The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rain sheet

Does anyone have any recommendations for a rain sheet? Currently, I have a no fill Rambo and am looking for something more lightweight and more breathable. See, I have a gray horse who lives outside 24/7 and who makes it his mission in life to roll and get dirt everywhere. He is so proud of himself when he does it too...like turn and look at me then roll, then look at me again proud.

He's pretty hardy and rarely needs anything beyond his no fill turn out to stay warm when it gets cold (unclipped). I'm looking for something that will be waterproof so I can leave him in it when its warm and rainy/muddy, so that I maybe don't have so much mud to clean off. I keep finding other no fills or the sleazy type. I'm hoping there is something in between.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/amigo-m...et/p/X1-24078/
    I bought this thinking it was a "lite" but it really has nothing to it and is practically a rain sheet for him.

Both my boys are on turn out 24/7 and I put this on him w chances of poor weather (snow, rain, sleet) and its been great.

Schneider's Storm Shields are what my guys are in. They have a few different fits for different builds. My mare has one of the inexpensive blanket liners to go under her sheet on colder days.

1 members found this post helpful.

Love my Horze rain sheet. http://www.horze.com/Horze-Avalanche...&cgid=rainrugs

And right now its 50% off with the Code MERRYCHRISTMAS
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I was thinking of the Horze one. I have ordered several things from Horze and have been pleased with everything. Is it pretty breathable? Could a horse wear it in the spring when it's starting to warm up? I love my Rambo but I think what makes it so great and durable will make him hot when it's spring.

The only reason I got to thinking about this is from last weekend when it was about70 degrees, not summer 70 but a spring like 70 where you could still feel the cool air but it was pouring down rain.

I thought about this one from Schneider's but for some reason it says "not for unsupervised turnout," but yet from the reviews it looks like some people have used it for T/O. http://www.sstack.com/Horse-Blankets...ro-Rain-Sheet/

Has anyone used that sheet? Thoughts?

I like the Pessoa rain sheet - it has a mesh lining (but smooth nylon at the shoulders) which really helps keep them dry, especially if they like to run around and work up a bit of a sweat in pasture.

It seems really well made - double stitching at all of the seams etc. Cool little details – like a special pocket for removing accumulated hair.

It has survived two winters on my youngster until she out grew it - then it got donated - it was still in PERFECT shape!

I've had really good luck with SmartPak brand blankets/sheets. Order them one size down from what you'd normally order in other brands.

Those aren't for turnout. The material wouldn't hold up. The Storm Shield ones are awesome though. They have no fill at all so you could use it for most of the year.

Thumbs up Sunshower sheet awesomeness

Bucas Sunshower Sheet. Hands down the best thing we ever did for a sensitive TB who would break out in hives when rained on.

It has teflon coating making it very UV reflective so he would not sweat in the sun/heat, and it has a light fly sheet feel on the underside. This was the first full summer we had him on it, and it was the first summer he didn't have fungus or hives. We put it on whenever there was a 30% chance or more of showers (although our horses come in if it is 60% or more or thunderstorms).

If the temps are cool enough to go out in his light weight t/o sheet, he wears that (mostly winter & sometimes in early spring/late fall). But in warmer temps (like tomorrow, when it is going to be 70 degrees in Dec with a chance of rain ), he wears his bucas.

I LOFF it.
    www.englishivyfarms.com
    Hunters, Jumpers, & Welsh Ponies
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown

You can't really get both waterproof and breathable.

I second the Pessoa sheet as it's durable and mesh lined. The mesh lining makes me much more comfortable in terms of leaving it on when it's in the 50s and raining, for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

You can't really get both waterproof and breathable.

I second the Pessoa sheet as it's durable and mesh lined. The mesh lining makes me much more comfortable in terms of leaving it on when it's in the 50s and raining, for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

I've had good luck with Dover's Riders International Sheets. They also have a mesh lining and do well in the rain.

I think the lighter denier Riders International sheet is more comfortable on warm days than the heavier denier Riders International Supreme line of sheets, but I like both.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/rider%2...uumf45uex53v55

http://www.doversaddlery.com/rider-s...re=viewbuyrec/
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Quote Originally Posted by candysgirl View Post
    Those aren't for turnout. The material wouldn't hold up.
    I can't tell if you're referring to what I suggested - but they are for turnout.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartp...x?cm_vc=Search

Waterproof and breathable can coexist. Light and durable cannot, in my experience. The lightest sheet I've come across is the Amigo. I really, really love it as it is feather light and waterproof. However, it is 600 denier and rips easily.

It is *way* lighter than the Riders International and the Horze ones (I have both). Can't say vis a vis the others mentioned on this thread.

If you don't have other horses that are going to bite your horse on the butt then it may be worth a try!