The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Goals for 2013

I am just beginning to piece together goals for the upcoming year. It's something I like to do as the weather gets colder and I am riding less. Currently, we are having lovely weather here in Virginia, but it could turn frozen and cold any week now.

Wondering if others are doing the same and wondering if folks would like to start an ongoing thread, talking about our goals and progress toward those goals. I am quite isolated, so having this group to share and "commit" to might be worthwhile.

1. One of my major goals is personal but totally related to eventing/riding. I want to maintain a regular cross training schedule of pilates and running. And I want to lose about 10 lbs, if that is part of getting really fit.

2. Another is to get my young horse, Donovan, out and about to local schooling shows and ready to event by summer 2013. My goal is to compete him at Novice at the MDHT Loch Moy Schooling events.

3. A third is (gulp) to do the CCI2* at Fair Hill in the fall on Mick Dreamy. That is a huge one and is contingent on soundness and finances and success at several intermediate runs. I've thought of doing a CIC2* first, but that is so incredibly expensive and not much more than a regular Intermediate. This is my "dream goal."

4. I also need to get a coming 4 year old re-started and out and about by the middle of the year, and sold.

5. Purchase a yearling or 2 year old that is an eventing prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
    3. A third is (gulp) to do the CCI2* at Fair Hill in the fall on Mick Dreamy. That is a huge one and is contingent on soundness and finances and success at several intermediate runs. I've thought of doing a CIC2* first, but that is so incredibly expensive and not much more than a regular Intermediate. This is my "dream goal."
    Hopefully see you there! My ultimate goal as well for 2013 is to finally, finally, get my QR at the CCI**, aiming for FHI. We've have trouble due to hoof soundness (and one completely fluke bout of lung infection that forced us to W/D after dressage), but I'm hoping the fourth time's a charm. Dante is currently regrowing his entire hoof to address the issue, and it looks like he'll be super sound from here on it. I've picked FHI instead of JF or Bromont because I'm not sure I can put the fitness on him before May.

(Be careful about not attending a CIC**. To compete in a CCI**, you MUST have either a CCI* or a CIC** within the two preceding calendar years. I have no idea if you have a CCI*, but if you do, you're good to go! If you don't, you may need to consider doing a CIC**.)

Secondary goals are to get out to so many dressage schooling shows that Dante bores himself silly. I know we're close to breaking the 40/60 barrier at I/CCI2*/A, but I really want to put the effort into that this year, since I've now got a trailer. Jumper shows are on the plan too, for my nerves more than for him.

1 members found this post helpful.

Like I said last night, finish a prelim.

I actually feel pretty confident that that will happen easily. So, my real goal is to get a CCI* completed. Unfortunately, it looks likely to be a fall one. In a perfect world, it would be Virginia in the spring, but that is basically impossible without a substantial amount of time in Aiken or FL to get some early prelims done. That's not in the cards, unless someone writes a check for the farm I manage today. That's highly, HIGHLY unlikely! Oh well. I'll probably aim for the fall Virginia...maybe Midsouth.

Bigger, loftier goals, which would necessitate a very, VERY good spring prelim season, would be one or two intermediates in the fall...but that's really a pipe dream more than a goal.

Smaller goals included improving our show jumping (working on that), consistently scoring in the low 30s (very capable of that, just have to get it consistent! And I have a new theory that I am going to work on through the winter), keeping my mental game from sabotaging me at the events (also working on that), and riding my bike(s) to stay fit for my horse.

Default Goals

Wow, Ann, I will groom for you if you need it! Go pony go! This year for me is pretty tame, one, is get the new guy Ramsey, out and about, novice and maybe some hunting this spring, Dan will be for sale and if not sold the T3D will be on his schedule, and back the coming two year old Reggie, oh and start my new business so I have money for all of it!
    Cindy

Make any mistakes going forward!

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Default Start Eventing again!

It's been since early 2008 that I actually left the start box. I've spent the last 5 years having babies and elevating the direction and level of my career. Kids are now not baby-babies anymore, and my career is running pretty smoothly. My horse kind of took a back seat and I spent a lot of time just trail-riding and doing my own thing. Found fox-hunting a few years ago, which really got me back into the fast-and-fun of riding cross-country, and REALLY upped my riding level.

I also started organized jumping lessons a few months ago with a GREAT trainer, again, for the first time in about 5 years. She REALLY likes my horse, and in a few short months I feel like I'm back at the riding/ jumping level I was 5 years ago.

