The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
    TrotTrotPumpkn - I'm so glad things went as well as they did. Hopefully Jake's time will be as peaceful.

I feel guilty because I'm already looking on Petfinder for a rescue dobe I can bring home. I just can't imagine life without a doberman.

StG
    I hope so too (for Jake and you).

I was already talking about getting a puppy before Zelda got sick. I'm in a couple training clubs, and Z was maxed out on where she would go with competitive obedience work happily (and what's the point if they hate it?) and isn't really a good ring sport dog, but my husband put his foot down on 4 in the house. I would be a liar if I said I didn't looked at the MN Dobe rescue's available dogs last night. We are giving a memorial in her honor and in honor of the vet who did her obstruction surgery in March. So that was my "official" reason to peek.

We will probably purchuse a puppy though (after the winter) as I want a dog to do mondio with. Then when my rescue dobe passes we will adopt (the others are all adopted as well). I'm hoping when we get the yard more organized (we moved to a farm this fall) he will let me foster.

You will appreciate this. I mentioned getting a GSD or a Malinois to my husband as I know of a couple *really* nice litters and he said, "why would we ever have anything but a doberman?"
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Well, I did as y'all suggested. Before we buried Abbie's body last night, I brought Violet out and let her see and sniff the body. She looked sort of disbelieving, really. Then she wanted to go back inside with the rest of the pack.

She's still looking around for Abbie this morning, but not quite as desperately.

I kind of worry about her losing something she focused on so much, albeit in a really unhealthy way. I'd bring Violet to work with me if I could, just to get her mind off things, but Violet is eleven and has trouble with stairs (she was a working sheepdog and has the knees and hips to show for it).

Too bad she can't take up knitting - although as OCD as she is she'd probably yarn-bomb the entire farm.

TrotTrotPumpkn - I've been at work trying to come up with a Dobe parody to the song from South Pacific "There is Nothing Like A Dame" (I mean Dobe), with no luck. What rhymes with Dobe? I have two GSD's, a Standard Poodle (I think a Dobe/St. Poodle cross would be an exceptional dog!), a giant schnauzer and an English Setter, but Dobermans have long been the breed of my heart. This is the dog I'm looking at. I've never seen that coat color, so she's probably mixed.

pAint_Misbehavin' - I hope Violet (and you and the rest of the family) are recovering form Abbie's loss.

StG

TrotTrotPumpkn - I've been at work trying to come up with a Dobe parody to the song from South Pacific "There is Nothing Like A Dame" (I mean Dobe), with no luck. What rhymes with Dobe? I have two GSD's, a Standard Poodle (I think a Dobe/St. Poodle cross would be an exceptional dog!), a giant schnauzer and an English Setter, but Dobermans have long been the breed of my heart. This is the dog I'm looking at. I've never seen that coat color, so she's probably mixed.

StG
    Could she be a blue with an odd coat? It does look like an awful lot of white ticking. Good for you for looking at a 7 year old girl! You will have to post pictures if you get her. Hope Jake's doing ok.

The dobe rescue put the letter I sent them in their memorial section. Where's the bittersweet smile icon when you need it? Ironically, her dad, Linc is a couple dogs down.

http://www.dobermanrescueminnesota.com/memorials.php

TrotTrotPumpkn - I don't know anything about her, but she's striking looking. I have a friend who volunteers as a foster with this rescue, and she e-mailed the adoption coordinator to ask about her. They now think she may be 4-5 years old. Good with dogs and cats. I may ask to meet her. Even if she was 7, that would be okay. I lost my dobe Grace to congestive heart failure last year. She was about 7-8 and dumped near my farm. Some neighbors saw it happen. I took her in and gave her 6 good years.

I hate to ask so soon, but it seems like Zelda went downhill so quickly. A couple weeks ago and she was so active you wished she'd settle down. Did it get bad pretty quickly? Jake is still doing okay, even sometimes using the leg. Eating like a horse. Not going out as much, but still enjoying the outdoors when we go out to feed, or when the other dogs have something deadly serious (like a possum or a deer) to bark at. I love the pic of Zelda in the memorial. Did I post a pic of Jake? He's red, too. I got Jake because a guy advertised on Craigslist. He was moving and only wanted to take his dobe bitch. Jake was so skinny and scared when I got him. He growled a tiny bit at me, but settled down that same night as a proper velcro dog. He's be at my side ever since.

StG

I had my old man put down at the clinic, but brought him home to bury him. My husband had prepared the site while I was at the clinic. When I took him to be buried I had our 1 year old "puppy" and the old man's 9 yr old son with me.

I placed the body in the grave and just sat by the grave while the other dogs processed what was going on. The puppy went in the grave, sniffed and did her typical ADHD thing and started chasing squirrels. The son on the other had sniffed his father's body for a long time. He would leave the grave and then go back in to check again.

