The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Cleaning Out the Horse Owner's Vehicle...

Am I the only one with a full size, gas guzzling tack trunk/saddle shop/feed store/veterinary pharmacy on wheels? While cleaning out Big Red today...

a variety of saddle pads
    a stitch ripper (um, I haven't braided anyone in 5 years, wth?)
    clipper blades
    an old Dover sale catalog
    1 dozen tubes of dewormer
    a bucket
    riding gloves
    hay hauling gloves
    a dressage saddle
    2 overlay girths (no dressage girths)
    insulated winter barn chore gloves
    a Virginia Horse Center ball cap circa 1989 (taking it to antiques roadshow)
    a pair of half chaps
    a Barbour coat
    OLD spur straps w/the western belt buckle look (no actual spurs though)
    sketchy looking apple biscuits/horse treats
    hitch cover
    hitch pin
    an NCDCTA pin the same age as the VHC ball cap (again, wth?)

Other random things popped up in the console like bandage pins...I'm cracking up over that one! Big Red is a '03 model - my riding "hiatus" began in '07.

What are the rest of you hauling around in your vehicles?!?!?

2 members found this post helpful.

My truck got broken into a few months back. I thought I didn't have anything 'of worth' in there and was gobsmacked that my junk had an insurance value of a couple of thousand and that was the depreciated value! The bits and bobs in my grooming box were $650 alone... for ordinary old brushes, hoof picks and fly spray etc. I had binoculars that I used to watch my daughter eventing but she hasn't evented for 5-6 years. I had headlamps for unloading at night, spare sweater just in case, sunblock for me and the horse. The thing the thieves didn't take, which I'm still puzzling over was the cash I had stashed in the ashtray which I kept there in case I forgot my entry fee for the organized treks I go on

In my '97 Camry, in the back window are a Rood and Riddle ball cap that I bought at WEG, a camo ball cap and a UK ball cap. There were my tall boot socks and paddock boots, a bunch of towels and stuff and in the trunk 80# of Standlee pellets and a 100' long power cord. There used to be a brand new pony bridle stlll in the bag, been there for a year or more, but I took that out last week and gave it to DD to give to a friend as a gift. Even if we didn't have horses the thing would be a rolling trash bin.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

2 members found this post helpful.

Just cleaned out my car today, the stink was getting to me.

Found a dirty sheet that I meant to take home and wash. Oops.

Also pulled out 4 bags of pelleted bedding,a bag of feed, a girth, saddle pad, bit, and helmet.

I just noticed a complete set of gullets for my Bates saddle has been in the Tahoe for ages. Why do I have TWO pairs of Danskos and some duck boots in there? Also, two coats (Barbour & LL Bean canvas barn coat w/ liner) in additionto a rain jacket seem like more than necessary for GA....
    Y'all ain't right!

In 2006 right before Christmas I took my Sequoia to the dealership to have something worked on. They found a pretty big problem and since it had over 200k miles on it we decided pretty spur of the moment to get a new Sequioa. The salesman not only took us out to lunch but actually came to my house to clean the old car out! Poor guy was horrified! The Sequoias have pockets and cubby holes all over the place. Stick your hand in and you may pull out a hoof pick, a wad of hay or a petrified chicken nugget...

3 members found this post helpful.

Lord, I need to go through my truck and clean it out. I have a fully stocked tack room in there!

1 members found this post helpful.

You should see my Jeep right now.
    I just moved barns the other day and have yet to empty it of every. single. piece. of tack I own. Which actually isn't that much! lol. But there's not much room left for anything else. I have to take it all to the barn on Wednesday so I have room for the boxes I have yet to pack my room up in. Hehe.

I don't own a horse and only ride a few times a week, but can guarantee right now in my car there are:
    tall boots, paddock boots, half chaps.
    Light weight breeches, denim breeches.
    Three shirts to change into at work.
    Lead rope, possibly a bridle.
    Three dirty saddle pads (wooooops).
    Pair of spurs, even though it's been over a year since I rode that horse...
    at least one crop and one hairnet still in its package.
    Two pairs of riding gloves that are even skankier than the saddle pads.
    New stiff brush that hasn't made it into my tack locker.

I really need to clean out my car, BUT the zipper to my tall boots busted right as I was mounting up for a lesson a few weeks ago. I was able to lead the horse over to my tack shop on wheels and switch boots and half chaps (once my trainer freed me from the busted boot!). That's not exactly encouraging me to ever remove at least the footwear options from my car!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I realized today that the guy who loaded the grain into my trunk had a full view of my drug box. Containing:

Two bottles of banamine (one almost empty)
    Vial of dormosedan
    Vial of ace
    Vial of xylazine
    Bottle of TMS tabs
    Several needles and syringes

Hopefully he's a horse person and doesn't just think I'm a drug addict.

