The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default 2013 FEI Eventing Rules--has anyone seen them?

Speculating here, but from this:
    http://www.fei.org/sites/default/fil...0_%20WEB_4.pdf

it looks as if there have been some very significant changes.

Since they are to go into effect in 2013, you'd think they would have been available to the public by now. Per the memo, they are in the hands of the NFs or were.

One aggravating (to me) change is that a CCI now called "Long Format".
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Speculating here, but from this:
    http://www.fei.org/sites/default/fil...0_%20WEB_4.pdf

it looks as if there have been some very significant changes.

Since they are to go into effect in 2013, you'd think they would have been available to the public by now. Per the memo, they are in the hands of the NFs or were.

One aggravating (to me) change is that a CCI now called "Long Format".

They locked out all amateurs and shortened XC even more. What a ------- crock of ----. ------- maggots.

2 members found this post helpful.

Either I'm losing my mind, or there is no longer a requirement for three dressage judges for CCIs. And the second inspection is required for competitions with jumping on the last day for 2013 ONLY. Of course, reading tea leaves from the memo is dangerously speculative.

The qualifications are a bit upsetting. The CIC 2* now requires you to run a 1*? Money grubbing tactics as before you just had to have your qualifications at Prelim. Ehh, well the FEI was never my favorite organization.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow... are these changes confirmed or just a proposal? I have a problem with most of them, especially the new requirements for qualifications. Definitely a money grabbing tactic - these new rules are going to count a lot of talented young riders out for financial reasons alone. They're really going to snuff out chances for a lot of up and coming riders, especially Canadians. In Ontario, we're already very limited to FEI opportunities - qualifying will be near impossible when you now factor in having to haul to Bromont of the US more often for FEI runs... $$$$$....
    Last edited by *Trinity*; Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:06 AM. Reason: still irrate!

The new requirements for qualifiers definitely throw a wrench in my plans for 2013 as well as a present a big financial challenge. I almost feel like foregoing the FEI entirely and just staying at Horse Trials.

Also, I believe that after Jan 1, all newly registered horses have to be microchipped for FEI? Or did I imagine that?

Wow, I am really upset about the new qualification requirements. Changes are as follows:

You must have a CIC* to run a CIC2*. Before, you only needed two Intermediates.

You now need either a CCI* AND a CIC2* or two CIC2* to run a CCI2*. This throws a wrench into my plans, I've entered three CCI2*'s and yet now I have to go back and get another CIC2* before entering one in 2013. My CCI*'s are long expired. And one of mine will expire after 2013, so if I don't get both my CCI2* and CIC3* this year, I have to get ANOTHER CIC2*. GD it.

Now you also need two CIC3* to go to a CCI4*. I'm mildly ok with that, but it does make things more difficult for me as an amateur who has trouble hitting up more than 2-3 FEI events a year.

If they're going to add more qualifications, I really would have preferred they extended the time period before the qualifications expire.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    The new requirements for qualifiers definitely throw a wrench in my plans for 2013 as well as a present a big financial challenge. I almost feel like foregoing the FEI entirely and just staying at Horse Trials.

Also, I believe that after Jan 1, all newly registered horses have to be microchipped for FEI? Or did I imagine that?

No, you did not imagine. Yes, FEI horses must be microchipped.

I will never in this lifetime ride at a high enough level to have personal dealings with the FEI. But it sure seems to me that the FEI has moved into regulating eventing in a big way with these rule changes and the one about restricting participation in a non-FEI competition within 6 months of an FEI competition (yeah, I know: that one has been 'splained).

Does the FEI mandate similar requirements from the other equestrian disciplines? Is this a matter of bringing eventing into alignment with others or specifically targeting eventing?

Last point: much as this may have an impact on the US and Canada, I imagine it will make qualifying an impossibility in many other countries. My initial take is that it will be relatively easy in Britain and the EU. More difficult in Australia/ NZ and the US. Harder in Canada. Next to impossible in South America, Central America, Africa and Asia. But maybe I'm wrong.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

There are times when I really would prefer to see eventing
    out of the Olympics. Then North America (and, perhaps, much of the rest of the English speaking eventing world)
    could go their own merry way and forget the FEI completely.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Comedy View Post
    Wow, I am really upset about the new qualification requirements. Changes are as follows:

You must have a CIC* to run a CIC2*. Before, you only needed two Intermediates.

You now need either a CCI* AND a CIC2* or two CIC2* to run a CCI2*. This throws a wrench into my plans, I've entered three CCI2*'s and yet now I have to go back and get another CIC2* before entering one in 2013. My CCI*'s are long expired. And one of mine will expire after 2013, so if I don't get both my CCI2* and CIC3* this year, I have to get ANOTHER CIC2*. GD it.

Now you also need two CIC3* to go to a CCI4*. I'm mildly ok with that, but it does make things more difficult for me as an amateur who has trouble hitting up more than 2-3 FEI events a year.

If they're going to add more qualifications, I really would have preferred they extended the time period before the qualifications expire.
    Well, this is a big deal for me as well. The expense of an FEI event is noticeable, especially now that horse has to be microchipped, along with the vet stuff and now this. I am inclined to just forego FEI events entirely and aim for a series of Intermediates with the goal of going advanced.

Wish they would change rules and then institute them one year following, so that we could plan accordingly.

