The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by HeartsongHorses View Post
    I would look for a second opinion from another vet and farrier.
    Thank you!

At least find out what is really going on, before doing something drastic. Its not really the horses fault you have to buy diapers and do wedding planning.

9 members found this post helpful.

I also agree you need a second opinion.

Any way you could find somewhere where you could work off some boarding? I know it is hard with children but maybe if your fiancee could keep him for a few hours on the weekend that could help. Also... I have heard excellent things about the Target brand for formula and diapers. Every penny counts, some people also exchange coupons for formulas they do not use. PM me if you use enfamil? I seem to always get those.

Back to the horse side of it... I would see if you could pay for his corrective shoeing still if he goes to a therapeudic home. That may seal the deal for them, not sure.

You sound like a responsible owner who loves her horse. It is refreshing to see someone thinking ahead and not waiting until they don't have two pennies to rub together and it is an emergency. Good luck!

1 members found this post helpful.

Second opinion for sure!

Ways to make extra cash:

-pasture board
    -self care situation
    -work of board
    -sell stuff on ebay
    -get a PT job - retrail, coffee, bartender, waitress
    -work from home-- writer, web designer, photographer, etsy store, etc

2 members found this post helpful.

if he is not sound, euth. is not a bad end. what would kill you, is to find out he was being mistreated somewhere else. Since finances are the problem. i would probably go this route. i am so sorry.

6 members found this post helpful.

Maybe I am misunderstanding but it sounds like he could go back to being a leased out W/T horse or go with a therapy program if he is sound, right?

If the biggest point of his expensive shoes are to keep his feet protected and cushioned while the heel grows out, could you look at going barefoot with a padded boot?

It is a big expense up front to buy the boots but then you are just paying for trims. If he returns to his previous soundness within a few cycles then he can go back to being leased out or possibly donated to a program. If after several cycles he isn't sound or is no longer comfortable, then you could start looking at other options.

So long post short. If you pull his shoes and can make him comfortable with padded boots, will that help you cover your ends financially to give him a few months to see if he regains his previous soundness?

Key word is COULD. The vet was very unsure about the whole thing. He said for sure should never jump or do heavy riding but COULD possibly do minimal w/t and depending on how he felt occasional canter. I dont think I would jump to euth without a second opinion. It is the last thing I want to do but I really need I guess another's insight that isnt blinded by love. The current lease situation was we covered vet and farrier in exchange for using him once or twice a week for w/t lessons for beginners.

Hard part for getting a second opinion is I would need to find a place closer. The vet and farrier I would go to (the two who have worked with him for years and really know him) they wont drive out that far. I think I might try talking to the owner of the barn I really love nearby. Only reason we left was board went up..... but maybe I'll see if I can get a deal where he can go on pasture or in a paddock til we can get vet and farrier out to look at him....

Side note, cant just keep him around till wedding. That is still years off (and now may not even happen anymore....stupid boys.) If I do get this job that I interviewed for then that would mean more money and hopefully be able to budget things. But as of now money is tight as it is.... Thankfully my parents love me and their grandson so I am getting some help there but I cant rely on them forever nor do I want to. I just want plans in place..... All I know is I wont have the money to pay the full months board were he is at now. Have a few more days to find something before I have to pay for the full month instead of a daily rate (BO is amazing and really wants to help out but she just cant afford all of her own horses, either. She did say she would haul for us so that is one less thing to worry about!)

eta: padded boots? Would you happen to have a link or a name of a brand to look at?
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

First off, I'm sorry about your situation!

I was going to suggest yanking his shoes and possibly putting some boots on him as well. I'm thinking something like this might help him.

I also second finding a place where you can work off board, or at least part of it. I know it's hard with a baby (I have a 9 month old!) but perhaps your parents will baby sit when they can, or you can trade babysitting with another mom?

Something else to think about, depending on where you are, have you thought about opening a small daycare? Around here it's roughly $150/week/kid for full time. Even if you just take on one extra kid, that might help cover your horses expenses as it would bring you roughly $600/month. I don't know how feasible that is.

If you'd like to PM me what area of Texas your in, I can ask around. I have a few military friends in the state who might be of some resource as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    Can you afford to keep him alive just long enough to be in your wedding? I know weddings are expensive so I'm sure his shoes are taking a bite out of your disposable income right now. It's awful that you might have to provide retirement board for a horse you won't be able to ever jump again. You poor thing.
    Well THAT was unneccessary...

Tehzebra, so sorry you're in this situation, sounds tough I also like the idea of a second opinion...I know your first choice of vet and farrier wont travel that far, but could you maybe explain the sitch and foot some extra gas money to get them to come out just as a one time thing? Just to see where your boy stands, if they think there is a (possibility of) a good prognosis?

I also thought of a companion home, but paying his expenses might not be an option if you're already having to sell due to $$$. The odds are slim, but you could always look for a good giveaway home that would keep him as a companion. True, you do lose ownership, therefore control, BUT if you found the perfect situation, maybe someone you know?, there might be a nice, financially stable place looking for a pasture buddy for their horse. I kept my old pony at a friend's barn as a buddy for her mare, I *technically* owned him but he was basically hers, she had full rein to do whatever she liked with him. Great person, very kind and knowledgable horseperson, so I never worried about his wellbeing or being sold to a trader later on down the road. Maybe put the word out on facebook or the giveaway board?

