The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Parlanti via Beval- if you're considering..

In August of this year, I purchased a pair of Parlanti Miami's at Beval's mobile unit at Vermont Summer Festival. Although I absolutely love these boots, I was quickly ushered into buying a specific pair that had a MAJOR flaw, the extent of which I was able to see when I brought them several hours home from the horse show location. I had to send the boots back.. which I thought wouldn't be bad. This is one of the reasons I chose to deal with Beval as a source for the boots.. I expected good customer service. What I've been receiving, instead, is completely unacceptable. (I hope to keep others from having similar experiences!)

So.. the return process.. I called Beval to talk to them about returning the boots that I had just purchased at VSF. Here, the fun starts. Woman @ Beval Gladstone informs me that that is not possible. They have only ever sold the boots at HITS Saugerties. (This just looks bad.. the lack of knowledge..)
    Ok, so I convince her that I did, in fact, purchase boots in Vermont from BEVAL. Beval woman calls me back, she has spoken with all reps who worked that weekend. No one remembers selling any Parlantis that day, and their sales do not have a record of the $1,070 that I spent on that date. More fun.
    How bad does THAT look?

Now, I have to go to the trouble of sending Beval a copy of the receipt with amount, and Beval store with REP's name, AND show in my bank statement that the amount was taken from my account.

Next, they want pictures of the boots. No problem. After all of that, they agree that the boots need to be replaced with a new pair, however are completely unapologetic. At this point, I am corresponding with one person through email and at times the responses take many days.

Once I have sent the boots back and confirmed via my own tracking that they have been delivered, I wait to hear from them- but have to contact them to discuss when I might get my replacement boots. Ever since, I have been receiving a lot of the same answer: "SOON". No dates. In August, they due to arrive in September. Then something got delayed, and everything gets blamed on Parlanti. No apologies whatsoever.. no they will arrive in October. October rolls into November. I wait until almost the end of November, and now I've had about enough.

This time, a woman calling herself a manager tells me that, she TOTALLY gets it.. they are JUST as frustrated about me not having my boots as I am! Although empathetic, she has absolutely no idea when the Parlanti order will arrive. (Does Beval have no computer system? No common way to share information about customers when they call?) She now suggests that I call Carine, their Parlanti contact, MYSELF.. because they are not getting anywhere. Perhaps I'll have better luck!

I finally get through to Carine, and she is less than pleasant.. (openly expresses being pissed about Bevel giving out her number.. as she feels they should handle their own customers since this is NOT a custom order.. I AGREE!!) claims that she has communicated dates all along to Bevel. Basically: Parlanti says: it's all Beval's fault. Everything is on schedule. Carine tells me that my boots will definitely arrive the week of Thanksgiving.

I've called this week. They can't seem to even answer the simplest of questions: "DO YOU HAVE MY BOOTS?" That prompted "Oh I'll need to call you back." 8 hours later.. she tells me that a manager from the CT store will be calling me tomorrow. Aaaaannnndddd PUNT to the next person who will deny any responsibility for this problem.

Please.. any of you considering spending $1,070 at Beval for these boots, think twice. Or before spending a lot of money at Beval for anything that you might need to return, or that you might need ANY help with for that matter.

4 members found this post helpful.

Have you spoken with Beval management?

I'm amazed that you haven't just taken your money back & gone elsewhere to shop - you must really love these boots

Good Luck!

1 members found this post helpful.

I would kick up merry hell and contact Parlanti direct in Italy and let them know that their name is being slated by one of their vendors. I have never found Parlanti to be anything other than great to deal with. The August delay I can understand as they close for August.

2 members found this post helpful.

I am so sick of these "personal vendetta against so-and-so retailer" posts. They reek of "well I'll show you!". I am sorry you are having a problem, but why all this negative energy complaining about it? Can you be more of a solver and a mover on-er?

I do not think this type of post, about a one time personal issue, is in the spirit of the forums.

I have said it before and I am saying it again.... we are all going to pay the price when retailers have to be so afraid of this type of post that they spend inordinate time and money on avoiding problems. No retailer is going to be perfect, and problems like this are part of on-line shopping.
    friend of bar.ka

4 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    I am so sick of these "personal vendetta against so-and-so retailer" posts. They reek of "well I'll show you!". I am sorry you are having a problem, but why all this negative energy complaining about it? Can you be more of a solver and a mover on-er?

I do not think this type of post, about a one time personal issue, is in the spirit of the forums.

I have said it before and I am saying it again.... we are all going to pay the price when retailers have to be so afraid of this type of post that they spend inordinate time and money on avoiding problems. No retailer is going to be perfect, and problems like this are part of on-line shopping.
    The OP did not shop online. It sounds to me like she purchased her boots from the Beval mobile store at the VT Summer Festival horseshow.

In any case, I don't see anything wrong with sharing her experience on this forum. The BB is full of commentary about products and vendors, which is generally quite useful. I think it is perfectly legitimate to share a cautionary tale which may prevent someone else from having to deal with a difficult/unpleasant situation. Likewise, there are vendors who frequently get praised for their excellent service, and that is useful as well.

Kind of like our own personal Angie's List for equestrian goods and services

It is also a fact that publicizing a bad experience on the web can motivate an otherwise unresponsive vendor to make more of an effort to solve a problem, and after so many months, I would not blame the OP if she posted at least partly in the hope of getting Beval to be more helpful.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

10 members found this post helpful.

