The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

For the time being, I would purchase a few more litter boxes and put them out. You may even experiment with types of litter. Some cats seem to prefer the very fine, sand like clumpable litter. Not all, but some.

If he starts using a litter box in a "convenient" location that you can't really deal with--say in your living room--at least let him start using it and the slowly migrate it to a more suitable area.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    For the time being, I would purchase a few more litter boxes and put them out. You may even experiment with types of litter. Some cats seem to prefer the very fine, sand like clumpable litter. Not all, but some.

If he starts using a litter box in a "convenient" location that you can't really deal with--say in your living room--at least let him start using it and the slowly migrate it to a more suitable area.
    Ditto above. How long ago was the amputation? I've seen amputees or other physically compromised pets start having issues about when & where. What is a front leg that was taken off? If the cat experienced discomfort of any kind hopping in and out of the box Kitty may've just decided the box was the cause of the discomfort and is avoiding it. Same principle as discomfort urinating w/UTI - associative.

I saw a cool set up at a feral cat rescue cattery. They took one of the giant rubbermaid tote containers and cut a hole directly into the side so the entry didn't require any hopping into the box - about 3 inches from ground level. The litter was all at the other end of the rectangular bin. It was sort of like a beach of litter (IDK how else to describe it). If you've got an extra bin somewhere you don't mind cutting a hole it, maybe give it a whirl??

Best of luck! These can be tricky to solve.

Amputation was about a month or so ago.

Going on 2 days of box-using, no accidents. I HATE having it in the kitchen, but until its consistent, I am not taking my chances. Its either box in the kitchen=100% use, or box in the basement= accidents.

I do have a few more boxes. I was also thinking of making some sort of crate/hidey hole out of wood, that resembles a crate, so I can put boots on top of it, and sort of conceal that its a big litter box.

Like this, but homemade.
    http://www.hayneedle.com/sale/decora...FYZM4AodugEAsg

Spacy, do you have any closets on the first floor that have doors on them? My husband installed a cat door into a closet for the family cat in our old house--when he and ex wife had a cat. Apparently, that worked really well. Box was out of the way, kitty didn't have to go out of her way to use it and everyone was happy. They sell them at pet smart and the like.

Might be an option if you need to keep a litter box on the main floor.

I thought this was beautiful, but too expensive. I don't think it would work with a tripod, but it's a good solution for feeding one cat a different food from others.
    Their testimonials also say it's good for litter boxes (keeping dogs from eating cat,hum,deposits).
    Edit to add the link, doh:
    http://meowspace.biz/

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    Going on 2 days of box-using, no accidents.
    Excellent news! I agree - gross to have in the kitchen, but MUCH better than unexpected "accidents".

No closets, BuddyRoo. Old farmhouse. So no hideaways, believe me, been racking my brain on a spot that's not disgusting.

Well, shoot. It was a thought. Are you handy enough to build something?

I mean...handy "enough". I'm sure I can rig something that looks like an old milk crate (to kind of blend in with the old farm look and hide the box)

I was thinking, a large rectangular milk box. But instead of the top being open, it would be the end. Then line it with some sort of rug or sisal mat (so when he steps out he stops dragging litter into my kitchen! yuk!) and then put the box on top of that. Throw some boots on top for storage and there ya go.

I have no problem cleaning it am and pm. And I honestly don't smell it, its just the thought of it that skeeves me out. But coming home to no puddles around the house is sorta worth it.

We have a small covered dog house the litter box hides in. Privacy and and containment. Actually started out using a box on its side with the pan inside...but wanted something I could scrub.
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

If you don't mind, I think I'd like to try to come up w/ something for you to build. I'm pretty good at drawing out specs. I could keep it simple. Can you tell me more about your decor? I think we could make something that will work in your home w/o being totally obvious.

Why not get a covered litter box with a door on the front?

I think that she wants something that doesn't "look like" a cat box. She doesn't have a nice quiet area that isn't in the main area of the house. Not a place you really want to have a cat box.

Spacy - any update? Hopefully you haven't stepped in anything "unpleasant" lately!

All is good, cat is going consistently in the kitchen box. Broo, I will send you a photo, with where it is.

Dog peed on the stairs, but thats a whole 'nother bag of worms.

I swear, they can't both be good at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post

She also confirmed the same sentiment re: the wet food, so instead of buying wet I'm just going to add water to his dry food. He eats it just fine that way, and saves me $$.

She suggested a product called Cat Attract for the litter box? Anyone heard of this? She said many of her clients really were impressed by it.
    I like the Cat Attract, but I always buy the separate "jug" of it instead of buying it already in the litter. It's kind of expensive. :/

Got your FB message Tracy. Thought of you this weekend. There's a vet show on NPR in our area midday on the weekends. Sent you a PM on FB.

Spacytracy, how's it going out there? Still good, I hope?