The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default Another ribbon display ideas thread- neck sash?

We're going to be relocating in about a month to a much smaller place and while it's going to be a great move for a lot of reasons, it leaves me with rather less wall space for ribbons! I have a couple that I like to keep on display and I think I know where some of the long streamers are going to be going, but I need some suggestions about displaying a beautiful neck sash somewhere it won't fade (which lets out my original idea of hanging it across the enormous window or over the lampshade.) I don't want to crumple it up and stick it in a jar. Any clever ideas of places I can hang a sash that aren't wall-related?

ETA- I really don't have the wall space for hanging things in general, so a shadow box is out.
    Last edited by Renn/aissance; Dec. 3, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Over a picture frame? Like the class you won it in or a pic of the horse that won it? I understand that it would have to be a larger picture, but maybe for a few of the special ones. Also shadow boxes may be an option?

If you have a desk, you could place them on the front area of the desk. Inside or on glass trophy cases is another option. If you have a viewing area, maybe you could hang them there in a display.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I ordered a glass display coffee table for my super special ribbons. They are visible, protected and best of all, whenever someone comes over they see them. For the every day ribbons, I have a ribbon box from Ponybeds.com

http://www.wayfair.com/Southern-Livi...FQq0nQodeRQAOA

like this one, but mine has a bigger glass top

1 members found this post helpful.

Frame it in a shadowbox. Maybe with photos and other horsey memontos?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    Over a picture frame? Like the class you won it in or a pic of the horse that won it? I understand that it would have to be a larger picture, but maybe for a few of the special ones. Also shadow boxes may be an option?
    Oooh, that's an awesome idea! Plus, who doesn't like a big picture of a good horse on their wall?
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    Oooh, that's an awesome idea! Plus, who doesn't like a big picture of a good horse on their wall?
    Currently, he has a shelf to himself.

I should have been more explicit- I don't really have the wall space to hang much of anything, including a shadow box. I'm still figuring out where the heck I'm going to be putting the beautiful portrait of my first horse. So I'm literally looking for off-the-wall ideas!

I love the idea of having it in a coffee table- that's a little out of the budget for right now but I'll keep that one in the back of my mind for future!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

You could put it on an existing coffee table for the cost of some beveled glass. Put spacers under the glass high enough to allow room for the rosette.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

2 members found this post helpful.

Do you have any stairs/railings in the new place? I've got my neck ribbons tastefully (well...maybe not) displayed on the railing by my stairwell. I tell my guests (few that there are) that my house is decorated in the neo-classical egotistical style.

6 members found this post helpful.

I was going to suggest the stairs case too, if you have stairs. Another option might be over the lintel of a doorway--which is still sort of wall space, but not typically where we tend to think of hanging anything.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

cnm - "neo-classical egotistical style" HYSTERICAL!!!! Aren't ALL our homes decorated thusly?

LOVE IT!!! A new style for HGTV!
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

1 members found this post helpful.

ccoronios-- it's going to be a thing! I'm pretty intrigued about this shadowbox coffee table though. I'm going to have to get crafty. Glad I opened this thread!

I have a shadowbox coffee table for my ribbons and other horsie paraphernalia like nameplate bracelets and old show halters. It's a fun way to show off my ribbons without having them be all over the house.

Red face I've found a cool way to frame horse ribbons and show memorabilia!!!

I wanted to frame my ribbons, but didn't want to use a lightbox or any bulky thing... These guys frame the ribbons in a thin, compact way... Looks like art! I have one frame in my dining room, another in my office. What I love is that people ask questions about them all the time. What's better than talking about my horses? Nothing.... They're a new company called GoldStandard Frames. I designed my frame using their online system, but you can also talk to a rep if you need assistance. The reps were cool and understood the different ribbons and such...
    the website is www.goldstandardframes.com Cool people over there. They really get what you want and make it happen.

Neo-classical egotistical --- I like that! Describes my house. I was just putting up a new piece of string the other night for a row of ribbons.

If you happen to be affiliated with a company and you post about it without so identifying yourself, that is bad form.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

3 members found this post helpful.