The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry DVD from Equus? Really?

Anyone else get one of these junk Julie Goodnight DVDs claiming to be from Equus Magazine? What a nuisance to have to return this junk at this time of year! Called their customer service number, but naturally they were closed. Just had to vent!

Yes, I got one. Annoyed the heck out of me. I immediately packaged it to send back.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

you don't need to return it.

1 members found this post helpful.

I had Equus years ago. Didn't like it. So stopped buying.
    No end of mail and calls.
    Really disliked that they bugged me like that.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

You don't have to return anything that is sent to you by mail, that you didn't order.

My son took an NRA safety course, through a local instructor, as part of his Boy Scout badges...the kids all got a junior membership, or something. Several months ago now, he got a video in the mail from them, part of a series-about firearms, of course.

He never ordered it, never watched it. Then the phone calls started, wanting payment-at $24.95 + shipping, or something like that!!! I politely informed them they were welcome to send anything they wanted to our house, but nothing would be returned nor paid for, since it was unsolicited mail.

Part two of the series never arrived....

8 members found this post helpful.

It comes with a prepaid envelope to mail it back.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

yes, got this today. Very pissed that this happened. I'm glad my subscription is ending, won't be renewing.

As noted, you don't have to return it. It's totally legal for them to send you something unsolicited and ask you to return it - but once you tell them you won't and to stop bothering you they can't put it on your credit or keep pestering you or it becomes harassment. They also can't tell you that you HAVE to return it, as you don't. It used to be a form of "sales technique" to send unsolicited products and demand payment which is the reason for the laws protecting you.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    As noted, you don't have to return it. It's totally legal for them to send you something unsolicited and ask you to return it - but once you tell them you won't and to stop bothering you they can't put it on your credit or keep pestering you or it becomes harassment. They also can't tell you that you HAVE to return it, as you don't. It used to be a form of "sales technique" to send unsolicited products and demand payment which is the reason for the laws protecting you.
    I wish I had known this. I do have a subscription from them that I don't read and don't plan to renew. I sent the cd back with a note telling them that because of the stupid cd, I wanted them to cancel everything and do not contact me again.

I got it too and chucked the whole thing out, not bothering to read it. Did I miss something? They are charging, or trying to charge for this? Guess I should have read it! I only opened it to separate the recyclable from the non.

I subscribed to Equus this year and like others here, plan not to renew. It is cheap, so good there, but haven't really found it worth my time to read it.

Nope, don't need to return anything that anyone sends you unsolicited in the mail. Tell them to pound sand. Or pee up a rope.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Hmm. That's dirty. I'd file a complaint with the FTC.... orwhatever other agencies might be interested.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

It says in the Equus paper work you CAN KEEP THE DVD free of charge. This is at the END of reading everything else. They would like you to pay, but you DON'T HAVE TO PAY for the DVD.

I still have to watch it, am not going to pay for it. Stuff you don't order that is sent to you is a "GIFT". You do NOT NEED TO PAY for it. Give the DVD to someone else if you like. Consider the DVD as an early Christmas present!!

They're not SUPPOSED to Harass you. But boy they were horrid back when I quit subscribing. Bugged the snot out of me by mail and by phone.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

Y'all need something more important to be pi**ed off about.

It specifically says in the letter that you are not required to return the DVD. They want you to order future mailings but if you don't you can keep the first freebie. So really there's nothing to be upset about. Pitch it if you don't want it. They won't send you anymore unless you sign up and if they do, you still don't have to pay for anything you did not order.

2 members found this post helpful.

I just got it today, too. VERY annoyed. I did send it back with a nasty not. They have my credit card, so I don't want to deal with blocking it.

I do like Equus. They report a lot of the more recent studies and health, which I like, and I really like the conformation series. The regular articles can be banal, but there is good information in there no on else keeps up on.

I hope they get the message with this.

It's so interesting to see this thread just now, as I received my DVD this morning. I was immediately put off by the way it was worded, and called Customer Service, and politely and respectfully gave my feedback. My feedback being that even though it does say on the back page you are entitled to keep the DVD without paying (which is the law by the way), the verbiage and marketing spin of the circular lends one to believe they have to reply in one way or the other, or you are going to start getting DVDs in the mail and be expected to pay for them. I told them that I previously thought Equus was too fine of an organization to resort to such sales tactics that smacks of the old "book club" days, and that I would seriously have to consider whether to renew my subscription, even though I've been a subscriber for years.
    I have no idea whether this feedback will get any further than whomever answered the call, but you can catch alot more flies with honey... (and don't get me wrong, I was pretty disgusted by it)... but now I will enjoy watching the FREE DVD.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I just got it today, too. VERY annoyed. I did send it back with a nasty not. They have my credit card, so I don't want to deal with blocking it.

I do like Equus. They report a lot of the more recent studies and health, which I like, and I really like the conformation series. The regular articles can be banal, but there is good information in there no on else keeps up on.

I hope they get the message with this.
    Ditto.....my susbscription is about to expire and I am annoyed enough that I will not renew.

Darn, I feel left out. I have been getting Equus for at least 5 years and have never gotten anything unsolicited, and never a phone call either. I do like the magazine and after I am finished with each issue I bring it to my barn to share with others.
    We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!