Good luck

Have you thought about taking him to a vet and bringing a farrier (doesn't have to be an expensive one, just one willing to listen to the vet) and having them look at xrays together and come up with a plan which hopefully includes transitioning to barefoot as his feet improve? In my experience although there are some horses who can't be barefoot it isn't nearly the big deal most people make it out to be, and you definitely don't need a barefoot guru to do it. You just need a decent vet and a decent farrier (again, one who will listen not necessarily one who is an "expert" at barefoot trims).

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    if he is not sound, euth. is not a bad end. what would kill you, is to find out he was being mistreated somewhere else. Since finances are the problem. i would probably go this route. i am so sorry.
    This. Hugs to you

Quote Originally Posted by Tehzebra View Post
    eta: padded boots? Would you happen to have a link or a name of a brand to look at?

People really seem to adore soft ride boots (http://www.softrideboots.com/Default.asp ). They helped a horse here get through badly bruised soles, where it was so bad euthanizing the horse was on the table. I highly recommend them, and their customer service.

I have the Soft Ride boots for my pony. They make a HUGE difference. Awesome customer service, lightning fast shipping.

Softrides are great and really help a lot of horses. That said, I totally understand the whole "I can't financially commit to a permanent pasture ornament". I just went through a similar situation with my gelding. After a year of vet bills, lameness, and no diagnosis, I made the decision to euthanize. I did try rehoming him, but was unsuccessful. He was not an easy horse to deal with, so that didn't help. I'm not saying you are at this point with your guy, and I agree that a 2nd opinion is a good idea, but at the end of the day sometimes the best thing for the horse is to be taken care of. That may mean living a shorter life, but as long as it's a good life, you've done your horse no disservice. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Thank you guys all soooo much. What I have been looking at thus far is some nearby self care pasture boarding. A good friend of mine is moving back and will be bringing her horse with her so is also in a similar situation (only she has school instead of a kiddo) so we are looking on trying to find a place together for our boys and split days for feeding and such. With somedigging we have found some places that I could afford at around $150 a month!!!! But I would have to figure out food costs on top of that.... depending on how lush the pastures are (have one that is 5 acres and only has one other horse on it all the way up to a new empty 40 acre pasture which i was told had lots of grazing but has no building structures on it but can work with land owner on refencing and building a small feed room...) Then we found a partial care pasture where hay is provided and we buy any grain and BO would feed. That one of course is a bit more around $250/275ish but has an arena (for my friend. Has some easy trails that I could mosey along, too)

All of these places are in radius of my preferred vet and farrier so I could get a second opinion from them. If they dont think he has a great outlook.... well, he would get some much deserved spoiling before anything happened.

Current situation now is if we did one of these self care barns where we provide hay and feed, what would be the most budget friendly? Buying a round bale or smaller squares and toss some daily.... theyre both big guys, 17 and 18hh respectively....Depending on how much grazing there is my boy may or may not need grain or maybe smaller portions than what he currently gets. He eats local mill grain so its nothing fancy and super pricey and the pasture he is on currently is not super graze friendly. Most "self care " I've done hay cost a lot cheaper, was in stalls so bales only, and would be included in board fee if you wanted to use their hay....and the other was when I lived on an island and worked at a feed store so already ridiculously priced hay plus discount.... also squares only. soooo I guess if anyone has insight here please let me know??

I also just got digital copies of his xrays on his feet if anyone is interested in seeing them, PM me.... dont want to flood board with more topics or send this one in a different direction.

How big of hay eaters are they? Rounds are only cheaper in some areas, and only if they eat it all.

If a RB is 500lb (give or take they generally range from 4-600) ... that is 10 50lb bales. So for instance last year my FIL bought RBs for 50.00 each. For him it was actually more expensive since bales in our area are between $3-4 a bale.

You can feed off a RB without it being free choice but it is a PITA. I would do squares first and see how many you go through a week first.

well I kept the horse going even though I had to sacrifice. I don't regret a thing
    Bravo, you!!!

Can you afford to keep him alive just long enough to be in your wedding? I know weddings are expensive so I'm sure his shoes are taking a bite out of your disposable income right now. It's awful that you might have to provide retirement board for a horse you won't be able to ever jump again. You poor thing.
    Seriously, I have to question if people live in the real world. This is an awful economy and horses are a luxury animal. The OP didn't say she's having an expensive wedding in a few months. She said she's trying to feed her young child and keep her horse sound and is asking for ideas and thoughts and help, not your personal internet judgments about her financial situation and where her disposable income should be going. Without actual knowledge of her financial situation, I would think it's a bit presumptuous to comment.

I agree a second opinion would be in order, if you can. Maybe you can get him sound enough to have a job. Good luck!
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Perhaps this a little bit OT, but I wanted to address the suggestion that was made that the OP find a therapeutic riding program to donate the horse to.

In my experience (lots of volunteering with 2 different therapy programs, including free leasing my gelding to one of programs), therapeutic riding programs want/need sound horses. While most of the work is done at the walk and trot, the horses are dealing with less than ideally balanced riders and under NAHRA/PATH guidelines the horses can work multiple hours per day (I believe around 3 or 4, but the new PATH website is difficult to navigate and I was unable to find the latest working requirements).