When the son seemed to have stopped going in the grave, I used the bucket on the tractor to start filling it in. The son came back and started the whole process again. So I turned the tractor off and resumed my spot sitting by the grave. After another long while he seemed to have settled so I started the process again. He watched the entire time, although didn't try to go in the grave again. He was ok with sitting in the back of the cart.

I was glad that I had all day to go through the process of clinic and burial and then just some down time. I would have hated to have had to rush through my and my remaining dogs grieving process.

First of all, I'm so sorry that you have to do this, but if there is anything that can help at all, I'd say having it done it your own house would be it.

Secondly, I've now had 2 pets put down at home and will never do it differently. It was best for them and also best for me.

On February 7th of this year, I had to say goodbye to my heart dog, Tonka. (Wow, even typing that this many months later chokes me up.) We said our farewells in the living room on Tonka's favorite rug (though we did put a towel under her just in case). My bf held Toby (our other dog) and Toby watched with total disinterest. After Tonka was gone, Toby went over and sniffed her body for a hot second and then was more interested in the fact that we had visitors in the house who may play with him.

I asked the vet if Toby likely understood what had just happened, and she said some dogs seem to, others don't. It seemed to me that Toby didn't really care. But to be fair, he and Tonka were never really buddies.

That said. Starting a couple days later, Toby completely lost his mind and became a totally different dog. He went from being calm and low-key to destructive and howling and clingy. We rushed to get a new dog (I was nowhere near ready) but it was the right thing to do for Toby. He's been back to his old self since.

Anyway, long story short, I am a huge proponent of having the vet come to the house.

**Hugs**
    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

[B]I hate to ask so soon, but it seems like Zelda went downhill so quickly. A couple weeks ago and she was so active you wished she'd settle down. Did it get bad pretty quickly? Jake is still doing okay, even sometimes using the leg. Eating like a horse. Not going out as much, but still enjoying the outdoors when we go out to feed, or when the other dogs have something deadly serious (like a possum or a deer) to bark at. I love the pic of Zelda in the memorial. Did I post a pic of Jake? He's red, too. I got Jake because a guy advertised on Craigslist. He was moving and only wanted to take his dobe bitch. Jake was so skinny and scared when I got him. He growled a tiny bit at me, but settled down that same night as a proper velcro dog. He's be at my side ever since.

StG
    She started limping consistently on the leg November 7th or so. Thinking it was just a strain I took a wait-and-see approach. She developed heat in the "hock" joint that weekend and I made an appointment. I've read the cancer creates heat when it starts destroying the surrounding tissue to the bone. Monday Nov. 12th she was diagnosed by xray. There was a very significant amount of cancerous bone. She started on Deremaxx. I think that lasted a week and we introduced the opiate, Tramadol. Then every four days it seemed we were upping the tramadol dosage. The limp never went away. I forget when I started to see the tumor, but that sucker grew in size every single day. Friday the 30th was her worst day and Saturday we went up from 100 mg tramadol 3x a day to 150 mg tramadol 4x a day and Deremaxx 1x and we had "Spoil Z day" on Sunday and put her down that Monday afternoon.

She cried just a little Friday night when we were laying in bed. Kind of a moany noise. Broke my heart. That's when I was sure it was time. I just needed my husband to agree. Other things--She had also started waking up at 4 am which was exactly 6 hours after her last tramadol dose (she never woke up that early). She got a real bone on her last Saturday and started it with gusto, but didn't finish it. Very abnormal. She never stopped eating food like a pig. She tried to run on Sunday and screeched in pain. She was not weight bearing on the leg at all. Was growling at our other dog (who is the dominant dog). Those were things that said it was time.

The dog had a huge pain tolerance. She had abdominal and stomach surgeries in March (bloat caused by two sock obstructions) and had complications afterwards where the stapled wound pulled apart from drainage. So a 9 inch long open wound spread about 5 inches that I had lavage and wrap 4 x a day (because of all the drainage) for over a month. We had to take her off pain meds after a week or two because she was too active and even without the pain meds she showed no visible signs of discomfort, except when I was actually squirting solution into the gaping wound (probably was cold). She wanted to jump, rough house, run etc. Now I KNOW that had to hurt!

I suspect her leg hurt for a long time prior and she didn't let on. I also think the cancer was spread to her digestive system perhaps when she was diagnosed. My husband had been feeding her more than I realized, and I had upped her food as well (he fed morning, me at night). She was getting an extra two cups some days, but her weight was just barely maintaining.

The average in one study I found is 2 months without amputation and 4.5 with (granted this is for all ages, etc. and averages are never right on of course). Old dogs tend to live longer as the cancer isn't as aggressive typically.

I saw his picture. He is a handsome boy.

My JRT was in the room when I had my other dog PTS at the clinic. He sat and watched the whole thing. I think in some way he understood a bit of what was going on. No trauma, just curiosity.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

TrotTrotPumpkn - Thanks for telling me. I can see the tumor growing in Jake's leg, and the muscle has withered, but so far he's not acting much different than usual, except for his limp. We'll just take it a day at a time.

StG