@ alto: Forgot to Reply with Quote.. Thank you.. I do REALLY love the boots..

Yes, I am going to..(let's see how much of a battle this is..) get a refund and purchase the boots through a retailer in Europe. I was just hesitant to do that.. I do NOT typically buy high ticket items online, through vendors that I can't speak to if I have an issue. However, look where my past choice got me. : )

Regarding Beval Management.. One of the people I have been speaking to, the person who asked me to contact Parlanti directly, IS management. Sigh.

As Lucassb pointed out, and as I stated in my OP, I purchased the boots at a horse show. No retailer is perfect? You read my experience and felt that Beval was just less than perfect in the past three months in this case? I'm sorry but you're a little off.

As I said, I was hesitant to make the post and I have NEVER made a post like this before. I have, however, sung the praises of the retailers that I love and have had great experiences with on this forum and I will continue to due so. What is the point of a message board if not to discuss our experiences, as human beings, and be honest, trying to help steer each other toward good things and away from others?

That is all that I try to do. This is my only negative post to date and I hope, my last. I didn't come on here to complain after a week... this is 3 months later!

And I'm sorry.. I am still trying to wrap my head around this particular sentence:
    "I have said it before and I am saying it again.... we are all going to pay the price when retailers have to be so afraid of this type of post that they spend inordinate time and money on avoiding problems."

"Inordinate time and money on avoiding problems.."? Which means what? Encouraging and ensuring good customer service is a waste of time? You don't need or expect that from your retailers? Not important to you? Oh, Okay. I guess the rest of us are strange. : )

2 members found this post helpful.

I am so sick of these personal vendettas posts. I am sorry you are having a problem, but why all this negative energy complaining about it? Can you be more of a solver and a mover on-er?

Wow. I see it the opposite way.

I want to know which retailers don't stand behind their products. It costs a lot of time to sort out an F-up on someone else's part, so I'm grateful to know when companies have customer service problems that they don't advertise.

Also, I think more of a company when they fix the problem and let the public see that. I'm ready to withhold kudos--- but also give those-- where they are due.

Last, I think good customer service is the cost of doing business. That raises prices in a way that consumer ought to prevent by not asking retailers to respond?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

8 members found this post helpful.

I disagree. The only way consumers know who to steer clear of is when other consumers share their bad experiences. The same with sharing good experiences which helps other consumers decide where they want to shop. I think sharing this information is totally appropriate.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

5 members found this post helpful.

I would contact Mark Walter, the President of Beval, and tell him your story.

I had a problem with a coat that I custom ordered through Beval. At the recommendation of one of the Sales people, I ordered a Grand Prix hunt coat in a Tall size. I am not really a tall person but have a long torso so I took her recommendation. When the coat finally came in (it took a loonnnng time) it was way too long everywhere and was not going to work. However, when I went to reorder it that day, the fabric had been discontinued and was no longer available. I received a full refund but was very unhappy with my experience....

I contacted Mark about my disappointment with the transaction and he responded to me directly and gave me a $50 gift certificate to Beval.

While this was not the coat I had ordered, I appreciated the gesture and his effort.

I believe his email is on the website and he is often at the New Canaan, CT location if you wanted to speak to him over the phone - just ask for him.
    Last edited by kafesoap; Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: additinoal detail for clarification

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kafesoap View Post
    I would contact Mark Walter, the President of Beval, and tell him your story.

I had a problem with a coat that I custom ordered through Beval. At the recommendation of one of the Sales people, I ordered a Grand Prix hunt coat in a Tall size. I am not really a tall person but have a long torso so I took her recommendation. When the coat finally came in (it took a loonnnng time) it was way too long everywhere and was not going to work. However, when I went to reorder it that day, the fabric had been discontinued and was no longer available. I received a full refund but was very unhappy with my experience....

I contacted Mark about my disappointment with the transaction and he responded to me directly and gave me a $50 gift certificate to Beval.

While this was not the coat I had ordered, I appreciated the gesture and his effort.

I believe his email is on the website and he is often at the New Canaan, CT location if you wanted to speak to him over the phone - just ask for him.
    Thank you for this. I have looked, but had not found such a contact previously. I will try to get in touch with him directly.

I have said it before and I am saying it again.... we are all going to pay the price when retailers have to be so afraid of this type of post that they spend inordinate time and money on avoiding problems.
    I don't know, I don't necessarily feel that the expectation of competence in negotiating a transaction is out of line.

It is unreasonable to expect people to be competent enough to avoid problems now?

5 members found this post helpful.

I'd like to think the inordinate amount of time would be spend on educating their staff so service is exceptional and they are able to communicate effectively, even if this means sharing bad news with the customer. There are ways to do this and turn the not-so-great-situation into a positive experience.

You know...pound of prevention is worth an ounce of cure

1 members found this post helpful.

I can vouch for the fact that the Parlanti distributors in the US (Luca and Carine) are a NIGHTMARE to deal with. They make promises that are consistently broken, and then refuse to answer or return phone calls. So, although you may be having a huge problem with Beval, it is probable that they are also having issues getting your boots.

Quote Originally Posted by 63signals View Post
    I got my Parlanti Miami Boots at justriding.com I paid $580 + $50 delivery to my door!

I have had no problems they fit like a glove are beautiful and only dropped in Height around 0.5cms...
    Bumped an old thread just to share that tidbit, huh?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/