The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Smoky smelling tack, what to do?

I bought a couple of tack items off of eBay, they arrived smelling dreadfully of cigarette smoke. I cleaned and conditioned them all hoping that they would take on the smell of the leather cleaner instead of cigarette smoke, then hung everything on my porch to air out. A week later everything still reeks of cigarette smoke. I don't even want to take any of the stuff to the barn because I don't want the tack room to start smelling like cigarette smoke. I don't think my BO would appreciate that.

Does anybody have any tips or tricks for getting the smell of cigarette smoke out of leather goods?
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

1 members found this post helpful.

Put it on a horse?

My dog once rolled on a dead seal on the beach. We had to throw out her collar.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

3 members found this post helpful.

Good Lord I just aspirated Hazelnut coffee!

A big ol' thumbs up for you for the random hilariousness!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I hope you made comments on eBay that the seller's stuff smelled like cigarette smoke! How infuriating!

Wonder if you could add cinnamon oil or tea tree oil to the leather oil/cleaner to at least mask the smell till it wears off?

Just use it and the smell will go away. At Gulfport 2 years ago, Hudson' Salvage had tons of stuff greatly reduced because they had been through a fire. I brought a martingale to the hotel room and had to stick it in the bathroom because it smelled so bad but after using a few times you couldn't tell.

You could try burying it in a box of unused (of course - I think used may add a whole new dimension of stink you'll be unwilling to explore) plain clay cat litter. I've taken some really rank items, wrapped them in a layer of newspaper, and covered in cat litter for a week. Works like a charm.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Along the lines of Emyrss' suggestions, if it will fit in a rubbermaid type tote, throw in some baking soda and seal it up for a few days.

I think that just using it and getting it nice and stinky with horse sweat will probably do the trick.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Put it on a horse?

Oh.My.God! That is a stink like no other! Around 30 years ago we were combing the beach for driftwood and came across a dead seal that was a little *ahem* ripe. Even though we didn't get near it we still smelled it for the rest of the day. How on earth did you get the dog home?

RE: cigarette smoke smell on tack. Use it. The smell will eventually fade.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Put it on a horse?

Along a similar vein: I was driving along a country road, and there was a deer carcass on the side. Clearly had been there a few days, but as I was approaching, I noticed its body was moving, as if breathing heavily. Just could not make sense of what I was seeing. As I drove slowly past, I looked closely and there was a yellow (well, pink at this point) lab, fully inside the ribcage of this rotting carcass, rolling around with a big ol' grin on his panting face. Oy the stench that he was going to bring home. I felt so sorry for whoever owned that dog :LOL:

5 members found this post helpful.

Hungarian Hippo, google "dog in elk."

Oh dear that was hysterical. Esp when she mentioned trying to use a hose to get them out...dear lord

OP: baking soda might do the trick, or vinegar?
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Put it on a horse?

did you take the collar off before you threw the dog away?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Hungarian Hippo, google "dog in elk."
    OMG! I laughed until I couldn't breathe! I can just imagine my vet's reaction to a similar phone call. Knowing my vet he'd probably come right over and bring all his friends.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    Oh.My.God! That is a stink like no other! Around 30 years ago we were combing the beach for driftwood and came across a dead seal that was a little *ahem* ripe. Even though we didn't get near it we still smelled it for the rest of the day. How on earth did you get the dog home?
    First we tried giving her an improvised sponge bath with a little travel size shampoo I had in my gym bag that was in the car. Then we drove back to the freeway scanning all the minimalls for DIY dog grooming places. No luck!

It was a long, hot drive in traffic to get home, with her in the back of the truck (in the camper shell). We definitely kept the little window closed. It took two baths to get her smelling like a dog again. But that collar! It absorbed the oil from the dead thing and we couldn't salvage it.

It reminds me of a Far Side cartoon of a male dog picking up a female for a date. "Why, Ginger, you look lovely. And whatever you rolled in sure does stink!"
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Quote Originally Posted by Effie1221 View Post
    I hope you made comments on eBay that the seller's stuff smelled like cigarette smoke! How infuriating!

Wonder if you could add cinnamon oil or tea tree oil to the leather oil/cleaner to at least mask the smell till it wears off?
    Well I left them neutral feedback, the tack was what it was described to be, the smell was just gag worthy.

I used one of the items yesterday, I couldn't bring myself to use the bridle since it still stinks and I didn't want to put my horse's nostrils through that.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog