The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone heard of Jimmy Saddlery? Also child saddle question..

Local tack store has a 14inch saddle (I measured) with the brand of Jimmy Saddlery on it. I can tell it's got some age on it, a little bit dry and some of the stiches are a bit loose but still looks decent. As far as I could tell the tree is sounds. It's a close contact. It looks like it might fit my pony. They are asking $60..is that a good price?

Here's the other question. Is a 14inch too big for a 43inch almost 6yr old and I have a 38' almost 4year old. I know it's probably better to go and take the kids to see but it's 45min away and its just hard to find the time to get over there.

Jimmy's 21st Century Saddlery is an old and respected brand. The bridles are prettier and more famous that their saddles.

You are probably looking at a very old, flat close contact saddle. It might be narrow by modern standards. Most likely, the panels are flocked with foam and thin.

The price is great-- for just about any serviceable saddle. But make sure that it is.

A 14" is a very small saddle. I'm not an expert on little kid-sized saddles. If this one didn't work, I'd think the only one that would be better is a lead line saddle.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

My DD is 5, and about 38" tall, I would guess (Am I a bad parent because I dont know??? She's to my boobs. There.) Her saddle is a 14" and is huge on her. Her legs don't even come to the end of the flaps and her teeny butt doesn't really cover much of the saddle.

I would say it will serve my daughter for quite a few years, at least.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

If everything looks good on it 14" isn't too big. My 8 yo measures for a 12.5" but I got a 14.5 saddle, it's a better fit than her using my 16.5" and she has room to grow into it more before we have to look again so I would say if everything else seems decent on it, go for it!
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

I only know the measurements because of dr. appointments ;0) and a kids roller coaster.

I went back to see if my oldest fit and he does! The seat size is perfect but his leg are still a little short..looks like he will fit in no time. The stitching was a bit loose in the front so they are going to fix it for me.

The brand just says Jimmy Saddlery made in england.