The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stallion suggestions for my mare

I have a mare that I just love. She is a 16.1hh Hessen mare that competed successfully as a hunter before I owned her. She has one foal with a tb stallion that was approved silver premium RPSI.

She is an older mare, so I probably have one opportunity to breed for a foal of my own. The foal will most likely stay here with me, and I would pursue dressage.

I am having a hard time selecting a stallion, as I am just not that educated or familiar with what my mare's pedigree would be best suited to breed to in order to get the best foal I can WITH a great temperment. (NOT looking for a pro ride, I want a horse that I can stand to live with first and foremost) I know what I like as far as structure and type, and right now I am considering Linaro.

If you have the time to look at my mare's photo's/pedigree, Id love some opinions, either here or pm me. Thank you in advance!

Pedigree: Sire Marlo (holsteiner), Dam Furiosa (hessen)

http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?i=10560812

Photos:

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/...irl/Pennyf.jpg

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/...l/pennyd-1.jpg

~kerri

Linaro is deceased and is frozen only and that might be an issue for an older mare. Do you have a really good repro center near you?

Camiros? He's at Foxfire Farm where Linaro lived. Produces dressage horses and jumpers. I've only known two jumpers, and they've had SUPER easy temperaments. I've heard it's one of his strong suits =)

I also have a Marlon grand-daughter, though she is full Holsteiner. She has crossed very well with sons of Contender. She has had one by Contefino and two by Contester. You can see them all on my website. The mare is Parlona. Her offspring (all under 'sold horses') are Wandah, Valonia and Calixto. There are several Contender sons here in the US, and many more in Germany.

www.minglewoodsporthorses.net
    Maryanne Nicpon
    Minglewood Sport Horses
    Ballston Spa, NY

Thank you so much Maryanne, This is exactly the kind of information that I was looking for. Im going to dig into information on Contender and his sons.

So with Penny's breeding, would you look primarily at Holsteiner stallions? Your mare's foals all look very nice, with the kind of movement anyone would want to see.

Not that it matters with shipping/and airports everywhere, but I forgot to mention that Im in Northern CA.

Thank you

GIANT Contender fan here.

Contango (US - deceased)
    Camiros (US)
    Cantos
    Contefino (US)
    Contendro I

All excellent sons of Contender!