The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.smith View Post
    They were calling her Monica, short for her registered name Monaco Lewinsky

I've named her Coco. It seems to fit her better.

Congrats mrs smith! Love the name Coco. She's a really pretty little mare. She also has a very intelligent look in her eye!

People are always commenting about my smart and level headed (usually!) STB. At the track I had one or two who were so smart and good, we used to kid around that we could probably send them to the track in the morning to jog all by themselves, without a driver! I'm so glad folks are discovering STBs as saddle mounts. It's a win-win for the horses and their new owners.

OP, have fun getting to know each other, IMHO always a good idea to take your time. And it's a great time of year, heading into Spring.

They were calling her Monica, short for her registered name Monaco Lewinsky

I've named her Coco. It seems to fit her better.
    OMG! I know her! She stayed with us a few times. I board my horse at a barn that does mostly track lay-ups (very few "riding horse" people). She was exactly who I had in mind when I was going to comment on some of them looking like cute hunter ponies. So glad to hear that she is with you and that you are enjoying each other!!!

I just took a look at your picture of her and that's the same cute little filly I remember feeding treats to!

Quote Originally Posted by ex-racer owner View Post
    OMG! I know her! She stayed with us a few times. I board my horse at a barn that does mostly track lay-ups (very few "riding horse" people). She was exactly who I had in mind when I was going to comment on some of them looking like cute hunter ponies. So glad to hear that she is with you and that you are enjoying each other!!!

I just took a look at your picture of her and that's the same cute little filly I remember feeding treats to!
    What do you know, it is a small world after all.

I'm really happy for you and CoCo - I was going to post my experience with a Standardbred mare and what great horses they are - so sensible, yet a hot blooded breed. Mine evented and never had a competitive jumping penalty.
    she field hunted, rode trails, did it all. And - hey - she had a beautiful head.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by ex-racer owner View Post

Her name is unforgettable, LOL!!

How cool that you know her. The story I have on her that she really wanted to race, but her short little legs couldn't keep up with the big guys. So, she only had six starts. She is so sweet, and really tries to be helpful. I was trying blankets on her yesterday, and she'd move a bit to the right, then look at me, then a step back, then look at me, etc. It was like she was saying, "do you need me to stand here or there? I can step back too if that works better. How about here?"

She is always running her lips over things, and stole my car keys that I left on the ledge of her stall twice. She is a keeper
    One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well. - Virginia Woolf

Her name is unforgettable, LOL!!

How cool that you know her. The story I have on her that she really wanted to race, but her short little legs couldn't keep up with the big guys. So, she only had six starts. She is so sweet, and really tries to be helpful. I was trying blankets on her yesterday, and she'd move a bit to the right, then look at me, then a step back, then look at me, etc. It was like she was saying, "do you need me to stand here or there? I can step back too if that works better. How about here?"

She is always running her lips over things, and stole my car keys that I left on the ledge of her stall twice. She is a keeper
    How sweet.

I have a horse like that, the previous owner's husband didn't like because he was always into something, a pest, but in a good way, not pushy.
    His wife liked him just as he was and so do I and the husband thinks "it is a woman's thing".

I bet you both will have many years of fun together.

Default YAY!

Congratuations to both you and Coco! She sounds like a keeper! And she is beautiful!!!!

My STB mare arrived here in VA on Dec. 27th and she has been great! I renamed her Kizzy (racing name was Soft Laughter and I don't know what she was actually called) and she learned her name in less than 2 weeks. She appears to be very sweet and tolerant... esp. since I don't really know what I'm doing. I've had my friend/vet/accupuncurist/chiropractor out to look at her and she said that she is healthy and in really good shape. She also told me that she has a wonderful personality.

I'm jealous that your girl is already broke and ready to ride. I think I have some time before that will be happening with Kizzy. That's okay, though. In the meantime, I'm spending time with her, grooming her (she was FANTASTIC for her bath to get the grime out of her coat) and doing ground work.

Have fun with Coco!!!!! I look forward to hearing about her!

Yay and welcome to the club! I have a standie (pacer) too - been under saddle for just about 1 year now.

I've been keeping a blog about our adventures- lots of pictures, videos. Its a great journey!

http://changeofpaceotsb.blogspot.com/

Good luck!