The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Roomy Midweight Riding Jacket that is not TOO hot?

I have been looking for a roomy jacket (one that I can zip up and still have full motion for shoulders/arms) that does not make me TOO hot but is solid enough that I don't get cold. I thought perhaps a lightweight quilted jacket, but I can't find one that doesn't make me look like the Michelin Woman. Then I tried one by Ariat, but the sleeves are so long that they cover my hands completely and the end-of-sleeve detail won't allow me to shorten the sleeves. Plus the arms are lined with fleece so my shirt sleeves bunch up inside.

It does not help that it seems that all riding apparel is sized for anorexics, so my usual size large in regular women's clothing needs to be XXL or sometimes larger! And if I go XXL, then I run into the too-long sleeve problem.

So, requirements are: roomy, midweight, windproof outer fabric (so hay will not stick), two way zipper (so when riding can unzip lower end a little), and a longer style (not bomber jacket - longer to cover butt & upper thighs). I would like to be able to wear a turtleneck and a sweater underneath on cold winter days, but usually would have on only one layer.

Any suggestions?

Check out Land's End - Sears sells their products in their stores or you can shop online. They have petite sizes so maybe the arms will be short enough for you and I know they have a few jackets that aren't super heavy but are windproof. Also Eddie Bauer.

Here are a couple that come in petite and might do the trick:

Lands End

Eddie Bauer

I have the Ariat Lexi jacket and love it. I think it's got two-way zip but can't remember offhand. Fitted and thin, but still warm and with enough roominess that I can layer under it. The sleeves are long, but they have snap buttons at the bottom, so I keep the bottom couple of snaps open and they're a comfortable length for me.

I know you're looking for something longer, but I've been using a jacket similar to this for about 20 years and have never had a problem with it. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/32937...warm-up-jacket

The sleeves are nylon-lined so they slide easily. Don't need a 2-way zipper because it's shorter. I HATE jackets that are longer in the back----I keep sitting on them when I post, which pulls the jacket down in the back. Is a cold butt a problem for everyone but me?? It's lightweight, and, in mens' sizes, may be a fit for you.

Kerrits Shoe In Jacket. It's being sold now for $100 less than I originally paid for it, but I like it so much I don't really mind too much. It sounds just right for you.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

Default LLBean

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/71458...fitness-jacket

Perfect for riding: warm enough over a cotton turtleneck, roomy enough to layer over polar fleece on coldest days. Plus a two-way zipper, so I don't end up sitting on it while posting.
    Proud Rubenesquestrian

I agree about most jackets being too short. I like a jacket to cover my butt, which is why I need one with a 2-way zipper. NOT easy to find. So, I still use my old ski jacket. It's Gore-Tex, wind-proof/waterproof, has tons of pockets. I love it. I've been looking for a similar one without the "for equestrians" mark up in price...no luck.

For milder weather I have a waterproof Pac Tech Pacific Trail jacket with 2-way zipper and zippers under the arms for better ventilation. If I wear a fleece underneath it, I'm comfortable riding in it in 28-30 degree temps.

Good luck to you!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Thank you for all the responses! I knew I would shorten my search if I asked here.

At this point, I am going to try the LL Bean Jacket. Their sizing has always been true, in my opinion, so this might be my best bet. I love all the color offerings.

I am in SC, so our "winters" are not that cold, but it sometimes is in the forties and brisk outside, so it will be great to have something lightweight, yet warm and windproof. I am going to order one right now!

SCM1959

My Christmas present to me last year was a 5 in 1 jacket I got through Dover. I love, love, love it. I can add to or take out as needed, the sleeves on the inner jacket zip off for a vest and it covers my butt. Has lots of pockets too.
    And nothing bad happened!

In November of 2011, I got a Mountain Horse Forest Rider Jacket, in navy. I just love this jacket. It has a bunch of zippers all in the right places, detachable hood, it is great for barn work, perfect for riding, even riding in the car it is not overly a fat coat, also water proof. It is warm, but not too warm. I live in N.AL, and it can get cold but not too cold. I do not feel like the michelin man in this coat. I can wear short sleeves under it or a sweat shirt. I like the draw string waist. It is made for active folks, also for riding horses. Not sure smart pak carries this any more but here are some reviews. It is not too hot or too cold. It has zippers under the arm pits so you could open it up if you got hot. Nice! If you do not like this coat I would suggest a bike riding jacket of some sort.

http://reviews.smartpakequine.com/74...ws/reviews.htm

I too have the Forest Rider jacket, but I find it to be EXTREMELY warm. I started wearing turtlenecks and long sleeve t-shirts under it because a sweatshirt is too warm until it's about 20 degrees out. Maybe I'm just a warm-blooded Midwesterner? I also bought my jacket last winter, so it's not like they changed the weight of it.