The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do you feed your Blue Pop Rocks? aka My horse won't eat them!

How do you feed the picky eater the blue pop rocks (coated omeprazole pellets)? She gets oil with her supplements, but I remember reading that they shouldn't get wet before ingesting so I've tried to just throw em in with a few handfuls of grain, but they end up mostly sitting at the bottom :-/

Also, they seem to "melt" a good bit as she eats them. I tried to scoop up the handful of grain and feed it to her by hand and my hands were electric blue!

Any suggestions that are easy for the barn help to do? Or should I not panic and just keep trying?

My use generally eats them in her pelleted feed but she has her days where just is not interested in her feed. When that happens I put them in a syringe with molasses. Rather than mixing all togthether I put the tip of my finger on the syringe, put a layer of molasses, then a layer of pop rocks, molasses, pop rocks, etc. It looks kind of like a candy cane in the syringe. I make sure to finish with a big tasty dollop of molasses. They don't get too wet and she is happy to have a molasses treat.

Sometimes I just drizzle molasses on the top dressing of pop rocks and that encourages her to eat.

They shouldn't get wet with WATER; oil is perfectly fine. So, just add oil to feed, mix, sprinkle granules on top.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I started my guy out by mixing them with applesauce and using a syringe. He eventually got used to the taste and now eats them fine in his food.

I mix mine with oatmeal (just a handful) and then I DO add a little water and feed immediately. The package insert for the drug states they can be mixed if fed within 30 minutes of mixing.

I tried applesauce and that lasted a few days before it was "denied." I also tried mixing in grain but eventually horse stopped finishing gain. I tried molasses but eventually that drove ME crazy with it getting everywhere though the horse was happy! Oatmeal has been working now for 4 months.

I believe its fine to contact water if fed within 15 minutes of contact. Like, sprinkled on top of a mash. 30 minutes is a long time for an enteric coating to stand up to the water.

The coating is designed to last long enough to get through the stomach, but digest in the hind gut. If it lasts too long, the digestion will not occur, thereby rendering the granules ineffective.

The best thing to do is limit contact with water to the least amount of time possible really.

Mine is boycotting her feed right now because I put "Total Calm and Focus" powder in it this weekend. Has not touched it since unless I put molasses on it. I guess I am of to TS to see what new feed I can entice her with. Picky Eaters and Picky Eaters with Ulcers can make feeding challenging.

If you look in the baby food section of your grocery store there are a variety of flavors that you can use to syringe with. I try to mix it up sometimes so they don't get sick of one thing.

Good Luck.

I can top-dress one packet. I use a couple of cups of Purina Equine Senior because it's slightly oily, then sprinkle the pop rocks on top. If they don't stick because the food is cold, I drizzle a couple tablespoons of oil, swirl, then sprinkle the BPR.

She gets this in the morning, and only this small amount of grain. She likes the senior feed and so it goes down pretty quick. I wanted the volume to be so small that it's easy to tell if she's eaten the meds.

The rest of her mash - hay cubes, flax, etc. - is fed at night. That's a bigger volume, is wetter, and often takes her longer to eat.

Three packets for treatment have to be pasted. I put my finger over the syringe tip, pour in the packets, then add enough oil for it to float. Sometimes if I'm feeling charitable I add a little molasses.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by quarterhorse4me View Post
    If you look in the baby food section of your grocery store there are a variety of flavors that you can use to syringe with. I try to mix it up sometimes so they don't get sick of one thing.

Good Luck.
    I have been there many times. Strained carrots, plums, oatmeal ... lots of choices there.

Stryder - what kind of oil do you use?

My mare will consume 1 packet on her alfalfa mash; however, since I am awaiting her BPR order to arrive in order to go through the treatment dose with her (you've seen my ulcer woes thread...!) I would like to syringe them to ensure they are consumed as quick as possible, thereby increasing my chances that the enteric coating is not compromised while in her mash. Also, I'm not sure that she would readily eat 3 packets in her mash, although she is currently eating 14 Ranitidine pills crushed into a powder and mixed with her mash...

SFH, I use Saffola oil. I know lots of people use corn oil or whatever's cheapest, but I liked the profile on this, got it at a good price and stocked up.

And my mare had lost so much weight that oil was better than molasses. I use an irrigation syringe - big tip and ring on the plunger - so even if it's slippery I have a good grip. Mixing it in the syringe was the only way I could get it to work, there are too many of the granules to suck up and the tip gets clogged that way. But pushing out, no problem, if that makes any sense.

My mare is a trooper, no doubt about it. And after all we've been through, she absolutely will do things just because I ask her to. Swallowing 3 packets and a glob of oil is one of those things. No way to mask it or pretend it's tasty. Yuck.

That said, there are people here with horses who will eat all 3 packets in grain. I hope you are one of those lucky ones.

There have been days she would get her 3 packets over an hour or so, in two tiny batches of senior. That's also worked on days I just couldn't bear to see her scrunchy face after the pasting.

I think my mare WOULD eat 3 packets (that can't taste any worse than 14 crushed up Ranitidine pills...!); however, I would like to syringe them to ensure they get ingested immediately, and aren't compromised by sitting on her mash for 15 minutes while she eats.

Can you link me to a photo to the type of syringe you use? I have one of those bigger syringes that I got from my vet, but the rubber is getting dried out on the plunger and even coating it with oil isn't helping it "plunge" any easier now. I almost have to use two hands to get the damn thing to plunge! LOL!

Just about any plunger gets dried out after you've used it long enough, or it's been washed. I pull mine out, dip the rubber part in oil, then plunge a few times. Good as new. I threw a couple away before my BO showed me this trick.

I get my syringes at the feed store. They're large and have a ring to put my thumb through, and large "wings" or whatever they're called to stabilize my first two fingers. If I can get the part number next trip to the barn, I'll post it for you. I'm really no good at posting pics.

thanks for the help folks! Glad to know the oil isn't a deal breaker, I'll try it that way. I need an easy way for the barn help to feed, syringing isn't an option for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom's Rider View Post
    thanks for the help folks! Glad to know the oil isn't a deal breaker, I'll try it that way. I need an easy way for the barn help to feed, syringing isn't an option for me.
    RR, you are absolutely correct - ease of use is key to making sure it happens. I have an empty square supplement container (3-4 gallon size) with an attached lid. Inside is a few pounds of equine senior, a 1-qt. bottle of oil, a baggie with the Abler packets and small safety scissors, a few carrots and a small scoop. It stays on the feed cart. If they drizzle oil, they stir with the carrot, add the granules and feed. Very easy. I keep it restocked so it's never an issue for the barn staff.

Where do you purchase these? And how much do you feed?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Briseis View Post
    Where do you purchase these? And how much do you feed?

Thanks!
    Abler.com.
    One Packet Per day preventive; 3 packet are the treatment dose.

Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    Abler.com.
    One Packet Per day preventive; 3 packet are the treatment dose.
    Do you need a vets prescription to order from there?

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondJubilee View Post
    Do you need a vets prescription to order from there?
    nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom's Rider View Post
    How do you feed the picky eater the blue pop rocks (coated omeprazole pellets)? She gets oil with her supplements, but I remember reading that they shouldn't get wet before ingesting so I've tried to just throw em in with a few handfuls of grain, but they end up mostly sitting at the bottom :-/

Also, they seem to "melt" a good bit as she eats them. I tried to scoop up the handful of grain and feed it to her by hand and my hands were electric blue!

Any suggestions that are easy for the barn help to do? Or should I not panic and just keep trying?
    Abler also makes it in an oral paste syringe