The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default chondroprotec: Do I give the full 10ml vial all at once or split into 5ml

I have been giving my horse Adequan but as most of you probably know it is on manufacturer back order.

I bought 3 vials of chondroprotec and they come in 10ml vials instead of 5ml.

My question is : Do I give the full 10 ml vial every 4 days or do i give only 5ml out of a vial every 4 days.

I dislike the idea of sticking a needle into an already punctured vial (because of bacteria and risk of infection)

What say all of you?
    *Member of the Quality Free-Choice Hay/Pasture Feeders Society* Member of the As Much Turnout as Possible Group* FEED by WEIGHT not VOLUME*

My vet told me 5cc per injection. Fwiw, I use a sterile needle for each draw, wipe off the top with alcohol, and then use another new needle for the injection itself. Same vet says that every time you use a needle, it dulls it a little, but didn't mention the relative sterility.

If you don't have the package insert, you could go to one of the vet pharmacy websites and find the directions there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermein View Post
    My vet told me 5cc per injection. Fwiw, I use a sterile needle for each draw, wipe off the top with alcohol, and then use another new needle for the injection itself. Same vet says that every time you use a needle, it dulls it a little, but didn't mention the relative sterility.

If you don't have the package insert, you could go to one of the vet pharmacy websites and find the directions there.
    The product is not intended for IM injection, so the data sheet is of no use for this application. It is designed for wound care.

If the product doesn't contain any type of preservative/bacteriostatic additives, storing the punctured vial for any length of time is taking a risk.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Quote Originally Posted by HoofHeartSoul View Post
    I dislike the idea of sticking a needle into an already punctured vial (because of bacteria and risk of infection)
    I cannot comment on the Chondroprotec but if you are concerned about puncturing the vial more than once you could always draw up the two doses at once (leaving the needle in the vial) and then put a fresh needle on each syringe.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.