The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    KV Vet Supply has the bottle of 500 tablets (100 mg each) listed for $42.49. A friend just treated her horse with this, and paid the same price.
    And, it is all out of stock or backordered now.

I got doxy from my vet last week and it was $70 a bottle, which is what I paid last year.

Yes it is RIDICULOUS. DH is a small animal vet and we have a Butler account. My new mare has an apical tooth root infection and we wanted to use doxy - but not only is it out of stock in a lot of places, but the places that do have it are charging a fortune.

We were told that one of the major manufacturers isn't making it anymore; so the other major manufacturer has really increased the price (being one of the only places making it now). Rumor has it that after the new year another manufacturer will be picking it up, so hopefully the prices will go down then??

We are using SMZ's instead for the mare, but I'd much rather be using doxy.

Quote Originally Posted by showidaho View Post
    I got doxy from my vet last week and it was $70 a bottle, which is what I paid last year.
    Your vet may have some left in stock, and may not realize the shortage until he/she goes to re-order. So you got a deal for now.

Yep. My vet was saying the same thing today. Several hundred dollars per bottle now. I was so shocked that I don't recall the exact price...but yeah there ois some kind of shortage.

If someone needs some, I have come granules I don't need. I hate to think of someone being without!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I have some extra flavored, compunded doxy granuales if anyone gets desperate. From Wedgewood.
    You do know that is completely illegal.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow! I just picked up 6 bottles a month ago to finish treating one horse for Lyme (100mg-500 tablets) and I paid $35/bottle which is what my vet has always charged me. Last fall, she told me there was a shortage of tablets so I had to use capsules to treat one of the other horses.
    \"And indeed the love that the horses of the Rangers bore for their riders was so great that they were willing to face even the terror of the Door , if their masters\' hearts were steady as they walked beside them.\" The Return of the Ki

I just got 60 days worth (at 5 grams 2x day) of the compounded powder from my vet for $270 and thought I was doing good at that price. He originally quoted me that price for one month of it but ended up finding it cheaper

I was wondering if this would pop up in horse world...

I was in my vet's office the other month to refill a prescription for my cat's prednisolone. It was normally less than $20 for 30 pills. That day, when the tech looked it up, it was $70-something! She, nor anyone else in the office, had been informed of the price raise. Turns out, one company was bought out by another and this was the result.

I just got the prescription custom compounded at a local (human) pharmacy for $13. Anyone know if pharmacies can/will do horse-sized stuff?

Default It gets worse

Was at the Butler - Schein warehouse yesterday and the topic of price changes came up. My rep there showed me the current WHOLESALE price of doxy to be over $2300 for 500 100mg tablets !!! Is it possible that the military is buying up a lot of it for malaria prevention? I can't begin to ask clients to use this drug if that is my price.

The ASHP drug shortage list is source of truth for why things are short. Most of the time though companies do not give a reason and they are not required to. The shortage list is now hundreds of drugs. http://www.ashp.org/DrugShortages/Cu...in.aspx?id=977

Wedgewood will still compound the powdered doxycycline (and it's apple flavored) for about $260 for a month's supply. Still high but doable if you really need it. Ask your vet for an Rx and you can order it through them. This is what I wound up doing for my mare (and it was very palatable; also in individual packets making dosing easy).

Default Doxycycline out of Country

I haven't read all the posts in this thread. But at the moment, the acquisition cost for a 500ct bottle of 100mg tabs or caps is around $1700 to $1800 a bottle. The AWP (which is what most pharmacies base their prices on) is $2800 to $3100. At least that's what is showing on one of the wholesalers for the independent pharmacy I work at.

For the cat rescue group I work with, we order some meds from out of country (and also for my asthmatic cat). You can order Doxycycline from a pharmacy named 4Corners, that is on a small island off the coast of New Zealand.

https://www.4cornerspharmacy.com/p-1...xycycline.aspx

It's $80 for a 500ct bottle, although it's currently out of stock, but it says they expect some in around April 18th.

I've been ordering Kavon's (my asthmatic kitty) inhalers from 4Corners for a couple of years now and haven't had any issues with them.

I didn't know if this information was out and about on this board or not.

Della

Quote Originally Posted by ShotenStar View Post
    And when I say major, I mean MAJOR.

I normally get doxy for about $50-60 per bottle (500 count, 100mg tabs). I called for a refill today (treating a fever in one mare), and was told the price will be going up ... to $500 per bottle.

Really? $500 per bottle for something I can burn through in a manner of days?

According to my vet and the pharmacist, someone (person or company, not quite sure which) has cornered the market on one of the precursor ingredients and there is now a major storage for both human and veterinary use.

I'm all for capitalism and a free market economy, but this is neither .... this is price gouging / price fixing.

*star*

One of the manufacturers (Westward, I believe, my brain is trying to shut down for bed) had to close one of their plants in NJ, which is where they manufactured the doxycycline. That plant is supposed to have reopened or is due to reopen sometime soon. I'm not sure if it has or not, though. Just haven't looked.

Della

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Is this new? I haven't ever been aware of medicine shortages (other than "runs" on flu vaccines) and am not aware of generics ever dropping out of the market. I'm only aware of manufacturers dropping out of making medicines where there is no profit (malaria vaccine). Please pharmacists weigh in and 'splain this to us. Are there fewer manufacturers, is the market consolidating?

Quote Originally Posted by rockfordbuckeye View Post
    Just remember folks - in the doxy shortage/price increase - don't be tempted to use expired product. Tetracycline class drugs are very dangerous when expired.
    Tylenol (acetaminophen) and TCN's are ones that can create toxic metabolites as they start to degrade that can kill, depending on how much of the medication has broken down.

Della

Human pharmacies can't use/dispense medications from out of the country, but can vets? Just one of those random questions.

Della

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfield View Post
    I know about the Doxycycline price increase from reading VIN. Other veterinarians are seeing it. We're currently scripting it out for patients as our distributor is out.

Both diazepam and midazolam are back ordered. If you go to http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/...es/default.htm you can see everything which is in short supply. Doxycyline is not currently of the list. For others such as midazolam, you can see that at least one supplier is no longer making it.

Quote Originally Posted by dhengel View Post
    Tylenol (acetaminophen) and TCN's are ones that can create toxic metabolites as they start to degrade that can kill, depending on how much of the medication has broken down.

Della
    I do not believe that acetaminophen (Tylenol) is dangerous when it is expired. It just loses potency.
    http://www.pharmanest.net/pdf.php?fileid=1342237551.pdf

I work at a small animal specialty clinic. When we got something like 24 bottles of doxy a few months a go, I thought it was a HUGE ordering error. Nope ... the doc knew it was coming and ordered tons extra.
    Life-long horse lover, dreaming of the day when I have one of my very own.

Doxy is on back order everywhere. I work for a vet and we're having a hard time getting it even in CAT doses. I have yet to receive word on WHY that is.