The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bridle recommendation?

It's Christmas time, and I'm looking around for a new bridle for my boy. I'm looking for a something with a figure 8 noseband, not much higher than the $200-$300 range.

Yoko is 16.2, but he has a very petite head. It doesn't look out of proportion, but it makes for a hard to fit horse. He needs a very small noseband, probably something large pony sized. We just bought a new halter, and it's yearly sized.

Any recommendations for bridles that fit horses with a more refined head, or know of anyone that lets you pick and choose sizes of various pieces?

Thanks in advance.

I have a cob edgewood figure-8 that fits my narrow headed TB very well

With JustBridles.com, you could "build" your own from whatever size parts you need. That sounds like a good option for you.

(If I had a jumper, I love this one—http://fivestartack.com/Shop-Bridles...ht-Bridle.html. 15 percent off now too!)

JustBridles is great for this sort of thing. I have the same problem and thought I would have to mix and match, but my horse ended up fitting in a Cob Edgewood, though it is a normal noseband and not a figure-8.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    (If I had a jumper, I love this one—http://fivestartack.com/Shop-Bridles...ht-Bridle.html. 15 percent off now too!)
    That's what I have, and it's beautiful. There are measurements on their website, and I found the noseband on my full size one was slightly on the small side.

I second the five star tack bridle! I have three (soon to be four... ) bridles from them and their craftsmanship and quality are phenomenal. Doesn't hurt that they're having a 15% off plus free shipping right now too!
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

I third the FST bridle! Their Chelsea figure 8 is just gorgeous, and the noseband is thin enough that it looks very good on petite head!

I was just cleaning my FST hunter bridle today, and the leather is so soft and supple. It looks brand new after a year of regular use, six months of which were daily use.

Oh my goodness, such wonderful reccomendations! Looking at all the options now, I'm wondering how I can pick just one? Seriously, how have I never heard of Just Bridles? It is like a cornucopia of bridle wonders.

On FST, I like the Ascot with the chocolate coloring. Love that there are measurements, really love the current 15% off. Not to mention the great press they're getting here.

2 members found this post helpful.

I can't recommend Edgewood enough! Amazing quality, A-show pretty, and they get so soft and buttery-y. I didn't go with just bridles, though that site is awesome, but my mare shows in a horse-sized set up with cob cheekpieces. Fits perfectly.
    here's a picture of her schooling bridle, which is exactly the same thing only it still has the horse-sized cheekpieces:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater
    You can never go wrong with Edgwood, and even used, they hold their value well (per 100s of hours of ebay windowshopping experience)
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

Default Five Star Tack

Another recommendation for Five Star here! I have the Wembley hunter bridle and absolutely love it.
    Proud Member of Team Barbaro!!!!!

Although I agree you can't go wrong with Edgewood, I also love FST - and the customer service is excellent. I was concerned about the actual figure 8 part fitting my cob-headed pony, but through the online chat I was able to get specific measurements from them immediately - and this was around 8 pm. They then sent a follow up email to make sure I had everything I needed. Super helpful people. I believe they are also willing to trade out pieces for different sizes if you need it, too?

Nunn Finer has a customizable bridle you can pick the size and style for every part. A nice bridle that lasts. I've had my for about 5 years and it looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeBrook View Post
    I have a cob edgewood figure-8 that fits my narrow headed TB very well
    Same here, except my boy has graduated to a full size. The Edgewood fits very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by silver_charm View Post
    Although I agree you can't go wrong with Edgewood, I also love FST - and the customer service is excellent. I was concerned about the actual figure 8 part fitting my cob-headed pony, but through the online chat I was able to get specific measurements from them immediately - and this was around 8 pm. They then sent a follow up email to make sure I had everything I needed. Super helpful people. I believe they are also willing to trade out pieces for different sizes if you need it, too?
    Impeccable customer service is something that really rates highly in my book.... The Edgewoods are just so pretty though. The obvious answer to get both. CoTH can be relied upon for enabling, right?

1 members found this post helpful.