about $5k just to get the foal on the ground (assuming the breeder is paying for the stud fee)? Add the cost of feeding, vet fees, farrier expenses, etc. over two years and $15k isn't an unreasonable price for a quality 2 Year old hunter prospect. I elected to keep our very nice Popeye K filly as a 3 year old rather than selll her at age 2 and get her well started under saddle.

Not to mention the expense of acquiring good mares to breed these quality foals from! Lots of great points being made here. OP there are still nice youngsters out there, you may just have to turn over some stones.

2 members found this post helpful.

The first thing that jumped to my mind is, where are you looking? There are many horse for sale sites that have numerous youngsters of excellent quality posted. Or are you narrowly looking within a specific geographic area, or even more narrowly only looking at the BN HB farms?

If you are looking at a 1-2 year old, it may be beneficial to also look at foals/weanlings. Many times the really nice foals are sold, so you wouldn't find them in a quest for a yearling as they were already sold on. I also agree with those that said looking out side the "hunter bred" box is not a bad idea. Many breeders (us included) use broodmares with diverse bloodlines. Our weanling this year was from a dressage type mare that has some jumper lines, and out of a GP dressage stallion with jumper blood, and she sold to a hunter.

We used to try to sell foals and younger horses, but really got very little serious response. Hunter folks are notorious for wanting something going and more often showing before they show real interest. I've heard too many say "It's not done anything - it's can't be worth more than $5K." So we don't even bother.

Young quality hunters change price pretty dramatically between 2-5. Why would I sell a top 2yo for $15K when I can get more than double that for it as a 3yo going well undersaddle? Those of us still in the breeding business aren't going to give away our best opportunities to make money in this market. We might be willing to cut deals on our average horses, but not on our best ones.
    Last edited by Bent Hickory; Dec. 5, 2012 at 01:37 PM.
    "That is why you have a pony..." - Edgewood, 2011

8 members found this post helpful.

Try gray fox farms. they breed hunters.

...searching for a 1-2 year old, unbroke TOP hunter prospect
    I guess my question is how does anyone know a 1-2 y/o is a TOP hunter prospect? It is not yet under saddle, so no way to gauge rideability, nor has it done any jumping, so no way to assess jump style and aptitude - and so on. So is it based purely on conformation, type and movement of the youngster? If so, it seems it would be really hard to make that assessment in a yearling, because they are often SO wonky looking - butt-high, gangly, with necks that seem to start somewhere between their front legs, etc. With most horses, you have to wait until they are well into the summer of their 2nd year (or later) before they start getting all the pieces and parts back into balance - and even then, they can be high behind and not able to engage the hindquarters well. And by then, you may as well wait and get them going u/s as 3 y/o's. As others have mentioned, you can usually get so much more for them at that point.

DO NOT TRY GRAY FOX FARM WITH JILL BURNELL! do search here first.
    Last edited by DeucesWild11; Dec. 5, 2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: spelling

12 members found this post helpful.

We have a few farms here in Texas with nice babies:
    My farm, Southern Oaks Farm, has 4 babies: 2 yearlings, 1 3 yr. old, 1 4 yr. old. All have shown & won on the line & in IHF. The 4 yr. old was Reserve Champion last yr at IHF Finals & was Champion USEF 3 yr. old Hunter Breeding.
    Hunt Farm has a number of winners on the line.
    Olde Oaks Farm has all the Shine babies, winning on the line as well.

Gray Fox, not Grey Fox. Grey Fox is a legit Jumper breeder, boy do I feel bad for them to be so easily confused with JB.

I love Shine... you should definitely look at his babies!

You might want to link the appropriate Grey/gray Fox Farms you're referring to, MagicTeeTango, as there are at least two GreyFF's that have hunters or event horses and of course the now infamous GrayFF...
    RIP Adriane, aka Eyesontheground, 6/4/83-9/14/09
    Proudly owned by:
    Veronica II (Vienna Waltz/Woermann)