The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default paying for saddle fitter

i signed up to have a saddle fitter come to my barn to help me with a saddle for myself and my two horses who are very different. the cost is 150.00 - is that a reasonable fee?

Depending on the area, it sounds fine. Is the fitter certified or just a sales rep ?

sounds good to me. I spend $250 for fitter to travel to my barn, do a tracing, try on various demo saddles and flock one of my saddles. One horse.

My saddle fitter charges $65 per horse for basic saddle check, shimming or padding and trying different saddles. Tracings and adjustments are extra.

Yes, I think that is within normal parameters, especially if they are traveling to you, as long as they are actually good at what they do and won't cause more problems than you had in the first place (which I have discovered, after going through FOUR of them, is pretty dang rare).

Quote Originally Posted by NRB View Post
    sounds good to me. I spend $250 for fitter to travel to my barn, do a tracing, try on various demo saddles and flock one of my saddles. One horse.
    I think mine was around $200 as well-- including travel to me (70mi), tracing, fitting, and flocking. Definitely worth it!
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

It depends on what they will do for that. My current fitter charges only when he works on a saddle. I had someone else who charged me for the evaluation. He, ironically, was the one who was the least effective and actually reflocked my saddle so that it then hurt my horse .
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    It depends on what they will do for that. My current fitter charges only when he works on a saddle. I had someone else who charged me for the evaluation. He, ironically, was the one who was the least effective and actually reflocked my saddle so that it then hurt my horse .
    I also had a worthless evaluation, but he didn't even do any work. This guy actually charged me 125.00 to look at my saddle for about 2 minutes and tell me it didn't fit my horse (duh), and he couldn't make it fit. Didn't even offer any advice about what I should look for. One of the few times in my life I've been speechless.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I paid $300 recently. I was quoted $195 on the phone but after he did his work, he told me about the $100 farm call charge. Saddle still doesn't really fit the horse so needless to say I am not too pleased.

Mine charges $100 for the first visit to look at 2 saddles, and then if she does work on it, the charge may be adjusted based on the work she does. She then comes back after 20 hours in the saddle and does a recheck for $30. If she's coming to the barn to see other saddles/horses, I can have recheck for $30. She uses the heat sensor and does not represent any saddle company.

The one we use charges $35 for a basic check, $75 if you need tracings and such. Any work done on saddles is additional. Then we have a $175 travel split as she comes from 4 hours away. Since she did 17 horses the last time she was down here the travel split was pretty minimal.