The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question hoof wall breaking off after an abscess?

my mare had two abscesses (or one with 2 pockets?) from hell which onset in mid to late july. they have finally drained and we're just waiting for the holes left in the sole post (minimal) resection to close up before we put the shoes back on.

but in the meantime she lost a chunk of the exterior hoof wall (is that the proper term?) in the area of the abscess. is that common? can anyone explain a little more about the processes that cause this? this is not an emergency so i don't want to bug my farrier during the weekend but i'm curious what is happening. will that require some kind of mending with epoxy before a shoe can be put back on?
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

It depends how big a chunk is missing, and its location , along with how far up the wall it extends. Some of it may be what would normally trimmed before shoeing, some times it can be bridged.

If she is walking and trotting sound, it is likely that the remaining wall is bridging the gap.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I have a gelding who got an abscess from hell a year and a half ago (May 2012) from a less-than-stellar shoeing job while I was trying to replace my incredible farrier who had (sadly) moved to Arizona. It was in his LH heel and his entire lateral hoof wall ended up sloughing off. Initially it was just the heel area around where the (massive) abscess came out (it looked like he was "missing" the back quarter of his hoof on that foot). But then almost 10 months later (March 2013), the entire lateral side of his hoof wall from the nail holes down just sloughed right off. The end result was a lot of Equilox to build the wall back up enough to get the shoes back on. My guy is my upper level jumper and needed the shoe on through the entire process.

Funny part of it was when the hoof wall came off while my farrier was pulling the shoe. We both kind of recoiled in horror, and he then went to work rebuilding wall with Equilox. He said that he mentioned it to the guy at the farrier shop the next week and the guy said, "wait right here!" and then ran into the back. When he came back out he was holding a shoe with the entire hoof wall of a horse attached. He said that the horse it belonged to had stumbled and pulled a shoe while being ridden, and that was the end result (horse in question was relatively fine and shockingly not lame as a result).

All in all it was not a major issue, and never caused problems that my farrier couldn't handle.

So all of that to say that hoof wall sloughing off *can* be normal, but if you're worried, could you take pics of the foot and text or e-mail them to your farrier to see if he thinks it looks okay?

thanks for all the replies!

this definitely does not look like a hoof sloughing off. if not for the abscess, i'd say it looks like when a hoof overdue for trimming chips off, except in her case it chipped off a bit higher up the wall which i guess is why the inner horn is visible. i will take a photo tomorrow.

there are no pulses in that hoof and no indication of soreness on her part.

i think i would just puke or faint if i saw an entire hoof capsule slough off

Wow. Some of these stories are making all my nerve endings hurt!

My guy had a pretty epic abscess late this spring, when unfortunately we had a "perfect storm" of events to create it. For some still-unknown reason, Horse was having one of his episodes where he randomly flips the f out for days at @ time. It had been a very rainy week, so his paddock was muddy; he was pacing for hours (because of aforementioned freak-out episode) through said mud and over coral rock; and I was out of Keratex Hoof Gel. The result was this: http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/...27/abscess.jpg as well as more abscess blowing out the heel bulbs.

But, thankfully, I didn't have any problems with the hoof wall breaking off. The empty pocket just grew down, and has been gone for several months now. And once the abscess blew, he was no longer sore (it blew out the lateral hoof wall first, and he felt great; then about a week later he got sore again, and within a day or two the rest of the abscess blew out the heel bulbs).
    Topline Leather -- Unique woven crystal & gemstone browbands

Topline Leather's Etsy Shop

Wow! Poor horse. (And owner) I posted yesterday or the day before about an abscess exiting at the coronary, and the resultant scar growing down. It has a small hole in the middle of the lateral scar, and I could see inside = heart attack. I got some good handholding, and advice.

Hope your horse heals nicely and quickly.

I had to leave my 6 yr old dressage horse barefoot for 3 months because his hooves (and he is 18hh) were just disintegrating. and couldn't hold any nails. He had a colic a year ago and abscessed along with it. Farrier figures the colic destroyed that growth of hoof. He stayed sound and was able to be ridden - not on the road but in the arena and on grass hacks. Now he is on full time hoof supplement and his feet look great. But he needed the time without shoes to develop back his hoof.

so after having consulted with those wiser than me, i think this may be non sensitive keratonized laminae that i'm seeing. pretty scary to think that sensitive tissue is right there and that it could be exposed at any time. hoping that damn hoof wall keeps growing down fast (it seems to judging from the progression of the growth at the coronary band where the abscess surfaced).

my friend's horse just had this happen too. Both front feet. He was so sore for so long finally they burst and the hoof wall is crumbly at the edges. Her farrier is not concerned. Good Luck.