The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by gold2012 View Post
    I have a couple questions.

First, does the u.s. have no FEI officials? We have some? Right? I am trying to understand why our CCI is 800, theirs, so much less. Perhaps we need to educate some of our officials to the DEI level?
    We have FEI officials. Quite a few. But the FEI rules say that you have to have to use "foreign" officials. At a US FEI event, you can only have one (IIRC) US National FEI official. The rest have to be from foreign countries.

If you are lucky, you can get one American, one Canadian, one from Bermuda, but lives in the US, and one that is already coming over for another event, and you split the travel costs.

At a Dutch FEI event, you can get one from Belgium, one from France, one from Germany, one from Denmark, with minimal travel costs.

Secondly, US events pay their official an actual fee, in addition to expenses. I understtand that, in Europe,the officials ONLY get expenses, no payment.

Also, the FEI has rules specifying the amount of prize money you HAVE to pay. I think it is easier to get sponsors to provide the prize money in Europe, because it is more of a mainstream sport.

Why cant we have one day CIC's? No stabling required? Is this just a money maker?
    No idea. But my experience is that stabling is usually NOT a moneymaker for the organizer.

For a national event, we have to have a td, judge, course designer. The judge usually avts as ground jury president. Etc. can we not double up duties for fei events? I remember seeing several FEI where they listed one person, multiple jobs.
    Not quite sure what you are trying to say here, but the President of the ground jury HAS TO BE one of the dressage judges.

I am not aware of any additional "doubling up" allowed at FEI events.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

My daughter competed in Germany this season. She entered a number of CICs and none of them cost more than $100. In fact the fee that USEF charges American riders to enter a foreign competition was more than all but one of the entry fees.

Also, the jog was done immediately after your dressage ride and was not a fashion contest as everyone jogged in their riding clothes, then went on to jumping.

It is our understanding that the officials are not paid. Dunno how, or why, that works.

My comment on stabling was more to the point that many of us have to drive long distances to get to an FEI event. I personally could not attend any single event (never mind an FEI event) without stabling.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

1 members found this post helpful.