The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Managing pastern vasculitis; Gentaved?

I have a gelding that has pastern vasulitis (diagnosed by appearance and response to topical steroids, versus standard treatment for scratches). I have been treating him with topical hydrocortisone and antibiotic cream, and this helps, but I have a big gunky mess with dirt and bedding every day, which means I either scrub that off and aggravate his skin, or do nothing, which doesn't help.

I asked my vet about using Genesis spray (based on my searches here) and he said that would be fine, and his clinic carried it. His clinic staff says they don't, and I think he's thinking of Gentaved, because he also mentioned betamathasone.

My question: Has anyone used Gentaved for this issue? Having a spray on antibiotic-steroid combo seems like a good idea, but I'm not sure about this particular drug combo. I generally have to keep him wrapped or booted to keep the sun off as well, and I want to make sure I don't use something that will cause irritation underneath. I'm sure I could get them to order Genesis if needed.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Could you describe just what pastern vasculitis is?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lorilu View Post
    Could you describe just what pastern vasculitis is?
    thanks
    I believe the proper term would be pastern leukoclastic vasculitis, or photoaggravated leukoclastic vasculitis of the pastern, or similar.

I believe it is an inflammation of the vasculature, often just presenting on pink skin (the "photo" part, due to sun/UV aggravation), and common on the pasterns/lower legs. Often looks just like scratches, but an entirely different etiology/treatment. It may have an immune/auto-immune component.

1 members found this post helpful.

Not sure what the difference is between betamethasone vs triamcinolone, but you may want to discuss this with your vet.

If the condition is chronic you may also want your vet to discuss the possibility of also using pentoxifylline with the dermatology department at UC Davis. It was a combination of pentoxifylline and steroids that cleared up my horse's vasculitis.

I have used Genesis spray alone with great results. Also did a 21 day course of Tucoprim for the secondary bacterial infection. This is a great reference:

cp.vetlearn.com/Media/PublicationsArticle/PVE_02_07_214.pdf

I still advocate a biopsy for a complete diagnosis.
    Chestnut Creek Farm
    Visit us on Facebook!

also you can try Alushield, which is over the counter
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

Quote Originally Posted by baylady7 View Post
    also you can try Alushield, which is over the counter
    Did you use this for scratches, or vasculitis? I have wondered about it as a sun barrier. I have also wondered about spray-on sunscreen...

I am waiting for a call back from my vet regarding GentaVet vs Genesis. The former definitely being more expensive. I did find reference to betamethasone being suitable for LV. Not sure about the gentamicin.

Default Pastern Leukocytoclastic vasculitis

CrowneDragon, here's a thread talking about PLV. I've just gotten the biopsy back on my horse who we(vet and I) treated for scratches for the last 2 months until last wk when we did the biopsy and it's confirmed he has vasculitis. I'm just starting the first treatment regime that we are trying with him and that's the oral dexamethasone. Hope you get your horse healed and am hoping my boy gets doing better fast.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...tic-Vasculitis
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

For future reference, we (my vet and I) ended up deciding to try the gentamicin-betamathasone spray since they had it in stock, and it has worked very nicely. After 2 weeks of daily treatment (missed a couple of days in there), his lesions are 90% healed. I will continue to treat until his skin looks normal, which I imagine will be within another week.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    For future reference, we (my vet and I) ended up deciding to try the gentamicin-betamathasone spray since they had it in stock, and it has worked very nicely. After 2 weeks of daily treatment (missed a couple of days in there), his lesions are 90% healed. I will continue to treat until his skin looks normal, which I imagine will be within another week.
    Glad to hear your horse is doing well. I started with the Genesis spray after the 1st week on dex not doing anything. Still on dex and Genesis spray twice/day and other than the biopsy spots, everything seems to be healing. I need to call the vet to see if I can start to taper off the dex and Genesis spray now.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Knock on wood, but I have a pony who got this every summer, and she was susceptible to rain rot in the winter. Her legs blew up like tree trunks one summer, had to get the vet out, etc. I put her on ground flax (not quite a cup a day)last year and haven't seen any problems ever since. Plus she has a super shiny, super soft coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash44 View Post
    Knock on wood, but I have a pony who got this every summer, and she was susceptible to rain rot in the winter. Her legs blew up like tree trunks one summer, had to get the vet out, etc. I put her on ground flax (not quite a cup a day)last year and haven't seen any problems ever since. Plus she has a super shiny, super soft coat.
    Hm, this sounds like it's worth trying. My boy only gets it in the fall and in the past have treated him for scratches even with no mud anyway. It would generally take several months till it finally went away. This yr was when it kept getting worse and I finally had the vet do a biopsy.

I'll see if either feed store has ground flax, or if I have to go to a health food store.
    Sue

Genatmicin-betamethasone spray is my go-to choice for refractory scratches.
    Works like a charm in most cases, and doesn't leave the debris-attracting goo that many touted miracle cures do.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

If your feed store does not carry ground flax, you can get whole flax seeds and grind it with a coffee grinder although it's a bit tedious. Ground flax is usually good for about 90 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash44 View Post
    If your feed store does not carry ground flax, you can get whole flax seeds and grind it with a coffee grinder although it's a bit tedious. Ground flax is usually good for about 90 days.
    I'll bet a food processer could also grind it up pretty well. Thanks for the tip.
    Sue

For vasculitis, has worked very well, easily ordered online or purchased in most tack/feed stores.
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org