The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horseguard temp fence kits - good for larger acerage?

Anyone know if the temp kit works for 5+ acre paddocks? I'm going to be leasing some land that I want to test out pasture without putting in t-posts. Do the stakes work for larger areas?

Have HG on my property and love it, but have not tried the portable kit.

Are these the fiberglass posts that you are talking about? While I have used those for temporary cross fencing of small areas, I can't see them working for large areas that you really need to keep horses contained in -- they aren't that sturdy so you can't do a huge line of them or turn a corner as they can not handle the tension of the fence. They are better than other temp fence posts (like the little step in kind that the feed store has), but still I wouldn't trust them to do an entire full area.

As horsepoor said, you can't anchor the tape, nor turn corners, with the fiberglass posts.

I have done 1000' or so with the fiberglass posts, BUT, each end was anchored at permanent wooden posts.

If you can use trees as your anchor points, you could fence off some acreage with the fiberglass posts as line posts.

and what about putting a t-post every so often to extend the fiberglass stakes and also t-post in the corners..

You'll need more than a t-post for the corners, although maybe if you got the long heavy-duty ones and really sank that sucker, you might get enough hold. Depends on your geographic location--if it's too dry, you may not be able to get it deep enough. If it's too wet, the ground might not hold it.

I have a 6-acre pasture fenced with HG and t-posts. It's a good, low-cost solution, but man, the deer kill it when they run through. I'm forever replacing insulators that have been popped off and pulling taut the stretched tape. I'm saving my pennies for a more permanent option.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

These are super handy kits. One person can install them, but it does take some time, so it's not as easy to move as you'd hope. Or I should say, it's easy, but for me to restring the three kits alone usually takes 5-6 hours. Compared to regular fence, that's awesome, but it's still a big enough chore that I don't do it as often as I wish I did.

I have two older horses who live out in a pasture enclosed with three of these kits strung together. I have T-posts in all the corners and in strategic places along the fenceline, with one side against a permanent fence. They are quiet and there is plenty of grass; they do not challenge the fence. However, the fence does sag over time, and I'd recommend having it be very hot. I tend to have problems with the deer sliding through it and lowering the bottom strand, which then shorts on tall weeds (dang mustard), if I'm not on top of it all the time. It only has two strands.

T-posts can also be temporary and reused, of course. And when they are temporary, you don't have to stress so much about getting them perfectly plumb, which makes them faster and easier to put in.

I like to use really tall heavy duty T-posts such that the potential for injury on them is very small. Those suckers don't move unless I go at them with the post puller. (And in summer, I drop a bucket of water on them, first.)

You could use it in conjunction with more T-posts, and you might want to buy extra tape for a third strand. Using the fiberglass posts would give you the advantage of not having to put in quite so many t-posts.

The fiberglass posts go into wet, soft ground easily and hard dry summer ground with much pain and suffering... rather like the T-posts. I usually have to reset them after the winter because the wind starts to blow them over when the ground is saturated. That's OK, because by then I should move the fence anyway.

It's a nice starter kit and certainly useful. I especially like it for trying out a new area to see if that's where I want the fence to go.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Thanks for the comments. I have HG and wood posts on my property and it has been great for 5 years w/3 horses. I don't even have it turned on most of the time.

I'm leasing 40 acres behind my house though so I will probably end up going with the t-posts and having someone drive them in. Deer have not caused much problem with my land, but this property is much bigger and could be more populated with them. There is tons of grass so I'm not really worried about my guying trying to go anywhere, but I will not be able to see them from my house so better safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Serigraph View Post
    and what about putting a t-post every so often to extend the fiberglass stakes and also t-post in the corners..
    I did this to temporarily fence off a section of my pasture where there was an old out building that was torn down, leaving the area full of nails. So far it seems to be working well to keep the horses out.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

The stretches of HG I have had with the fiberglass posts have all been supplemented by permanent posts every hundred feet with permanent posts on the corners as well. It worked quite well, and I did it for a couple of years like this with just having to go tighten things up. The deer are a nuisance like people said. The rest of my old place was all HG on permanent posts every ten feet.
    --Question for you horseguard people. While I, myself like the line insulators from HG (since the redesign from the stupid little pin to the nice key version), my husband SWEARS there must be some better option out there to insulate the tape that doesn't deteriorate in the sun. I say no way. We are currently contemplating using HG again for our back pasture (on permanent posts) as we've about broken our backs putting in the first two pastures with three board fencing. I'll be battling it out to just use the HG insulators, anyone want to chime in on their opinions of theirs vs any other insulators and how they hold up in the sun?

Oh--quick note on the fiberglass posts, especially as they age---WEAR GLOVES!!! The fiberglass erodes away and will end up in your hands when you grab the posts! I have learned this lesson the hard way when yanking them out of the ground to reset them!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by whitney159 View Post
    --Question for you horseguard people. While I, myself like the line insulators from HG (since the redesign from the stupid little pin to the nice key version), my husband SWEARS there must be some better option out there to insulate the tape that doesn't deteriorate in the sun. I say no way. We are currently contemplating using HG again for our back pasture (on permanent posts) as we've about broken our backs putting in the first two pastures with three board fencing. I'll be battling it out to just use the HG insulators, anyone want to chime in on their opinions of theirs vs any other insulators and how they hold up in the sun?
    My problem isn't with the insulators so much as it is with the pins. They are convenient, granted, but I hate that they break so easily, and if you can't push the broken end through the hole, you have to replace the whole insulator.