Prelim with this horse in the next few years is starting to enter my thoughts.

So therefore, my eventing goal this year is to do a few events, probably at Novice, potentially Training by the end of the year, and see if I can really fit in competing again into my life. If not, I'm happy to keep learning/ progressing at home in my lessons, and having a blast out hunting.

I've realized that I need to enjoy every minute of my horse, and if stressing over competing adds a level of stress to my overall life- then I won't compete.
    ~Living the life I imagined~

3 members found this post helpful.

My goals are a bit more modest than y'alls. But I do have a tiny post-it of a plan sketched out for the 2013 season

After doing 2 unrecognized events at BN this year, the last one quite successfully, I think we're finally ready to do recognized in the spring!

Over the winter, we'll be working on our dressage, the Weak Link. Also getting out to a few jumper shows, and weather-depending, I'd love to try to get at least one XC school in over the winter, and aim for the derby at Loch Moy in March as our first eventing-type outing of the year.

I'd love to be ready to do some Novice CTs, at least at our home barn shows, by the summer and probably some jumper shows in that height range as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Comedy View Post
    Hopefully see you there! My ultimate goal as well for 2013 is to finally, finally, get my QR at the CCI**, aiming for FHI. We've have trouble due to hoof soundness (and one completely fluke bout of lung infection that forced us to W/D after dressage), but I'm hoping the fourth time's a charm. Dante is currently regrowing his entire hoof to address the issue, and it looks like he'll be super sound from here on it. I've picked FHI instead of JF or Bromont because I'm not sure I can put the fitness on him before May.

(Be careful about not attending a CIC**. To compete in a CCI**, you MUST have either a CCI* or a CIC** within the two preceding calendar years. I have no idea if you have a CCI*, but if you do, you're good to go! If you don't, you may need to consider doing a CIC**.)

Secondary goals are to get out to so many dressage schooling shows that Dante bores himself silly. I know we're close to breaking the 40/60 barrier at I/CCI2*/A, but I really want to put the effort into that this year, since I've now got a trailer. Jumper shows are on the plan too, for my nerves more than for him.
    Well, as much as I read the rulebook, I have not figured out that I have to have * before a CCI**. I skipped the CCI* and went straight to Intermediate, mainly for financial reasons. Looks like I will be aiming for a CIC**, probably at VA Horse Trials. It is a bit irksome only because there is so very little difference between the Int xc and the CIC** xc but there is a huge difference in the expense. So glad you told me this as I had not figured it out from the rulebook.

So Dante and you have been running advanced. You are way ahead of us as we've done just 3 intermediates but we did way too many prelims. I have a lot of work ahead of me to prep for Fair Hill and it is a "dream goal" for this year, and we may not make it. Mick is a powerhouse but takes a lot of work to get fit as he is only 1/2 TB.

Regrowing an entire hoof? Wow, that is a LOT of stall rest and labor. But I've seen it done successfully many times so I bet you'll be at Fair Hill!

I better get into that crossfit regime and start getting some dressage lessons early this coming year! Mick is on vacation until Christmas and we are planning on doing prelim as a warm up at Souther Pines I.

But it seems like in my horsey life, nothing never goes as planned...

Yea Cindy! I can't believe you are going to sell Dan, but I know what it's like. I cannot afford to event without selling someone now and then. Selling Finn is really painful.... fortunately, I think he will be sold soon as the market is really hot right now.

Ramsey is the MOST gorgeous creature ever and I bet he has a good chance of being your next heart-horse. Lee's shoes are impossibly big to fill, but Ramsey looks like he might do it...

If you would groom for me at Fair Hill, I will buy you the best whiskey money can buy! Seriously! I will be needing help at VAHT for the CIC** in May as well, now that I have learned (duh) that it's require before I do a CCI**.

But I'm just a-dreamin....

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    Wow, Ann, I will groom for you if you need it! Go pony go! This year for me is pretty tame, one, is get the new guy Ramsey, out and about, novice and maybe some hunting this spring, Dan will be for sale and if not sold the T3D will be on his schedule, and back the coming two year old Reggie, oh and start my new business so I have money for all of it!

I guess I'll see you at VA CIC** then, lol. I'm tentatively planning to run there too, pending Dante's readiness. I don't NEED a CIC**, but my last one is from 2010, so the pressure is there to run both a CIC*** and a CCI** next year unless I get another QR at CIC**. So I'm (tentatively!) using the CIC** as our first Intermediate back after running a Prelim, because you're right, they're not much more than an Intermediate. Sometimes a touch tougher, sometimes not.

