The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default FEI has lost its way?

Just making an observation of the vast rule/qualifications changes that the FEI has recently imposed. All I see is more $$$ for competitors and organizers. When did the FEI become a for profit business or has it always been? The qualification labyrinth was already crazy. What are others thoughts and how do you think these changes will affect Eventing?

1 members found this post helpful.

What are the rule/qualifications changes?

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Where can we get a copy of the 2013 Rules for Eventing?

I think that is what the OP refers to.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

One word: RIDICULOUS. Really upsetting...

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

As far as Eventing goes, to answer the OP's question... YES. When they dropped the classic long format three-day in an attempt to cater to the money... whether that was money from the european wb breeders as speculated, or the money from the Olympic ties who threatened to drop eventing. Doesn't matter. Cowering to financial interests leaves little room for the holier-than-thou sitting on their self-proclaimed mt olympus to care much about the actual sport.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

3 members found this post helpful.

They have lost their way and I feel like they have lost their mind. They seem so out of touch with riders honestly, which is how I feel as an eventer. Dressage riders and SJ may feel different, but I'm not feeling psyched to do an FEI event with all the rule changes that are going on and all the politics.

I feel as though they are making decisions as a corporation instead of a rider. Yes I understand the need for money, totally understand, but if there is a lessened demand from alienating your riders then how do they expect to profit. Yes there is always going to be riders who want to qualify for the FEI levels and want to do the CIC***/CCI****, I am one of those riders believe me. But there are riders out there that don't have the time/money to do all the new qualifications.

Its a tough situation and honestly the FEI needs to think before they speak. How freaking hard is it for the committee to get together after they make a proposed rule and think long and hard about how riders are going to perceive it. How is it going to be seen? What is it going to effect? Does it need clarification? It is not hard, but I swear they make rules that I have to read over and over again to clearly decipher. It is ridiculous and can be easily avoided.

This is why I think they have lost their brains. Riders do not like to spend hours deciphering a rule and talking with other riders/contacting the FEI to figure it out. Make it clear the first time. The USEA does it, the USEF, USDF, British Eventing does it, Canadian Eventing is clear as well. Their rules are quick glances and you understand, no need for a diagram to get the concept.

To the FEI, get it together because it is getting old.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

5 members found this post helpful.

i think the FEI is nuts. It went from being a non profit organization that oversees olympic events to a money making machine in its own right - with a Brand that matters more to them than overseeing sport as they are supposed to ..

2 members found this post helpful.

It's all about the money. And if the riders and judges do not immediately stand up to this, the FEI will control ALL HORSE SHOWS for dressage, show jumping and eventing.

Their new rules are clearly to destroy any competition from any other show circuit.

Heinous.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    They have lost their way and I feel like they have lost their mind. They seem so out of touch with riders honestly, which is how I feel as an eventer. Dressage riders and SJ may feel different, but I'm not feeling psyched to do an FEI event with all the rule changes that are going on and all the politics.
    I can't speak for SJ's but there is equal outrage in the dressage community. I haven't encountered a single person who thinks this is good for the sport and all see through it as a money/power grab but the FEI. As many others have said, absolutely RIDICULOUS.

The problem with the FEI is that it purports to be both (1) the international regulatory body and (2) the international promotional body for equestrian sports. To add to that, the FEI also brandishes the claim that "at all times the welfare of the horse must be paramount and must never be subordinated to competitive or commercial influences."

This is an organization that has had a royal as its president since 1954.

The inherent conflicts of interest within the missions of regulation, promotion and horse welfare are so glaring as to be laughable. Toss a succession of aristocrats into the mix, and you've got a situation that has no place in the year 2012.

The FEI is also in thrall to one of the most corrupt and lawless international organizations on the planet, the International Olympic Committee.

This is a Bastille that must be stormed, the sooner the better.

(We can say it's for the welfare of the horse, especially with these new qualification rules.)

On the other thread on this subject, I raised two points that I'd appreciate comment on from this group.

1. Does the FEI exert the same amount of control over qualifying competitions in other horse sports within its mandate? In other words, is eventing being singled out or is it just being aligned with what happens in driving, dressage, jumping, vaulting and endurance?

2. How are individuals going to be able to qualify at any of the FEI levels from countries that just don't have that many CICs and CCIs? It seems that the requirements would be substantially easier to attain in Britain, Ireland and the EU than, say South America, Central America, Asia and Africa. Please educate me if I'm wrong on this.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

So the answer is for all top riders in every sport to get themselves banned on purpose! With no one left to compete in FEI competitions the FEI would seemingly have to come to it's senses.

actually now that i think about it - i wonder if this is aimed at the AQHA (or whomever the reining org is)

mbm, you mean because the AQHA has a very profitiable organization without having to be bothered with the FEI?

The NRHA (National Reining Horse Association) governs the reining.

The NRHA Futurity just paid out over $1,500,000 to the Open Futurity and about $650,000 to the Non-Pro Futurity in Oklahoma City. The payout schedule is complicated, but the winning run for the NRHA Futurity Level 4 Open was paid $165,000. The reserve was paid just over $143,000.

FEI vs. NRHA.....

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    actually now that i think about it - i wonder if this is aimed at the AQHA (or whomever the reining org is)
    The top reining shows are usually suported by the NRHA. National Reining Horse Association, which gets members from almost all stock breeds.

I feel as though reining is the smallest and newer faction. I thought it was a result of the Dressage shows that held FEI test without being sanctioned by the FEI. Also the huge eventing derbies that are attracting top FEI riders.

The FEI could learn something from the AQHA/NRHA. Be profitable while actually having a grip on what is occuring. The AQHA, though not always on top of things, still gets riders and caters to them IMO better than the FEI and there are numerous top western riders in he AQHA. Its not a horribly tough model.

Please excuse spelling, my phone kkeyboard is acting upp.

Edited to add that the western folks get paid as well as appy mentioned. The FEI should be taking notes.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

1 members found this post helpful.

thanks for the correction: NRHA

if i remember the FEI clarified the rules to mean any competition that has FEI tests that is NOT put on by the governing body - so the USEF here.

to me that would indicate the NRHA.... not sure about eventing - do you have big events that are not sanctioned by USEF or your local governing body?

in the end it is a money/power grab - and honestly i am not sure how the FEI can be a money making entity *and* and overseeing entity - seems like conflict of interest....

if i were a card carrying FEI person i would immediately go and ride /officiate in as many non sanctioned events as possible!