The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

No longer leave chaps/boots in the car. They're now in the house, by the door - too cold!

But cleaned out my car, and leaving halter/lead shank in. You never know when you'll run into a loose horse!

Had to remove the mints, and mid-weight cooler, though. The mice had started to make a little home. Had moved the mints and created a nice little pile in one fold of the blanket, and then removed them from their wrappers, one at a time! There would be one wrapper, and then the whole pile left for later. Hate the mice around here. I've even figured out that they move the pens from my console to the floor under my seat. Are they lumber for larger car dwellings??
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPony View Post
    I finally resorted to getting a plastic trunk and putting it in the cargo area of my car. (It's a sport wagon) Anything that's horse related goes in there so I don't end up with dirty horse stuff everywhere.
    Good idea! Im getting a new car on Thursday, and yes- cleaning out my old one...was interesting. lol The service guys were asking me about the hay in the back. lol

Several years ago, a friend & I drove from New Hampshire to Illinois & back for the American Eventing Championships. The Suburban that we used for towing was, as you can imagine, crammed with stuff, including an air mattress, pillows & sleeping bag in the back so we could each take naps in (illegal, I know) comfort while the other drove. Drove through the night to get home from Illinois, unloaded horses, did not unload anything else in our tiredness & parked the truck in my driveway. Where a tree then fell on it. It got hauled off to the autobody shop as-is, and I swear the folks in the auto body shop that worked on the truck thought I was living out of it!

3 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

It would look bad for me if I got pulled over right now. I have a whole bunch of un-flavored bute- white powder- and needles and syringes in the glove box.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I had a box full of supplements in baggies that have all white powderish items in them (MSM, Cool Calories, Electrolytes) in the back of my truck. My boyfriend took my truck while I took the F350 and went to a show. He was bringing his friends from work out to lunch and did nit realize my supps were in the back. One of his guy friends mentioned it and was being a smart ass about it being drugs. My boyfriend said "sure go ahead and taste it" knowing full well that supplements taste like crap and the guy I guess was getting on his nerves. The guy tasted it, like a moron, and spit it out the window. He got razzed all the way through lunch.

I have a metal tool box in the back of all my trucks for storage. Usually I have my floor jack, old blankets (horse), halter and lead, tow hitches, pins, duct and electrical tape, helmet, gloves, tire iron, water jug, oil, tranny fluid, and numerous pairs of boots. It is also where I stick the dirty horse things to get washed so they don't stink up my truck.

The truck inside the cab has saddle pads, electrolyte paste and ulcer guard in the door panels, horse treats in random places, towels, coggins/show folder, flashlights, bungie cords, bailing twine, water bottles, deodorant, perfume, hair ties around the gear shift, cheap sunglasses, old horse mags, ball caps, and socks.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Thanks!! You have let me know I'm not that weird after all!!!!

No, no., no.... don't clean it out! That stuff is protecting the upholstery!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Without going out to check, I believe my car currently contains the following:

2 dog crates, one of which has a saddle pad in it, because.
    fleece half pad (or at least I hope it's in there somewhere because I can't find it now)
    multiple saddle pads
    3 girths
    a bucket
    somewhere, a bucket strap, which I also can't find
    fly sheet
    assorted fly masks in various states of disintegration
    one relatively solid fly mask
    all but one gullet out of my saddle's gullet changing system
    somewhere, the gullet sizer, which I also can't find
    many pairs of wellies
    a western saddle pad that I keep meaning to sell
    assorted brushes and grooming supplies
    two very muddy/crusty polos that I keep meaning to wash
    a salt block holder
    hopefully, the bag of spare bridle parts that I've been looking for
    whatever's left in the bottle of Miracle Groom that spilled in the trunk
    a strong smell of Miracle Groom
    probably all the gloves I've ever lost

This morning it also had my saddle, another saddle pad, helmet, gloves, treats and whip, but I brought those back to the barn today. Life was easier when I wasn't limited to how many trunks full of crap I could keep in the tack room for my single horse...

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

PSA to those who keep tack in their cars: Maybe most people realize this, but I didn't so here goes....

I was in a car accident not too long ago. Car was taken to towing place. By the time we got there to remove the stuff it was all stolen. Would have been absurdly easy as windows were smashed. Thank goodness my laptop had been recovered, but $400 worth of scuba gear got stolen, 2 Vera Bradley duffel bags that were intended to be Christmas presents, a silver ring, and an Ipod touch. The scuba stuff would've been in there regardless because I was coming back from scuba, but everything else could have been saved if I had just taken it out of the car!!

Needless to say now EVERYTHING comes out of my car. The only thing I leave in there is a phone charger. I keep my riding stuff in a duffel and transport it (tack room is not locked so I am uncomfortable leaving it there), which is a pain, but I refuse to have more expensive gear stolen.

Not that any of us plan to get in an accident/have our cars towed, but you never know what might happen.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

You keep your scuba gear in Vera Bradley bags? That ROCKS!!

1 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    You keep your scuba gear in Vera Bradley bags? That ROCKS!!
    hahahahaa no....VB bags were Christmas gifts. They were brand new, all wrapped up and everything which stings even more.

Although...if VB made bags big enough & waterproof to contain my scuba gear I might consider it! LOL
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey