The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My British friend throws all new leather goods-including saddles-into the bath tub. She has always done it that way and swears it is the only way to break-in tack.
    If I threw my Antares in the tub, I might as well throw my money into the toilet..but everyone has their own means of doing everything!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Also, saddles from 30+ years ago are not the same as today's saddles. I remember those saddles. They needed help breaking them in. Big time. For today's saddles, I think a less expensive saddle might not survive it too well and a nice French leather saddle could survive it (and should be able to handle being wet) but probably shouldn't need that much help.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

1 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Well...I'd post this on the Eventing forum (replies here and all) and watch the rolley-eye icons come flying out. Rain happens, even when you are showing..or simply taking a lesson.

Here in the PNW, if we stayed inside every time the rain started, we wouldn't ride outside much of the year. Getting oiled, well-cared for leather wet, even soaking wet, won't hurt it. I don't think I'd start by dumping my saddle in a water trough, but hunters are the same people who use the "bath tub method" to break in new boots....just saying....
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Would I purposely soak it? No. Do I ride in the rain in any of my saddles? Yep! I put mink oil on them and just carry on. I condition a couple times a year with Stubben's Hammanol (mine are all Stubbens) and a few times with mink oil. If I didn't ride in the rain, I'd not ride for several months out of the year.

My saddles are 5-30+ years old. None look any worse for the wear and all have been soaked several times in the rain.

It got wet when it was still attached to the cow.

It's an old cowboy trick I've heard of. Throw your saddle in the trough and ride it dry, then condition the bejeezus out of it.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

leather is usually ok with getting wet, but the interior of a saddle isn't made of leather- if the saddle just gets rained on, the interior of the saddle isn't going to get totally soaked through, but if you toss it in the bathtub it will.
    What are you going to do if the soaked flocking starts to grow mildew in it, or never dries out and slowly rots away, or the wet tree warps while it's wet and then dries in a deformed position? or the stitching starts to rot out?

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyQ View Post
    It got wet when it was still attached to the cow.
    Yes, but the cow had its own personal neatsfoot oil circulating into the skin.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Yes, but the cow had its own personal neatsfoot oil circulating into the skin.
    Touche'
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Mine's got soaked from rain.......a lot and it's just fine! Actually, when we ride outside after it's rained and it's muddy I take my girth, bridle, stirrup leathers and just hose them all off! Let them air dry (not in direct sunlight) and then condition. They are all fine.......my thinking is "you don't see cows shrinking and shriveling and they basically ARE leather so why worry"
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Can't say I'd intentionally dunk my saddle into a tub of water/hose it down, but I have ridden in the rain before, and it's no worse for wear. I've never gotten it soaking wet, though.

Of course I RIDE in the rain, either at shows or sometimes at home to make sure me and my horse are used to going in the rain, but will i purposely take my saddle and sit it outside in the rain to just soak. Heck no!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Well...I'd post this on the Eventing forum (replies here and all) and watch the rolley-eye icons come flying out. Rain happens, even when you are showing..or simply taking a lesson.

Here in the PNW, if we stayed inside every time the rain started, we wouldn't ride outside much of the year. Getting oiled, well-cared for leather wet, even soaking wet, won't hurt it. I don't think I'd start by dumping my saddle in a water trough, but hunters are the same people who use the "bath tub method" to break in new boots....just saying....

I actually did hose down my daughter's Stubben Edelweiss several times during the breaking in process. It worked beautifully. I have also used the bathtub method to break in Ariat boots several times with great success. I had oiled and conditioned the saddle numerous times and the leather was stiff and slick. Out of desperation (and because I had had such good results with the boots) I hosed it down. Let it dry and oiled it again. I did this several times and the leather turned beautifully soft. I've read threads where people hated these saddles because they wouldn't break in but my daughter's saddle is perfect. In fact recently a lady in the barn who had borrowed it, tried to buy it. Her trainer, who owns a Hermes and a Luc Childeric, rode in it while it was being borrowed, and was pleasantly surprised at how much she liked the saddle. I can assure you that neither one of them would have touched it before I did the hose bath.