The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default dog booties

Rubyfree, check your PM's. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

I know you say she's mostly a house dog, and she is 11. PLEASE don't take this question the wrong way, because it is NOT meant to be judgmental!

Is there a physical reason why she only goes out for potty? Only reason I ask is that walks and exercise can really help keep nails filed down (you're not a newb to dogs and so I am probably pointing out the obvious, sorry). But if she's not up for much outdoor activity due to age or other limitations, then obviously that's not going to be part of the solution.

I don't know how good dog boots are now, but years ago, they were hard to keep on. One of my father's Llewellyn setters had to wear them and he was always losing them. One day my mother was in line at the grocery store when a neighbor in line behind her yelled out "Eleanor, you dog left his shoe in my yard." Everyone turned to look.

I had a dog who had to wear an orthotic device, and it stayed on his leg and foot quite well. And he ran the fence line and played with my other dogs. The human orthotic guys made it for Raleigh for free.

You might try putting some Velcro Pro-Series Extreme on the boots. You can buy it on ebay. It will hold, if you get it high up on the boot/leg. That stuff is NOT typical velcro.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    I know you say she's mostly a house dog, and she is 11. PLEASE don't take this question the wrong way, because it is NOT meant to be judgmental!

Is there a physical reason why she only goes out for potty? Only reason I ask is that walks and exercise can really help keep nails filed down (you're not a newb to dogs and so I am probably pointing out the obvious, sorry). But if she's not up for much outdoor activity due to age or other limitations, then obviously that's not going to be part of the solution.
    Well, I had a long post typed out and lost it.... I hit the wrong key. She gets about 1.5 hrs or more of exercise as I take her out 6-8 times/day, every time I head to the barn to do something with the horses. Believe me she gets more than just a short potty break. The only 'short' walks are in bad weather, like pouring rain. I figured when Hurricane Sandy hit with driving rain and winds, I take her to the indoor arena to do her business, but no way was she interested in that. Must do her business on grass. At least she's not crapping in the gardens, just the grass. Not sure what she's going to do when the grass is covered with snow.... I'm sure I'll find out soon.

I say house dog as she has a very short coat and thin skin so she comes in when I come in. If it's a nice day, the she may be outside for several hours but I don't leave her out alone like I did with a few previous dogs with a heavier coat.

I didn't get her until the end of Sept so we've been running into progressively colder weather rather than warmer but on colder days she's got quite a wardrobe of 3 blankets and 2 sweaters to wear to keep her warm. I leave it up to her to tell me when she wants to come in. To be honest, for an older dog, she has quite a bit of energy. I call her Superdog sometimes because she's faster than a speeding bullet. Course when we go back inside, she's very much like a cat in that she just curls up and sleeps.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Default dog booties

Mara, I lied when I said 1.5 hrs/day for walking my girl. The more I thought about it I realized that most walks are usually about 20 minutes and sometimes even more so it's a safe bet that the minimum of 6 walks/day @ 20 minutes comes to 2 hrs and the max of 8 walks/day is greater than 2.5 hr/day. No wonder I've lost 7 lbs!
    Sue