The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How many lessons do you take?

Right now mom says I can take 2 lessons a week at $12.50 per lesson (its the borders rate). For keeping my horse at the barn it's $400 ish a month Inculding lessons.

I take two a week at 50 a lesson. Sometimes 3, depending on a show schedule.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I take 3 a week, and my trainer rides (hacks) my horse twice a week. I pay $400 month for that package, in addition to $525 in board.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Usually one, occasionally two. When I first acquired current horse, I took two, plus one training ride per week.

When my horse got less green, I aged out and mom and dad passed the bills on to me, I downgraded to one a week. If I find that my horse needs a bit of a tune-up or if there's a show coming up, I'll bump it back up to two. Take however many you need to get the consistent results that you desire.

I take one a week, or one every second week if my trainer is away/things come up.

I pay 500/month in board, and take one lesson a week at 50$ each. Lessons and schooling at 1-2x/month horse shows are billed differently. I would do more (1-2 lessons a week per horse) if I could afford it. Right now I do 75% of the lessons on my green horse, and just lesson on the more made mare when we have a big show to prep for.

Did you really mean your lessons are only $12.50? Not to be rude, but what kind of quality instruction is it? Quantity isn't as important as quality. I would rather do one lesson a week or even every other week with a top-notch trainer who gives me great homework and meticulous feedback, than 4 lessons a week with some of the "trainers" I've met who's crowning achievement was winning the crossrail class at the State Fair (no offense to the 4-H crowd, but not what I'm looking for if my goal is the AO hunters on the rated circuit)....
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ElementFarm View Post
    Did you really mean your lessons are only $12.50? Not to be rude, but what kind of quality instruction is it? Quantity isn't as important as quality. I would rather do one lesson a week or even every other week with a top-notch trainer who gives me great homework and meticulous feedback, than 4 lessons a week with some of the "trainers" I've met who's crowning achievement was winning the crossrail class at the State Fair (no offense to the 4-H crowd, but not what I'm looking for if my goal is the AO hunters on the rated circuit)....
    The OP has posted many videos of her lessons; if you search through her past posts you can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by ElementFarm View Post
    I pay 500/month in board, and take one lesson a week at 50$ each. Lessons and schooling at 1-2x/month horse shows are billed differently. I would do more (1-2 lessons a week per horse) if I could afford it. Right now I do 75% of the lessons on my green horse, and just lesson on the more made mare when we have a big show to prep for.

So what if her lessons are only $12.50/lesson?? People have different financial obligations and goals and maybe that is what he/she can afford and chooses to do. Maybe her/his aspiration IS to do well at the state horse show and not the "A" circuit. There are MANY people (including myself) who cannot afford the "A" circuit and "quality" instruction like you can. ...and BTW I'm perfectly happy with my current riding situation. The OP didn't ask for your criticism of her lesson program, he/she simply wanted to know how many lessons other posters take per week. I'm glad you can afford a top notch trainer...everyone has their own personal goals....and budget. Sorry, not trying to be mean, just wanted to comment.

5 members found this post helpful.

I take a lesson every week we are home. $100/lesson.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

I lesson 1-2x per week (sometimes I have my trainer do a training ride instead of a second lesson). $80 for an hour private lesson.

Y'all are making me feel pretty great about my half training package each month. One lesson and one training ride (which my horse seriously NEEDS) per week for $235. Divide by eight total days and it is $29.38 per lesson or ride. Instruction is great and training rides have made a gigantic difference in my horse's rideability. I now feel happy to go drop off my August board check! Those of you paying upwards of $75/lesson I'm not sure how you do it but I'm happy for you that you can!

1 members found this post helpful.

Two lessons per week (sometimes three), $80 per lesson. Sometimes they're private, sometimes group - just depends on the day's schedule.

During show season, we only lesson the weeks that there aren't shows.
    $50 at shows, $40 at home.

In the winter, once weekly in tolerable temperatures. If its really cold, horses don't get ridden.

2/week at $50 each for 45 minutes, private. $800/month for board.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"
    R.I.P Claire Davis: 12/21/13

Once a week, sometimes two if I can afford it or if something is either going really well (and I want to keep that up) or really badly (and I feel like I need extra help fixing it). If I can't make it one week the week before or after I double up. I probably average 60 lessons per year.

3 lessons and 1 training ride/week (plus other stuff like mane pulling, clipping, pre-show groom/bathing, additional discounted lessons, etc) for $520/month plus board. If I go out of town, which I do frequently for work, my 3 unused weekly lessons become 3 additional training rides. If trainer is unavailable for so many extra training rides, working students hack and the would-be fee gets applied to future makeup lessons or other incidentals.
    www.readyforthebigeq.com
    dream it. achieve it. eff the odds.

JustWorld International Ambassador!

2 lessons/week for as long as I can remember at $55/hr. Private. At my farm. I have tried bumping it up to three in the past before a big show or a division move-up, but quite frankly, for me, it was too much. I really, really enjoy my lessons but I need to have that alone time with my girl to bond! We trail ride, hack, gallop the field- whatever it takes to keep us fresh and ready for the next lesson or show. I usually only ride 4 times a week.

I lesson as many times as I can per month. I don't have a trainer at my facility, so I have to either bring a trainer in or haul in somewhere else. So, I lesson as much as my full-time job and finances allow me to, which is usually 2-3 times per month. I could lesson a whole lot at the OP's rate of $12.50 even with gas and time hauling!!

My lessons are $40 for a 45-minute private at the dressage barn or $35 for a group lesson at the hunter barn, both of which are nice, but low-key places.

So, OP, if you feel that you are improving, then stick with your lessons and be glad that you can afford to take 2 per week! That's awesome.

2 lessons/week at $50 each.