The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Southern IL eventing scene?

Hubby may get transferred from northern VA area to work around Scott Air Force Base in southern IL. What, if any, is the eventing scene like in that area? Or should I just plan on filing divorce papers now (only kidding)...

Jill O'Donoghue runs a great eventing barn in Carbondale and they also organize Dunnabeck HT. There is lots of eventing in Area IV, you just have to drive a bit! PM me if you have specific questions.

Area 8 has a great eventing scene and we aren't that far
    Proud former owner of a Wee Dee Trrr
    Proud half-owner of a Picasso Pony

Default that's a really good location actually

Lucky you. Jill is a terrific person and has a very nice facility with a beautiful new indoor. From southern IL you can drive to Indianapolis, Nashville, Chicago, etc. You are w/in 6 hours of 3 different areas. Jim Graham is only a few hours away and has a great cross country course. It's not VA, but I would love a more central location.

You'll actually be much closer to St. Louis where there's a recognized HT and two more further west just along I-70 in the Kansas City area (and many more unrecognized ones). I'd try a PM to Painted Wings for St. Louis area information or just look up Queeny Park Equestrian Events (QPEE) and Bridlespur Hunt.
    Brock
    Brock n. (Anglo-Saxon) badger as in Brockenhurst, Brocklebank etc www.area35.us

If you plan on driving from Southern IL to Chicago, be ready for at least a 7 hour drive. Depending on how far south you are, you'll be better off looking into eventing in MO, KY and possibly KS. Driving to Indianapolis would be a long haul, too.

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    If you plan on driving from Southern IL to Chicago, be ready for at least a 7 hour drive. Depending on how far south you are, you'll be better off looking into eventing in MO, KY and possibly KS. Driving to Indianapolis would be a long haul, too.
    I'm in the Chicago area and regularly make the trip to Area 8 events, lots of good ones and I love KHP!

Hi Lurk...
    My parents live in Edwardsville (about 45 min from Scott). Nice area. I don't know anything about the horse world (wasn't raised there), but welcome!

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

I just found out I'm in the same boat as you, like litterly a half hr ago. Another fantastic COTHer posted your thread in response to mine asking about the same area. Our report date is March 31. Coming from DAFB and know NOOOOOOOOOOOTHING about the mid-west. I'd love to stay in touch, needless to say I'm kinda freaking out right now.
    "Your horse can only be as brave as you are"

The O'Donoghues are great, as are Dunnabeck HT.

6 hours to the Kentucky Horse Park, a tad closer to Queeny at St. Louis. Great area.