The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Major Price Increase on Doxycycline????

And when I say major, I mean MAJOR.

I normally get doxy for about $50-60 per bottle (500 count, 100mg tabs). I called for a refill today (treating a fever in one mare), and was told the price will be going up ... to $500 per bottle.

Really? $500 per bottle for something I can burn through in a manner of days?

According to my vet and the pharmacist, someone (person or company, not quite sure which) has cornered the market on one of the precursor ingredients and there is now a major storage for both human and veterinary use.

I'm all for capitalism and a free market economy, but this is neither .... this is price gouging / price fixing.

*star*
    Last edited by ShotenStar; Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Oh wow. Gosh, not that I'm aware of and both my husband and my dog have been on doxy recently. (within the last 10 days.)

Could you try a different pharmacy? Heck for that matter, a different medication?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

i think you are correct. There are four horses at my barn on doxy for lyme and they were discussing the price the other day. Somewhere around $900 for a full round of treatment. Not sure what that entails but probably includes the blood tests, the doxy, probiotics, farm call, etc. I was shocked because last time I heard, doxy was $30 a bottle but that was about 4 years ago.

Here's a site that tracks drug shortages:

https://www.ashp.org/DrugShortages/C...in.aspx?id=977

The pharmacy I work with is very good and I trust them to hunt down good prices wherever they can, but as you can see from the link, this is an issue across multiple manufacturers.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

1 members found this post helpful.

good gravy! Well, it sounds like Lymes cases have been high this year possibly due to such a mild winter last year. At least that's what our doctor and veterinarian said. Good luck. That is crazy expensive. I would expect that if I were giving Baytril or something under patent but for doxy? Yikes!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I have some extra flavored, compunded doxy granuales if anyone gets desperate. From Wedgewood.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Holy cow! Thank goodness my vet just GAVE me 2 bottles!!! I hope I won't have to use them! Oooh, maybe I should SELL them!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Compounding pharmacies may be making supply from doxycycline powder which is likely cheaper.

That would explain why the Doxy I just got was $128... for an 11 pound cat...

Quote Originally Posted by rockfordbuckeye View Post
    Compounding pharmacies may be making supply from doxycycline powder which is likely cheaper.
    I am sure they are. I find the powder/granuales 120% easier to use and administer!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Wow.

And I recall so fondly the day my father's eyebrows shot up into his hairline when he saw several sizable bottles of Doxy lined up on the living room divider with my name on them to treat the horse for Lymes.

In his world of obstetrics, Doxy is what you use for Chlamydia.

4 members found this post helpful.

Multiple generics have been both unavailable/back-ordered and shot up in price over the past year as the number of manufacturers of the generics has declined. Our distributor doesn't even have doxycycline at the moment. Phenobarbital has gone through the roof. We have been without injectable valium for a year, not cool in the small animal ER.

WOW! With Doxy being $500 per bottle there is now NO reason not to go with the better treatment of IV Oxytetracycline.

Just remember folks - in the doxy shortage/price increase - don't be tempted to use expired product. Tetracycline class drugs are very dangerous when expired.

Is this new? I haven't ever been aware of medicine shortages (other than "runs" on flu vaccines) and am not aware of generics ever dropping out of the market. I'm only aware of manufacturers dropping out of making medicines where there is no profit (malaria vaccine). Please pharmacists weigh in and 'splain this to us. Are there fewer manufacturers, is the market consolidating?

I asked an NJ-based pharmacist friend, and she said she has not yet heard of any doxy shortage in people pharmacies.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

A lot of drugs are getting pricey or on back order for unknown reasons. Don't go screaming price gouging, etc. Much of it has to do with FDA regs. Plants get shut down due to not meeting inspection standards so there is a shortage issue. Or other manufactures of the product shut down, or there is a limited demand for the product and the cost of producing that one product becomes more costly.
    We use a lot of Lidocaine OINTMENT where I work. 2 yrs ago it was about $15 a tube. A yr ago it went up to $22 a tube. Boss just ordered 2 tubes last week. $88 PER TUBE!!!! Before tax.
    Valium availability comes and goes.
    Don't even hope you ever have a seizure paitent that needs injectable pentobarbital or phenobarbital. Just get a second mortgage now to affored it in your minature poodle.

Regarding Doxycycline though, I too know nothing about a price increase. I just checked my supplier and it is no where that pricey. Still cheap, cheap, cheap.

Regarding the cat forumulation though....if it was a liquid (and I hope it was), that IS expensive, as is the injectable. That tablets are dirt cheap. The other forms are not.

Hope that helps some.

I know about the Doxycycline price increase from reading VIN. Other veterinarians are seeing it. We're currently scripting it out for patients as our distributor is out.

Both diazepam and midazolam are back ordered. If you go to http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/...es/default.htm you can see everything which is in short supply. Doxycyline is not currently of the list. For others such as midazolam, you can see that at least one supplier is no longer making it.

KV Vet Supply has the bottle of 500 tablets (100 mg each) listed for $42.49. A friend just treated her horse with this, and paid the same price.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Wow.

And I recall so fondly the day my father's eyebrows shot up into his hairline when he saw several sizable bottles of Doxy lined up on the living room divider with my name on them to treat the horse for Lymes.

In his world of obstetrics, Doxy is what you use for Chlamydia.
    That is too funny!!!!
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling