The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Offset stirrups--yay or nay?

Like a lot people, I've been using the generic HS jointed stirrups for about a decade now but have decided to give regular fillis irons another try. So, I was browsing irons online the other day and liked the looks of the Stubbens, but wasn't sure if I should get offset or regular. Is offset more of an h/j thing or do dressage peeps use them too? And what the heck is double offset? I'm putting together my Christmas wish list, so I would appreciate any insight. Thanks!

I found them extraordinarily painful, but a lot of people love them and say they help keep their leg on their horse's side better. There have been a few threads on this

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...set%20stirrups

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...e-offset-irons
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

I am using the Stubben double off set irons. For years I fought my foot position. My weight was heavy in the outside of the iron, while the inside seemed to be quite light. When I first got the o/s irons, i put them on backwards, purposely, thinking that would equalize the weight. It worked okay, but eventually I switched to placing them correctly. This works even better for me, although it seems it would worsen the uneven problem I had. It is counter intuitive to me that it works, but it does. Correctly placed, I have a longer more relaxed leg, and I rarely think about my foot position anymore. I have the Stubben double o/s on the saddle I use most often, and now have regular o/s on my other saddles.

Offset stirrups work if your stirrup would otherwise not hang so that the base is horizontal. This is most likely to occur with a shorter stirrup on a fatter horse. To test if one would help you, turn your stirrup so it is perpendicular to the girth, and then see if the stirrup pad is horizontal or if it slopes down towards the horse. If the latter, this may help.

I would say 1/3 of the irons at a BNT in Florida were offset irons...

Personally, I've been consistently riding 2 different dressage horses - owners have 1 saddle with flex stirrups, one has offset irons. Dont really notice a difference. Noticed considerable difference with the flex stirrups when riding a jumper, FWIW.
    “There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.”
    -Winston Churchill

There are two kinds of offset...and offset eye (shorter branch on outside than inside) which is meant to tilt the ankle inward. This is for jumping. And there is an offset tread which is meant to allow the ankle to sink down more, again meant for jumping/two point. Both help allow the foot to stay on the inside of the tread. (And the question is why a rider on the flat would like want either.)

There is also an offset eye which allows the leather to be flat and the iron to be at a right angle to the leather. Therefore it hangs in an easier place to keep the foot straight on the outside of the tread w/o the leather wrapping around the shin.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Does anyone have the instructions for how to correctly use the Stubben double offset irons for dressage. Does R stirrup always hang on the right side and should the R marking be on the back or the front of the stirrup?

They are not meant for riding on the flat.

However, when you pick them up/put your feet in, they should be longer on the inside (cocking the angle inward), and drop your heels lower.
    I.D.E.A. yoda