The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Winter Clinic thread yet?

Well, it's the beginning of December -- is it time for a winter clinic thread yet?
    What are you planning for January, February, and March -- who is coming to your area? What are you doing?

I haven't heard much around here except one day with Sally Cousins in Chesapeake City, Md. at Unicorn. Anything else in Area II?

And who is looking for a clinic -- who is available to teach this year?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Funny, I was just thinking about this over the weekend...

I would love to hear suggestions for a nice green-bean BN clinic in SE PA. I am open to just about every suggestion. With my week-day work schedule (and lack of light), weekend clinics are looking like the best option to tune everything up

Stephen Bradley will be at Spring Run this month. Leslie Law will be in the Cincinnati area in January.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

I just noted that Kevin Babbington, the top GP jumper rider, is doing a weekend jumping clinic at his place in PA -- with the first group up to 2/6". That's cool.

I took at long, sad look at Boyd's calendar....looks like he has horse trials and competitions every single weekend from here to eternity. No weekend clinics, it appears. Not that we could afford him anyhow. I would venture a guess that it's that way for a lot of the ULR's. We are all just going to have to take vacation time off, I guess, if you have it to take off...which I don't. I so admire state and federal employees who have days off constantly and can earn additional vacation days...what a deal for a rider!

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm pulling together some dates for Jimmy in Unionville, PA. We will do a series of gymanstic clinics suitable for green horses. Maybe late Jan--early Feb. I hate planing that time of year as the weather can be so iffy. But not likely a weekend either.....

I saw Steven Bradley has some in MD.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I was excited to hear Sinead Halpin was going to be in my area in Jan. Sadly, the clinic is only open to local club members, of which I ain't one I hadn't been able to come up with any benefit to having this club membership in years. Now I guess that would be: riding in this clinic
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    I was excited to hear Sinead Halpin was going to be in my area in Jan. Sadly, the clinic is only open to local club members, of which I ain't one I hadn't been able to come up with any benefit to having this club membership in years. Now I guess that would be: riding in this clinic
    I've joined clubs before just to ride in a clinic. When I was on the board of one of the local associations, we used good clinics as a way to increase membership. It is very typical.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    I'm pulling together some dates for Jimmy in Unionville, PA. We will do a series of gymanstic clinics suitable for green horses. Maybe late Jan--early Feb. I hate planing that time of year as the weather can be so iffy. But not likely a weekend either.....

I saw Steven Bradley has some in MD.
    BFNE -- do you have an email list? I'd love to get in on some Jimmy gymnastic clinics. If I have enough notice, I will totally skip out on a day of work

MLE clients will be teaching a lot this winter! The January calendar includes:

1/12: Katie Wherley at Bennett's Creek Farm (Frederick, MD)
    1/12-13: Stephen Bradley at Playland Farm (Union Bridge, MD)
    1/16: Stephen Bradley at A Bit Better Farm (Brookeville, MD)

Stephanie Rhodes-Bosch will also be traveling back to Sunset Hill (Woodbine, MD) throughout the winter to teach.

Contact me (margaret@mythiclanding.com) if you're interested in any of these.

Or check out the events page here on COTH or the MLE web site (http://mythiclanding.com/activities.htm) or the MLE Facebook Fan Page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mythi...31445710243540)
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

If there is interest, I bet we could arrange dressage clinics with Jessica Ransehousen and James Dwyer at Blue Hill (indoor arena). Both are really good teachers and obviously totally used to working with eventers (including those on really green horses).
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by alliemare View Post
    BFNE -- do you have an email list? I'd love to get in on some Jimmy gymnastic clinics. If I have enough notice, I will totally skip out on a day of work

Sent you a PM with my email. I do have a list.

This month, my little black pony has gone to Eric Smiley and Boyd Martin. She's ready to move up to Prelim so we were looking for some new challenges for her Eric Smiley was my idea as I like his riding and teaching style. Boyd Martin was at JMP's insistence and, honestly, I was very worried about it because I'm not at all familiar with him -- riding or teaching -- and there was a thread on here about that clinic that wasn't very encouraging.

My mare is not your typical 16.2hh big-boned easy-going eventer. She's 14.2hh or 14.3hh, quite hot, and a strong man could probably carry her over his shoulder. She's also easily outraged. I knew she'd do well with Eric Smiley, but I had no idea how Boyd's exercises would be for her so I was nervously watching the phone on Saturday morning.

And good news -- it went very well. Glenbaer loved the clinic and really liked Boyd's teaching style, although she did note that he seemed to be better suited to established pairs than to green combos.

Here's
    a cute pic of my mare with her group at the Boyd clinic. I hope Glenbaer posts about the clinic as it seemed quite different from what was said in the previous thread.

Not sure who's on the agenda next. We're hoping to take the horses to Aiken for a few weeks and find some more interesting outings there.

Default Joe Meyer

Anyone familiar with him (I'm not)? He's teaching a Nov/Trg classic 3-day format clinic in Jan. @ Meadow Creek. Worth going?
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Jim Wofford also teaches at Sharon White's Last Frontier Farm throughout the winter, while Sharon is south. He is also there on a regular basis the rest of the year, although I train with Sharon when she is in town. You can get on their mailing list by contacting Sharon@lastfrontierfarm.com . The farm is in WV, just over the VA line, outside of Berryville VA

Post dates when you know them.

A really nice indoor about middle of the Eastern Shore let me know they have some open weekends in March. If anyone is interested maybe we can find someone to come in for a weekend and teach. I would ideally like to book two days with a possible third evening for dressage (like Friday).

Up north I am looking for an indoor for a weekend in January or March. Has to be a weekend day, sorry. I have been trying for YEARS to get off days during the week to ride and it's totally impossible so I'm giving up. Until I retire....

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Toadie's Mom... Joe was just here locally last month. I didn't ride with him as I knew nothing about him, but he was just down the road so I went and audited a couple lessons. Keep in mind these were lessons not a group clinic situation, but I really liked what I saw and heard. I would do a clinic with him if the opportunity arose.

Ya'll keep posting dates (especially in this area!). I'd love to get one of the ponies out to a clinic but I'm so out of the loop anymore on dates.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

It isn't official yet, but we should be hosting Nicola Wilson at Locochee in Middleburg at the end of January! I am VERY excited about that. I'll post more info when it becomes official, but PM if you want details or want me to email you official info as soon as we get it.

Paul Ebersole will be doing gymnastics clinics at Morven again this winter. Saturday or Sunday. Jan 19 & 20, Feb 2 & 3, and Feb 16 & 17. The dates just got finalized so it's not on Morven's or Paul's websites yet, but it will be soon!

I am doing the Boyd clinic in Jan at Texas Rose!!! I have stayed with Joe Mayer when I was trin g horse and he helped me a bunch. Super nice guy and I really enjoyed riding with him!!!
    No Worries!

I have some friends that recently attended an Eric Smiley clinic in NC. They couldn't say enough good things about him, and how he gave the rationalization behind what he had them do.
    The Gloucester County Dream Park in NJ, just over the Commodore Barry Bridge, has a HUGE indoor and lots of jumps. However, they seem to book most of their weekends. Additionally, the indoor is cooled in the summer and heated in the winter, and has phenomenal spectator seating. No idea pricewise.