The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Equibase abbreviation question.

So I was looking up some horses on Equibase and noticed they had a line called "Highest E" and then a number after it..Is this something similar to a Byer number? One of my horses had a 108 after it and another one of mine had a 109. Are these relatively decent numbers?

Yes, the E is the Equibase speed rating and it is similar to a Beyer.

the eqibase numbers tend to trend higher than Beyers, though. A caliming race winner might get a Beyer of 70, and an E of 80.

Similarly, a 109 is a stakes caliber E number. But it is not a grade I number as it would be if it was a 109 Beyer.

Were your horses stakes class horses before they retired?
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes at certain parts of their careers. They are both geldings and ran for long periods of time. One was 9 at retirement, the other 7. They finished up in lower level claimers. One had 50 starts, the other 56. I kind of like researching stuff, and pedigrees etc...Kind of geekie I know, but what can I say!

Not geeky at all. Just love to know what you can about your guys! (I do the same...LOL) And yes, that's a nice speed rating!

And if you look up Volos, he sold for $260k at Saratoga as a yearling, and was trained early in his career by Steve Asmussen. (You can click on each Equibase race and find the chart for it there. Click on 'results', then the chart following the mentioned race.) Bred by Robert Clay who owns Three Chimneys Farm. Can't beat that for class.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes