The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Eventing /pedigree peeps - how about this mare? Update - I took her...

I dont need another horse, but like some of the pedigree for an eventing broodmare and like her . What are your opinions for sport/breeding?

http://www.pedigreequery.com/first+crack2
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/first-crack/
    Last edited by elizabeth Callahan; Dec. 7, 2012 at 07:56 PM.

i would not be in a hurry to breed her unless, horse.
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Smile

that last quick reply, should read; unless , she has shown some talent as a sport horse herself.
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

I don't see anything exciting in her pedigree and I can't really tell much by those pics. I am in a different part of the country but can tell you that I picked up an OTTB mare, 8 years old, 16.3, good conformation with Pleasant Colony and Cox's ridge. Both good for sport. I cannot move her to save my life. Decided not to breed as she was not proven in sport and just saw a train wreck coming as far as the amount I would put into a foal and the amount I could eventually sell it for. Now I have put several thousand into her trying to get her going enough to place her.....and am about to put a couple more thousand into her. Hope to sell her for $1500 just to get her in a good home. She is a fiery redhead and not many people in the market for that!

She ran 78 times in 4 years,so most be a little durable. And slowish..

Isn't BRave Shot. The sire of AFR?

I like the page, but I'm not terribly fond of the horse in the photos. She looks quite upright in the shoulder and in the pasterns in front, and something seems a little odd about the angle of her pelvis.

Of course, perhaps she's amazing in person. Do I ever know about how hard it is to get pictures that show the horse well when you're on short time at the track. But she is definitely one I would see up close and personal, were I interested.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth Callahan View Post
    Isn't BRave Shot. The sire of AFR?
    Yes.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

The photos are poorly taken and she may be much nicer in person. I love the set of her neck and I think her shoulder and wither combination are nice. I can't get a handle on her hind end because of the angle of the pic. I'm going to FL today and if I have time I'll track her down and ask if I can take some pics.

Running 75 times in 6 years means she has good feet, a good brain, and is made of steel. My gosh, this girl needs a good vacation!

I think she is lovely, and I love her pedigree. All of the Artax's I've come across were sound, sane and athletic. She has a great wither and shoulder, good top line and I like how her neck comes out. The hind end is her weak point in my opinion, but it is not too shabby!

That is a lovely pedigree....and a good looking mare. I've also seen several offspring of Artax...all good jumpers, athletic and very pretty. She looks the same.

On the dam side...Bold Bidder is in a lot of sport horse pedigrees and further back down below is Bolero---that's a great line for movement.

Then looking at the mare her self....she is nicely put together. I love her hind end---shape and angles that I can tell in her walking video. I bet she jumps. Her neck ties in nicely to her decent shoulder. She looks balanced and a very nice type. She has a full brother already in sport. This is a good one.

ETA: I could be talked into splitting this one with you.....even though she is the "wrong" color
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Dec. 3, 2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: clarify
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

BFNE and I have the same taste

Having a stallion son of Artax, I can vouch for the jumping ability. For $700, I think she is worth taking a chance on. And if she's still sound after that race record that is a definite bonus!

I like her, Didi, and I also like that FairWeather and Bornfree like her! I'll tell you what, this thread is an eventing breeder braintrust going on.....
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

As a side note, Several Marquetry's have zipped around 3 and 4*'s, and Apalachee is nothing to sneeze at--He is from the Rough Shod family and is responsible for many classic distance horses (which I like in an upper level prospect)

1 members found this post helpful.

To add onto Fairweather's post. Ozzy's Dam was an Apalache Mare. He was an appendix and while I always told myself he got his Redonk Bomb-Proof Amateur Awesomeness from his dad, I always felt he got the majority of his movement (frequently got an 8 on gaits) and his jump from his momma. (not the best pic, but it's something!)
    ------------------------------
    Life Goes On

She has a much nicer hindend than you see in those pics. I sent EC a bunch of new pics. She's a super nice mare in person.

Her current owner bought her to keep her stateside and to make sure she got a well deserved retirement/vacation. Her owner said that even after a hard summer she's happy and seems to have no stop. Maybe that's why no one ever bothered to stop with her. What a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by FairWeather View Post
    I think she is lovely, and I love her pedigree. All of the Artax's I've come across were sound, sane and athletic. She has a great wither and shoulder, good top line and I like how her neck comes out. The hind end is her weak point in my opinion, but it is not too shabby!
    I have an Artax baby who is all of those qualities: additionally, and this seems to be the norm, she is as sweet as sugar and incredibly forgiving. And boy can she jump! I have not actually started her over fences yet, but I was lunging her the other day and dropped the whip...our circle moved and she saw the edge of the whip, veered in, and jumped it with perfect form like it was a two foot fence! She was very, very pleased with herself!!

OP: still on the list for Cathy All the Way?

Well I adore my Artax son and her GrandSire on Dam side Brave Shot I knew very personally...she looks like him..one tough sweet horse...Its your money your barn and if YOU like her go for it....