And can I just say how much my hands hurt after trying to use the zip ties that come with the insulators? I've just given up and gone to using three regular Lowe's-type zip ties instead.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Serigraph View Post
    Anyone know if the temp kit works for 5+ acre paddocks? I'm going to be leasing some land that I want to test out pasture without putting in t-posts. Do the stakes work for larger areas?

Have HG on my property and love it, but have not tried the portable kit.
    We've had Horseguard for 16 years and love it. I wouldn't use the little fiberglass posts for any amount of area. We use step-in posts with HG for our subdivided areas. Never have done five acres though, and don't put corners in our areas either, just big circles or ovals. (We tend to use them to force the horses to eat where we want them to so they won't overgraze certain areas.)

I'm looking over the HG site because after all these years we need to buy some replacement parts. Man, I am not liking what I am seeing! The configuration of our tensioners and line insulators are waaaaay different from the ones they are selling now. I can see so many ways for the new tensioners and insulators to fail! And they look more difficult to install/replace - especially when the wind is blowing at 50 mph, the temp is 0, and your fingers are frozen. So I guess we may not be replacing with HG parts. Sooooo disappointed...

Liz

What about the current parts make you think they're difficult to install? Do you have a picture of yours?

The current insulators and tensioners are really easy to install, at least IMO

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    What about the current parts make you think they're difficult to install? Do you have a picture of yours?

Agreed. I love that I don't need tools to put the tape on and off the insulators.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

Our line insulators are all one piece. Installed with two screws (looks similar to new insulator installation) but no pegs to break. In all these years, we've never had to replace one. To me, the new pegs look fragile, easy to lose, easy to break, and likely to break off in the hole so that you have to completely remove the insulator to get the broken piece out. If you can't the piece out, then a new insulator is needed. All this sounds like not fun in our winters.

Our tensioners look like an upscale version of this:

http://www.kencove.com/fence/Tape+Fe...tail_JR55W.php

You can easily have one, two, or three fences off of one tensioner. A single large bolt into the wood fencepost holds them all. Easy peasy to install and we've never had one break in 16 years. (That in spite of our wicked summer sun and aridity, our wickedly cold winters, and our famous winds.) The new tensioners need two screws, look more inconvenient to install, don't look like they'd fit a round post very well (old tensioners were concave at back) and I can't see how they'd do three fences very well. (ETA - I see they have a way to do three, but only in one direction. I have a fence post on which I have three fences, one of which runs to the back of the post. Can do that because the metal pieces are long and stick out from the tensioner. I could probably run four fences if I needed to, now that I think on it.)

I LOVE our fencing. It works perfectly, but I have my doubts about the new parts. Since I can get the parts I need (even if they don't look quite as nice as the originals) from someone else, I probably will. I've got lots of the line insulators left from installation years ago - bought plenty extra of those because I thought they would break over time! What I need are more tensioners because we're rethinking some of our layout.

Liz

I have never had the pegs break in the insulators, not even the time that I had a horse go through the fence, pull it off all the posts, and deform the tape. (The charger had been left off, sigh.) All those insulators are still in use. My oldest ones are maybe 6 years old and have been out in the sun etc all that time.

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    even the time that I had a horse go through the fence, pull it off all the posts, and deform the tape.
    As I said, I do love HG! One of my horses ran into the fence a couple of times over the years, too...no injuries, only stretched tape and cracked t-post sleeves. Our fence was on though! Silly boy, he was such a madman in his youth.

Liz

I hate the old pegs. At some point they became impossible to remove and would just break, necessitating poking them out with a screwdriver or something.

I haven't had the screws long enough to know removing them after years of the elements breaking them down will go. It *seems* it won't be a problem since the diameter of the screw is so much thicker than those pegs.

Yes, the tensioner only goes 3 ways, but really, how would you run 4 lines off a single post? If you're talking about making the post the center of 4 fences, 1 off each side, then yes, you'll need 2 tensioners - 1 to do 3 of them, and 2 to do the 4th. But they don't stick out so much I'd worry about them - they're sticking out regardless of having tape connected

I've never had a problem installing my insulators or tensioners on round posts - all my posts are round, and anything that needs tension is big enough that the face is "flat" enough to accommodate the width of the tensioner very easily. The 3 lag screws hold up very, very well. I've had a horse and several deer have run-ins with taking out tape down to the tensioner, and if the tape didn't break first, the metal connector piece bent enough to free the animal. I have yet to have a tensioner break because of something like that, but I am sure there's always a first time

My insulators have no pegs at all. They are all in one piece. The tape slides down between two connected pieces of the insulator - and then the two pieces, which are already molded together at the bottom, snap together at the top, capturing the tape. Hard to explain but it works great. In my experience, any time you add pieces to something simple, you add difficulty to installation and you add additional places for breakage/failure. Simpler is almost always better.

As far as four fences off of one tensioner - the metal pieces that hold the fence swivel (like a door) in the tensioner, so they can turn back, sideways, or frontways. The fence that runs behind the tensioner sticks out at a tiny bit of an angle right at the post, but barely. It's worked fine for 16 years. And yes, I could add another metal piece to the tensioner and run a fourth fence there if I wanted. The downside to running two tensioners for four fences is that (depending on the layout of all my fences) I might have to wire those two tensioners together. More complicated, and then you have to multiply that by four - my fences have four "rails".

It's great that HG is working well for everyone in its current set-up! My climate is more challenging than the others I've seen here, and I can tell that my old set-up is probably better for me, so I'm really happy that I bought it way back when! And I've had 16 years to test it.

Liz