Well, this is a big deal for me as well. The expense of an FEI event is noticeable, especially now that horse has to be microchipped, along with the vet stuff and now this. I am inclined to just forego FEI events entirely and aim for a series of Intermediates with the goal of going advanced.

Wish they would change rules and then institute them one year following, so that we could plan accordingly.
    Agreed especially to the part bolded.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Just out of curiosity, could there be a less nefarious reason for increasing the qualifications? I fenced judged a CIC** this year, and for some reason those riders had a lot more trouble with my fence than the intermediate division. 2 rider falls and one horse fall. I was a bit perplexed as to why this was (faster pace maybe?) Regardless, even if too many riders/horses are moving up too fast, they could obviously strengthen the qualifications without requiring additional FEI events.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    Just out of curiosity, could there be a less nefarious reason for increasing the qualifications? I fenced judged a CIC** this year, and for some reason those riders had a lot more trouble with my fence than the intermediate division. 2 rider falls and one horse fall. I was a bit perplexed as to why this was (faster pace maybe?) Regardless, even if too many riders/horses are moving up too fast, they could obviously strengthen the qualifications without requiring additional FEI events.
    Nope...no reason to now require a CIC* or , more CIC other than money. Before the rule change, there was no real incentive to do a CIC*....not they are creating one to get more fees. The micro chip I personally do not have any issue with...and it isn't that expensive to do.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Nope...no reason to now require a CIC* or , more CIC other than money. Before the rule change, there was no real incentive to do a CIC*....not they are creating one to get more fees. The micro chip I personally do not have any issue with...and it isn't that expensive to do.
    Good to hear the microchip isn't that expensive. I was wondering about that and was considering getting Mick into the vet and rushing through the paperwork for FEI before the end of the year, if that is even possible.

I am just majorly annoyed with the increased qualifications. If we had 10 advanced horse trials, we would still have to go back and do a 1* in order to do a CCI**. That is just plain irksome! Wish we could picket the FEI, HAHA!

If anyone knows Robert Rittenhouse (? the event organizer from California), he's a member of the FEI Eventing Committee. Perhaps he could explain all this and the reasoning behind it.

And this is why I won't give FEI a penny of my money, even if my current horse does make it to * level or higher. I just refuse. I think there is plenty to keep me busy at the USEA levels, ROFL, since he's only at Novice thus far. And I DO wish eventing would get out of the Olympics and away from this behemoth which I can't say has brought anything but grief.

But Ann, the microchip is the least of your worries -- they are very inexpensive, heck we microchip wildlife all the time and buy bottles full of them, I can do it myself. I guess it depends on whether the rule requires that a vet does it. Or at least your vet signs a paper that they did it.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    If anyone knows Robert Rittenhouse (? the event organizer from California), he's a member of the FEI Eventing Committee. Perhaps he could explain all this and the reasoning behind it.
    Robert Kellerhouse

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    And I DO wish eventing would get out of the Olympics and away from this behemoth which I can't say has brought anything but grief.
    I certainly agree. The first ruling was the initial test, to see the mettle of NFs, riders, horse owners and organizers. Sure, lots of talk, mostly at the lower levels, but the big Kahunas didn't ever really make a stink, because they see Olympic Gold, WEG Gold, or 4* fever.

Round two, and now the Big kahunas get to feel the bite directly. Pay us to play or take a walk...but walk to where? For Eventers there is nothing past advanced that is now not covered by FEI. You want Rolex, pay the piper to dance. You want WEG, pony up the dough or go home. You want Olympics, the only path is paved with FEI gold.

What we are seeing (or experiencing) then is the beginning of splitting equestrian sports into the haves and have nots. The have nots will muddle around in non-sanctioned shows for either the cost or prize money factor, but really denied access to the "premiere" events. The haves will be more and more limited in show options as the FEI drives name recognition (aka BNx) to their coffer...I mean sanctioned shows. This kills me for I love, I mean I really LOVE to watch Events like 4*s, WEG, and the Olympics, but now I find the thought so distasteful I am less inclined to view them. BNRs will do what they have to, but the more they accept the FEI regime, the less control they will eventually have and the more the sport will diminish.

To those who feel microchipping is no big deal...you are not bothered that a NGO is requiring owners to perform an active act upon their horses, just for the sake of running in an FEI event? It is one thing to make passive rules (no drugs, must be proper age), but now they have established they can dictate what will be done *to* a horse. It is not the issue of cost, but sure, if micro-chipping is such a good thing, why is it not required by all NFs. Imagine USEA stating that any horse entered into a show must be chipped. I could imagine the law suit(s). The only way to picket the FEI is to not attend their shows. The only way to stop this madness is to have big visible people say enough is enough and start something new. Yeah, Sterling and I will run a 4* some day.

2 members found this post helpful.

Good to hear the microchip isn't that expensive. I was wondering about that and was considering getting Mick into the vet and rushing through the paperwork for FEI before the end of the year, if that is even possible.
    I think it was less than $100. But the cost of registering and your passport...that is a lot more. But the microchip alone doesn't bother me as I would love to see us doing it more---and people tracking horses more with it.

I care about this as a breeder...and stop people from mis-representing a horse by just "changing" his name. Microchipping is similar to branding...it helps us know who a horse is. It has NOTHING to do with competing at the FEI levels.

In Europe...all horses have to be microchipped. It helps track horses travelling between countries. I personally think it is a good idea. I know a few breeders here in the US who already do it for their youngstock. I'm considering doing the same thing for mine.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **