The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Baucher bit, single joint or double joint?

I am starting an older horse and working on getting him to accept contact with an outside rein. He gets it but is not consistent. He tends to elevate his head as a response (part of that is his conformation, he is an Arab/Trakhener and tends to be uphill).
    He doesn't stiffen his back like a giraffe, he doesn't release at his poll as much as I'd like.
    After a lesson, my instructor suggested trying a Baucher bit on him. He goes now in a O-ring and D-ring double jointed bit with a oval "peanut."
    Should I stick with a double jointed or is there a reason with a Baucher to use the single? He is very quiet and sensitive so has always been fine in his double-jointed snaffle. I am leaning toward a happy mouth either way and have found both options.

I'd stick with the double jointed if the horse likes the double jointed.

Ditto, except that if you plan to show, the Happy Mouth version of the double jointed boucher has a rolling center piece, and is not legal for eventing dressage.

That being said, my horse usually likes a double jointed bit over a single, but I use the single jointed HM boucher since I like to show in the same bit we school in. He goes well in it FWIW.

I use this one on my guy: http://www.horse.com/item/stubben-st...er=38458821869

He loves it and I like how the link is the "peanut" one instead of the flat link. Plus this one doesn't rotate. I've ridden a lot of horses in a baucher and I really tend to like them a lot.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

I have a KK bit with a rolling center and have used it for dressage for years so I think they are legal, but maybe want to double check!

I use and love the Myler http://www.123tack.com/myler-medium-...l--mb-02-.html (which is legal as it the KK. The happy mouth with the rolling peanut is not).
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!