Since nothing is really rideable right now and we're dealing with a veterinary head scratcher, I've really only got the drugs with me. Of course, the Excede, omeprazole, rifampin, probiotics and bio-sponge are all at home...

Sigh.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I get flack all the time from family for my car smelling of horse and all the "junk" I have!!

^But a car that smells like horse is the best!
    Mine currently smells like leather and it makes me want to keep my saddles in there all the time!

My car died for the last time recently (I keep them until they cannot go any further!) and for the time being my husband and I are sharing a vehicle. It is not going well! He hates the smell of horse stuff and hates when anyone leaves anything in the truck. I miss having everything I need with me when I need it. I cannot believe how many times I have needed a halter or a leadrope in the past couple of weeks and of course have not had one with me.

For years when I was living with the 'rents, my father would claim heart failure whenever he saw my car. Mom hated having to move it in the am before work, as she got horse hair all over her clothes. My car, my stuff, you don't like it, don't drive it!

Jokes on them now! After buying a sailboat and joining some racing teams, they are just starting to understand why you need a complete wardrobe on wheels. You never know when you're going to need another layer or a rainjacket or a sun hat...

I drive an Accent and the poor thing overfloweth. It probably isn't as bad right now, but recently it was stuffed with:

3 midweight blankets
    1 heavyweight blanket
    1 fleece cooler
    1 Irish knit sheet
    5 pairs of tall boots
    1 pair of clogs
    2 pairs of sneakers
    2 jackets
    2-3 vests
    5-6 saddle pads
    3 towels
    1 bag of grain
    1 case of water
    2 full-sized girths
    1 dressage girth
    2 bridles
    2 pairs of dress shoes for work
    1 medical kit
    and assorted other "stuff" that I keep in my car or that I've forgotten is in there, because I really, REALLY need to clean it out. My boyfriend keeps mentioning that we need to go get plastic tubs from Target to at least orgaize it, but I'm not sure I want him seeing everything that might be hidden in there.

Even better was that last week, a friend and I had to make a Costco run with the majority of that stuff in the back seat and the trunk. Let's just say that trying to stuff plus-sized containers of detergent, toilet paper, Muscle Milk, frozen & fresh vegetables, pillows, and various other needed items was rather entertaining.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I realized today that the guy who loaded the grain into my trunk had a full view of my drug box. Containing:

Vial of dormosedan
    Vial of ace
    Vial of xylazine
    Bottle of TMS tabs

Since nothing is really rideable right now and we're dealing with a veterinary head scratcher, I've really only got the drugs with me. Of course, the Excede, omeprazole, rifampin, probiotics and bio-sponge are all at home...

Sigh.
    Simkie!!! This made me laugh hysterically! I'm sad the critters are all 100% right now and I'm also worried what might happen if you should have a chance encounter with a cop & drug-dog...will they alert b/c of the pharmacy in your vehicle?? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post

Vial of dormosedan
    Vial of ace
    Vial of xylazine
    Bottle of TMS tabs

Sigh.
    Simkie!!! This made me laugh hysterically! I'm sad the critters are all 100% right now and I'm also worried what might happen if you should have a chance encounter with a cop & drug-dog...will they alert b/c of the pharmacy in your vehicle?? LOL

Haha no, my trunk has all kinds of horse stuff in it - my grooming kit, a bridle, a lunge whip and lunge line (my horse isn't even in work or rideable, she's retired!), halter, leads, bag of treats, a sweatshirt in case it's cold out, etc. I live an hour+ from my horse and only get to see her a couple of times a month to boot! But you always have to be prepared...to see the horse haha
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I finally resorted to getting a plastic trunk and putting it in the cargo area of my car. (It's a sport wagon) Anything that's horse related goes in there so I don't end up with dirty horse stuff everywhere.

Now my old Suburban that pulls the trailer is another story. It's packed to the gills with everthing under the sun! I keep meaning to clean and organize it all, but the task is quite daunting and I keep coming up with excuses not to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    True Story; I used to work at a Federal Agency with major security systems, as in checkpoints at parking lot entrances, where your vehicle was searched for bombs, etc. I usually drove a sedate hatchback vehicle to work, which only occasionally was used for horse things. One weekend it did get used to haul grain, including a bag of rice bran that leaked a bit. The bomb dog was quite interested in that, the guard was less sure. We had a rather lengthy discussion about horse feed and who I was.

*Star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

3 members found this post helpful.