The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fautras trailers?

Anyone have experience with these European trailers, www.fautras.com? I'm looking to downsize to a 2h bumper pull and find these quite interesting. I'd love to downsize our tow vehicle when it is ready for replacement as well. There are a few US dealers now, but I haven't seen one in person yet http://www.theydeservethebest.com/ . I'd love to know if the Provan Premium is comfortable for a larger horse - 16.3 or so. Anyone with a Fautras?

I extensively examined a Fautras ProVann Premium about a year ago at Traveled Lane in MD. I was very, very impressed with the quality and features. It towed beautifully with the Highlander I had at the time, too.

That said, I had concerns with the stall length, which I measured at 74", for our horses which are 16.1h and 16.2h. The dealer clearly stated it was better for 15-16h horses. I wasn't ready to buy at the time, anyway, and I recently bought a new-to-me lightweight 2004 Trailers USA Minuteman which has a more "standard" 80"+ stall length. I also have a new vehicle (Grand Cherokee Summit) which has a brake controller installed to handle that need.

Now, I also looked at the Böckmann Portax AK (the Portax A and AE are similar in size) and would have been comfortable with an 18 hand horse in there. A few greenbacks more than the Fautras, however.

Thanks Jim!
    I've been reading a variety of things and couldn't get a clear handle on the size issue. I'm looking at a demo model Oblic that has been made as a straight load -therefore more length and width than the Provan. I'm very tempted to take the leap.

I really like the looks of the Boeckmann as well but I'd have to go a long way (longer than for the Fautras) to get one. Whatever I get my tow vehicle will be overkill. I have a superduty Ford double cab turbo diesel, lol. But, when I go to replace our 12 year old truck in a few more years we can go smaller.

I would have liked to see the straight load Oblic as Jon did mention that as a possible alternative to the Provann given my size concerns. The down-side is that it's very pricy if I recall, compared to the smaller on. Oblic is also available with a front ramp option, just like the Böckmann Portax AK. I really, really wanted that feature, too, but the stars were shining in a different, but financially, um... advantageous...direction. Gotta love Craig's List and "impecable timing". LOL

1 members found this post helpful.

If you contact a Fautras dealer they can advice you on the size trailer you'd need, I believe they have trailers for the bigger horses. I was very impressed with the quality and thought of this trailer when I saw it at Equine Affaire.

If you are interested in a European designed trailer you can also look at the SAFR trailers

http://safrhorsetrailers.com/

Or this trailer, a US made trailer that is very similar to the Brenderup
    http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/hom....asp?ID=407993

Wow, that Nextrail looks really, really nice

Yep, I'm looking at a demo model, so somewhat used and therefore much cheaper than a new Oblic. It has the front unload ramp, swing out tack locker, etc.

The safr trailers looked like they would be hot in the summer, but maybe not. The Nextrail look very nice but I can't find a website. The link on the horsetrailerworld site doesn't work. I found a facebook page through google and the website link on the FB page is different and doesn't work either. Having a basic webpage isn't that tough so I wonder what is up. Particularly since they list two links that don't work.

Can't complain about finding a demo at an attractive price for that Oblic...NICE trailer...grab it!

I looked at Safr, Nextrail online, the Safr looked really great but price was too high for me. Nextrail has a great price but I couldn't find one up in NE to go see. I visited and had a good look at the fautras which i initially had my heart set on.

Then on the same day at another dealer I looked at the Trailers USA warmblood and signed the paperwork there and then. Well made, a little heavier than the fautras but still lightweight (I have a nissan pathfinder), huge amount of room in the nose of the trailer, big stalls - and about $5k cheaper.

The straight load Oblic that you're looking at is the only one in the USA right now, and Pam at Foxhunt Trailers has been selling trailers for a long time, so you'll be happy, I'm sure!

I liked the Fautras trailers so much, I decided to become a dealer myself. There is nothing like it on the market right now!

If you are talking about the Oblic ST that is in Wisconsin Foxhunt trailers? I just checked that out. The dealer let me put her 15.3 rocky and her Daughters 16.2 horse in it and they were fine and had plenty of room. They were both very big and very wide. I thought it was interesting that the dealer said this could still be turned into a slant load too if I wanted to change it down the road for a few bucks they would have the material sent to them and they would convert it for me for free. I do like the straightload better than a slant so that wasn't my concern but that was a nice add-on. They are very nice people and I don't believe they would steer you wrong. I just can't afford it right now but I will get one if my tax return is more than I expect. I know she said she demos that trailer, but It looked new to me with no new smell to offend the horses. Hope this helps

This video of the "aid system" is really amazing. If I could afford one I would buy it tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TxSpo_WEZA

I was looking at these online this fall. This trailer is now what I pull around in my day dreams.

Finally bought the Oblic ST demo. Hooked it up last night and let 2 of my horses check it out. Fit the wide load Haflinger and the leggy TB just fine. They stepped in and sniffed around happily. Now to clean out my 21 year old 3h Turnbow gooseneck to sell!

I wonder how the AID system is in high winds? Wind has been an issue in NJ lately....

Congrats, MPG!!

I am jealous! pls keep us updated as to how it works out.