The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trees like Passier? (Dover Dressage anything like Dover CC?)

The Passier tree fits on my TB mare like it's made for her....she is flat-backed, with big withers.

The unfortunate thing is that I'm 5'2'', and I just CANNOT ride in Passier's standard Amazonian-length flap. I have a semi-custom (diff brand) with a 14'' flap, and that's what I'm most comfortable in, although I can manage probably up to a 16''. Most Passiers seem to come with a 17'' or 18'' flap.

I am on the hunt for a short-flapped one. (I know they made a few youth saddles over the years.) BUT...are there any other saddles out there that fit pretty similar? As far as CC saddles, she fits really nicely into the Dover Circuit trees...are the dressage saddles at all similar?

(Countys (obvi, with their curvy trees), Keiffers, Stubbens are all a no-go...at least without big alterations.)

I don't know what seat size you need, but Pelham Saddlery has a few Passiers with shorter flaps in a 16.5.

Good luck!
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Have you looked at the Passier Relevant? They come with a shorter standard flap than the GG's and others. I believe they are 16.5" long? I loved Passier's fit on my older horse, but I am 5'5" and had the same problem with the long flaps. The Relevant fit us both great...maybe check them out?
    Wiiliam
    "A good horse is worth more than riches."
    - Spanish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by cb06 View Post
    Have you looked at the Passier Relevant? They come with a shorter standard flap than the GG's and others. I believe they are 16.5" long? I loved Passier's fit on my older horse, but I am 5'5" and had the same problem with the long flaps. The Relevant fit us both great...maybe check them out?
    I will keep an eye out for them on Ebay. (Bargain budget hunter!)

I'm also digging around the internet for their youth dressage saddle (Top Star? Something like that) but they are few and far between and hold their value.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    The Passier tree fits on my TB mare like it's made for her....she is flat-backed, with big withers.

I am on the hunt for a short-flapped one. (I know they made a few youth saddles over the years.)

As far as CC saddles, she fits really nicely into the Dover Circuit trees...are the dressage saddles at all similar?
    Passier has synthetic trees as well as the PS tree - current junior saddles are all in the synthetic tree, perhaps send off an email to Passier to check when they switched over (they also manufacture saddles with foams panels now).
    I suspect you will not like a junior saddle unless you are very petite.

I've seen some aftermarket saddle flaps cut down - it can be done well.

Expect to re-flock many of these older wool panelled saddles, also note the gullet channel width.

Re Dover, they've just re-vamped their Circuits

I PM'd you. This is not my listing, but check it out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Passier-Gran...item1c2e4a087f
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!