And luckily, the VA CIC** is only about $50 more than an Intermediate, so it won't break your bank!

If you ever have questions about what qualifiers you need for each show (it becomes a LOT more complicated for CCI**/CIC***/CCI***), feel free to ask, I know WAY too much about it thanks to being at this level for a bit too long.

Ann, sounds like a plan, I can groom for both, and yes, the plan all along was Dan was a sale horse as is Ramsey, depending on how they plan out, Dan is very sellable right now, and I have the long yearling conn/tbcross coming up and one in the oven, can't keep them all
    Cindy

Make any mistakes going forward!

Have a good year at training, move up to prelim in november.

Prelim in the Spring with my new guy. CIC* or CCI* in the fall if all goes well.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Whoever gets Dan is a very lucky person! What a wonderful guy, and destined to be a packer. Cindy makes the BEST horses!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    Ann, sounds like a plan, I can groom for both, and yes, the plan all along was Dan was a sale horse as is Ramsey, depending on how they plan out, Dan is very sellable right now, and I have the long yearling conn/tbcross coming up and one in the oven, can't keep them all

Dan is awesome! We've followed his butt a lot out hunting! A very very cool horse.
    Ann, your plan is super, I can't wait to see you at Fair Hill!
    It's about time some local folks show up in the warmup at Fair Hill! Can't wait to see you there!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

2 members found this post helpful.

argh... Now that the FEI has new rules for 2013 (see other thread), I have some hoops to jump through I have to do a 1* in addition to the CIC** in order to qualify. And I have to have qualifying scores/rounds etc. I'm hoping to do the 1* early in the season so I can still do the CIC** at Virginia. If I can remember the course, I can usually rely on my pony to figure out the rest.

Here are my goals with my 5 year old Morgan gelding.

1)Compete at Training Level Dressage and Score in the upper 60's (at the winter indoor series).
    2)Compete at BN May-July
    3)Move Up to Novice for Aug-Oct. and place in the top 6.

Here are my goals:

1) Event again! I haven't evented since 2010 between finishing school and accidentally wandering into DQ land (), but earlier this year I was reunited with my most beloved family homebred Connemara that we sold when I was in high school. He is super safe and confidence-building (just what I needed!!), and I'm really hoping to get out competing again with him in 2013. My goal is Novice for now, but you never know...

2) Earn the 4th Level portion of the scores required for the USDF Silver Medal (2 scores over 60%). My ex-eventer, now retired from jumping due to a tendon injury, and I got our Bronze Medal last year and are slowly figuring out the requirements for 4th Level. Dressage doesn't come naturally to my brain (I'm too scattered), so it's been good (albeit somewhat boring at times!) for me to buckle down and focus on becoming a better rider on the flat.

What? Did someone say they need to regrow a hoof? Send me your horse -- there is something crazy in our farm's soil; my TB just grew out a coronet abscess to the ground in six months. Yes, six. A whole foot. It is insane. This summer, his shoes were ready to be trimmed and reset at three weeks and were literally falling off from growth at 5 and I have an EXCELLENT farrier.

Go Mick Dreamy! Kick butt, Ann, that will be awesome, and Cindy, I can't wait to see what Ramsey does, that horse is a dreamboat.

My goals are simple: rehab stupid surgery knee while bringing pony back from time off due to SI ligament pull and get back in full training by the end of February.

Then, go kick some ass to make up for the fail performances this past fall when we were both injured and couldn't figure out WTH was going on. I would love to move him up to Training by the fall, but it's up to him to tell me when he is ready. I just want to be done with PT and jump sweet jumps again!

YB and I seem to be on the same page this year.
    Goal #1 is to finish a prelim, it'll be my first prelim but my horse is an old pro. So hopefully I won't get in his way too much!
    After that I would love to go to Red Hills to compete this year, but since we would only be doing 3 prelims before that I think that goal might have to wait until next year.
    Otherwise I just want to have a successful year going prelim, and go into the december break with a happy horse
    Chrissy

RIP Beaming Sportsfield (1998-2012)

Stay on, each day.
    Keep accident prone TB sound.
    Get to Aiken safely.
    Run and jump.
    If competing is part of running and jumping, then YAY.
    Come home with entire group in 1 piece.
    Compete over summer.

The last time I had the thought that this horse might go Prelim, he tore his SDFT so I am not writing down anything along those lines. This list of goals has not come to fruition in the 5 years I've had this horse so let's just be quiet, shall we?
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.