The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    OMG, never heard of Tom Dvorak, but I can watch him ride for days. I don't usually have the attention span to watch an entire test, but I watched his!

Paula
    He is a very nice man as well. he was long listed for the Candian Olympic team. Glad you enjoyed
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    A judge apparently once told this pair "horse not suitable for dressage."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kQEVE0A3GA
    "Not suitable for dressage"? I think "not suitable for judging"!

I've always liked this vid!

Exvet: Thanks. I loved your post. Gives me hope.

FWIW i used to really worry about stuff like this.... but i had an epiphany.... what REALLY matters - more than a fancy horse is a horse that is willing to work *hard* and then you need to believe in yourself, your horse and your trainer.

then put your nose to the ground and work. bit by bit, day by day by slow increments you will be able to develop your horse.

if you dont have a good trainer find one. and it needs to be one who believes in your and your horse.

i gave up riding fancy pants WBs and now ride ponies - why? because they are a better size for me to really be able to influence and my current guy has a average trot and a good canter and a work ethic that is stellar.

we shall see how it goes

I had an instructor tell me that my TB had topped out at Second Level. A few weeks later at a schooling show/clinic, Max Gawyler thought differently and said, "See you next year at PSG!" (we never did show PSG but he did go on to learn pirouettes, tempis... what great fun! and a great learning experience.)

I heard Cindy Sydnor say in a clinic that any sound horse that could walk, trot and canter could do third level.

As someone else here said, no is deluding themselves that their average horse is going to the Olympics but there is no reason why you can't train an average horse to upper level movements. Dressage is supposed to gymnasticize and improve by systematic training what nature has given the horse. People would do themselves a favor to try to train their average horse as high as they can instead of worrying about buying a horse with awesome movement. If you can work your way up the levels with a less than perfect horse, you will learn much more than the gal who buys herself a fancy horse and then has to have the trainer ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    He is a very nice man as well. he was long listed for the Candian Olympic team. Glad you enjoyed
    AGREED!! He saved my bacon at a show a few years back. The ramp broke on my trailer and I was stranded with my horse.

He loaded her up, took her home to his barn, and kept her like a queen for a few days while I booked a trailer to ship her home.

A++++ for Dvorak in my books!

He's now one of those riders I study. Does he pronounce his last name like the composer Dvorak (deborjak) or as it's spelled (devorak)?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    FWIW i used to really worry about stuff like this.... but i had an epiphany.... what REALLY matters - more than a fancy horse is a horse that is willing to work *hard* and then you need to believe in yourself, your horse and your trainer.

then put your nose to the ground and work. bit by bit, day by day by slow increments you will be able to develop your horse.

if you dont have a good trainer find one. and it needs to be one who believes in your and your horse.

i gave up riding fancy pants WBs and now ride ponies - why? because they are a better size for me to really be able to influence and my current guy has a average trot and a good canter and a work ethic that is stellar.

we shall see how it goes
    I love this! I feel the same way. I have one off breed, and one prupose bred dressage horse, but she is an ok mover and quite small, but she fits me. I also decided it is about the journey instead of all that other stuff. There will always be someone with a fancier horse, and vice versa. Jusst love your horse for who they are, and try to make them better through your riding. Enjoy!

Love the videos on this thread!

I do find the comments funny though. The people on the dressage forum really CAN argue about anything. Geeze!

this is a awesome example of what correct training can do for the average horse.

thanks for posting this video. it is a LOVELY ride and lovely rider.