The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Nutrena Pro Force Fiber - Anyone use this feed? Opinions please...

I've been a Pennfield user for many, many years. Have always loved their feed. Have been feeding Fibregized for the past several years and love it. I've never had any problems with Fibregized, although I am aware that some people have had isssues with choke.

Yesterday, when we went to our feed store we found that they will no longer be carrying Pennfield! And they were long-time Pennfield dealers. Apparently there have been some issues since Pennfield filed for bankruptsy, specifically with the quality control of the feed.

What was recommended was Nutrena Pro Force Fiber, as this feed is said to be very similar to the Pennfield Fibregized.

I have no problem with Nutrena feeds (used to use their XTN and was very happy with it - only had to drop it because it had become impossible to get around here - very few Nutrena dealers anywhere nearby a few years back.)

So here's the issue at present - I can't find any real information about the Nutrena Pro Force Fiber. It isn't even listed on Nutrena's website under their products!

We bought one bag to try, so I know that the feed exists - but why isn't there any information about it on Nutrena's website? Is it a brand new product that was launched without any informational materials available for the consumer? I will be calling Nutrena tomorrow but I'd much prefer the unbiased opinions of actual people who use the feed over the opinions of those who make it or sell it.

So... COTHer's - does anyone use Pro Force Fiber? Are you happy with it? Any problems like making horses too *high*, horses not liking it, coats not good (or at least as good as they were on other feeds)? Anything else?

Any and all opinions welcomed as I try to find a good replacement for the Pennfield Fibregized that I've had such excellent results with for years.

Thanks everyone.

I saw it for the first time at my feed store yesterday.. I think it is really new. Maybe that's why the webpage is not updated yet.

I have some friends who feed Buckeye Unbeetable - also high fiber. have you looked at that? http://shop.2farm.com/pdf/PRODUCT%20...S/A4933850.pdf

I used to be a die hard Fibregized fan, but I LOVE the Pro- Force Fiber. After the switch to the new formulation of Fibregized, I wasn't impressed with how a few horses were holding their weight and appearance. The PFF seems just like the old Fibregized to my guys- great attitudes and they really bloomed again. Very happy customer here!

Hello Claddagh - We noticed your post, so thought we'd jump in and explain why it's not on our site. The Pro-series line is brand new for us, and has very limited availability, just in a few states in the NE part of the country. So, we don't have it on our website because it is a national website. That said, if there is anything you need from us, please let us know, either here or feel free to PM us!
    Thanks ~ Gina from Nutrena

2 members found this post helpful.

Hi Gina, Thanks for chiming in. I guess my most important question is (other than looking at the ingredient analysis as compared to Pennfield Fibregized) would have to be... since the Pro Force Fiber is brand new and only available in a limited market... what are the chances of it still being available in 6 mos., a year, and so on? If I decide to switch to this formula, will I again find myself searching for a new feed somewhere down the line (and maybe in the not too distant future)?

Are you even at liberty to say whether this formula is an *experiment* on Nutrena's part (you know, see how it goes over and if not up to expectations with sales just drop it altogether?).

I really hate switching feeds (i.e., comparing and finding one that works for us as well as whatever I'm currently feeding). It makes me kind of wary, not knowing what the future holds in terms of availability with your feed (which is basically why I am looking to get my horses off of Pennfield now). The ones who get Fibregized have done beautifully on it for several years and I really hate to *upset the apple cart* (if you know what I mean). But it looks like it is time.

Any information you can give will be very much appreciated.

TotB - Thank you. Glad to hear that you, as a confirmed Fibregized user, are totally happy with the Pro Force. It does seem very similar to Fibregized. Now I think I need to wait for more information from Nutrena on availabilty long term (since this is a brand new feed).

The horse that I'm most concerned about is an OTTB who has a history of ulcers (which I treated successfully with GastroGuard) and has done fabulously on Fibregized (along with some post-ulcer preventative measures like NeighLox and Aloe juice). He has remained ulcer free for several years now and I really want to keep it that way. And I hate switching feeds but I especially I don't want to switch him to something that may not be around forever.

Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Nutrena View Post
    The Pro-series line is brand new for us, and has very limited availability, just in a few states in the NE part of the country. Thanks ~ Gina from Nutrena
    I slightly beg to differ with this, as I live in Georgia and my feed store began carrying the new Pro line about 2 months ago.

That being said, the owner put out free samples of each kind, and I grabbed one of the Pro-Force Fiber, Hi-Fat Pellets and Pro-Senior. I gave each one to different horses and they all scarfed it up. My overall impression is favorable, save for a slightly funky metallic smell to the feed. However, I'm not much inclined to switch from the Seminole Wellness feeds I've used for years.
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

1 members found this post helpful.

Hi Claddagh - Thanks for your comments, can totally understand your desire to pick a product that will be around! Yes, all signs point to this product line staying in place. The product is performing very well, and horses & owners are happy with it.

I did learn today that as realrush89 mentioned, we have 2 dealers in Georgia that are trucking in loads of the product weekly to their stores - so she happens to be lucky enough to have it there as well!

If there is anything further I can do to help, please let me know!
    Thanks ~ Gina from Nutrena

Well, in addition to Georgia, you also have Midwest feed here in Ocala Fl carrying it.......

L

It's available here in VA at Dominion Hay in Suffolk. Great feed and my horses love it. I'd really like to see it closer to me since it's a bit out of the way.

One of my boarders feeds it and it seems like a nice enough feed. The horse seemed to eat it fine and is fat and shiny.

I've been feeding it to my hard keeping OTTB mare for the last couple of months and she has put on condition and is looking very good. I'm very pleased with it. I switched her to Pro Force Fiber from Seminole Senior and it did the trick for her. I did try it with my other OTTB and he seemed to get a little more "up" than I liked, so he's on the Seminole Senior and doing well.

I have two feed stores in my area who both carry the Seminole line as well as Nutrena, but only one has the Pro-Force Fiber. I asked the other his thoughts, and he had concerns about the long term availability of the product, but that was a few months ago so the future of the line may be more certain now.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Hey Gina from Nutrena - can you please pull some strings and see if Nutrena can actually add important information about their feeds to the website, like NSC values, and calories/lb., for example? I get sick of calling to find out, because this isn't published information. Even a range would be nice and at least something to work with.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

1 members found this post helpful.

I found this on line. http://www.nutrenaworld.com/products...s-horse-feeds/
    Still doesn't list NSC %. I have access to this feed & the feed store is about 10 minutes from my house vs 35 minutes to the store with Wellness & Buckeye feeds which I've been using & love. Also this Nutrena feed is much lower cost than the Wellness. I'm thinking of trying a switch.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

I'll be interested to see if this feed makes it to SW FL. It looks to be along the lines of ADM's "Life" line.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Hey Gina from Nutrena - can you please pull some strings and see if Nutrena can actually add important information about their feeds to the website, like NSC values, and calories/lb., for example? I get sick of calling to find out, because this isn't published information. Even a range would be nice and at least something to work with.
    I'd like to know NSC and calories per pound as well. My horse is on half Triple Crown Senior and half Ultium at the moment, and I'm thinking of trying Pro Force Fiber because of palatability.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

I also feed the Nutrena Pro Fiber - and it has been around here longer than 2 months, but it is not everywhere. My horse (VERY mellow OTTB) loves it and does very well on it - I was very satisfied. As for not having the NSC info on the website, it does add a step but I emailed Nutrena and received both an email and a phone call with the information. Nice customer service!
    Sayeth Traum:
    I hate it when I injury myself trying to do something unspecified