The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunter stallion suggestions for Thoroughbred mare

Anyone want to play?

15.3 h 2000 Thoroughbred mare (pedigree). Racehorse broodmare turned hunter (I haven't seen them, but apparently all her foals look like her). Looking for a 2015 hunter baby, with improvements to her legs, scope, and stride. I have a couple ideas but I'm curious which stallions others would choose.

Sorry these aren't square conformation shots.
    Conformation 1
    Conformation 2
    Trot

Have fun!

Amazing
    C.Quito
    Bliss MF
    Apiro
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

Ironman would add height, stride and scope. He is also well known for the wonderful temperaments on his foals.
    NSM
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com

Give us some more info on your mare. What has she done showing wise?

Is she short strided, nervous, quiet, brave, etc?

It will help narrow the stallions down. I am assuming you want a hunter foal? To keep, or to sell?

I also have a 15.3 hand 2000 tb mare that was my hunter. She isn't the same type as your mare, (your mare is longer bodied and bigger boned) but I had great success with Roc USA. He improved her hind end, gave me much more elasticity in movement and gave me brave. Very brave! My oldest is 4 and he could literally walk into the derby hunter class now and never look at a jump. And that did not come from my mare!

She used to jump x's over the standard. I needed glue to stay on! Her son has an amazing canter and is very slow over the jumps. And his brother is only a weanling but already won his oldenburg inspection! The 4 year old is 16.2 and I think the weanling will probably end up 17 hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post
    Give us some more info on your mare. What has she done showing wise?

Is she short strided, nervous, quiet, brave, etc?

It will help narrow the stallions down. I am assuming you want a hunter foal? To keep, or to sell?

I also have a 15.3 hand 2000 tb mare that was my hunter. She isn't the same type as your mare, (your mare is longer bodied and bigger boned) but I had great success with Roc USA. He improved her hind end, gave me much more elasticity in movement and gave me brave. Very brave! My oldest is 4 and he could literally walk into the derby hunter class now and never look at a jump. And that did not come from my mare!

She used to jump x's over the standard. I needed glue to stay on! Her son has an amazing canter and is very slow over the jumps. And his brother is only a weanling but already won his oldenburg inspection! The 4 year old is 16.2 and I think the weanling will probably end up 17 hands.
    How could I forgot ROC!! I love him! I want one of my own someday..
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

1 members found this post helpful.

I love my Apiro Colt who is out of a half tb mare. My guy is only 7 months old, but I think Apiro added a lot of bone and height to the mare. My boy is also super sweet and well behaved, I think Apiro helped with that as the mare can be a bit hot, even the judge at the Royal commented on how well he was acting and I was the only one he said that to all day!

Quote Originally Posted by EquineLVR View Post
    How could I forgot ROC!! I love him! I want one of my own someday..
    I would also love to have a Roc baby one day!
    I am working on getting my tb mare in foal this year as she has been a bit of a pain in the past. Roc is on her list for a keeper for me and the other on the list is Parcival. It might be a bit out of the box and want to put him out there just because I like him. I don't know how many people know about him as he is newer to the breeding shed but has been around showing for a while. I find his pedigree very interesting and have a mare that has similar pedigree that did very well in the jumpers.
    Parcival - http://www.parcivalonline.com/introducing_parcival.htm

Our Amazing colt is everything we could have ever asked for. So much so we repeated the cross for a 2013 foal and her 2014 foal from Amazing has already sold. I don't think you would be disappointed and Ahna is fantastic to work with. I have found her to be very honest about what her boy brings to the table.

I have had 4 Escapade babies out of 2 different Tb mares and all we attractive, friendly, nice movers and a joy to work with. Alicia was always great to work with and is very accomodating when it comes to getting swimmer to me. Even when my mare decided to not go by the book.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

My first thought was Amazing or Bliss MF as well. She also looks like she'd cross well with Popeye K as well. I am also a big ROC USA fan. I really like your mare.

CUNNINGHAM !!!!!!!
    Maryanne Nicpon
    Minglewood Sport Horses
    Ballston Spa, NY

I hope not to get flamed here but some of the stallions are so opposite in type that even being mentioned in the same list for one mare is rather mind boggling.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

5 members found this post helpful.

Figaro B at Rising Star Farm. I have a stunning filly out of my Allen's Prospect mare. I am going to do a repeat breeding.
    www.hilltopfarmva.com

Facebook: Hilltop Farm VA

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

to add I had a beauty by Sir Wanabi -

my TB mare pedigree - now OLD MMB :

http://www.pedigreequery.com/flying+mountain2

Not that any of the suggestions shabby by ANY means

Just adding to the mix

http://i56.photobucket.com/
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

3Dogs, your link wouldn't work for me.

You mare should be crossed with a stallion with a short topline as she is long in the back. I'd also like to see her rump improved.

I do know that crossed with TB mares, Apiro has had lovely children.

I would also suggest
    you take a look at Paparazzo.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

I co-own a very nice Apiro colt out of a full TB mare.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

Cunningham (Cassini I X Iorella/Contender) has phenomenal legs (and feet), scope and stride. He also throws a wonderful, uphill topline, strong loin connection, and excellent bone, although of very modern (not at all bulky) type with a very pretty face.

Like the others, I am adding to a list of good suggestions, having loved what I've seen and produced from this particular stallion, especially crossed with TB mares.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

thanks - I will go check what the heck is up with the security settings - sorry about that!

And ponygirl - I agree with you - it is everthus - so far only VB seems to have addressed the conformation of the mare - If I can get my darn PB to work, I will put up a picture of my TB mare and the result of the cross with Sir Wanabi - I know others posting do have such shots - good idea as to what is "improved" . While I have seen lots of offspring of the stallions suggested, sadly I rarely have seen the MARE that produced the offspring - but that may be my remiss in not checking websites (mine is miserably out of date - !!!)
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

1 members found this post helpful.

IMO...form begets a majority of function & duration of function, so...

If you improve the depth of her rump, making sure to breed to something with quality limbs/hooves, you will address bone & step, possibly scope. Once you find something to address the conformational needs, find something that ensures scope.

C.Quito is a good suggestion, as is Cunningham (though I find Cassini's can run long). I've always liked the hind-ends, bone, and rideability that Darco's, and now Parco's, seem to possess. Nice deep hip, great feet...Not leggy, or particularly uphill, but this is where having a TB is good. One of my most favorite, coveted mares, was a Darco. Amazing mare, the attitude could not be beat.

Nob Hill
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

As VB indicated, your mare needs help with her topline. Given that, and what you are looking to improve in your mare, I'd recommend looking at two recently retired competition stallions: Carracci and Ralando. Carracci is a Caretino son that I'm eagerly awaiting two foals from. He could have easily done the hunters and derbies but was ridden by a junior so USEF rules nixed that . Ralando is a Ramiro son that did well in the jumper ring and then concluded his career as a successful hunter in the A/O and working divisions. They are different types of stallions but depending on your preference, either stallion should accomplish what you are looking for in this breeding.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

2 members found this post helpful.