The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Making horse videos and putting on You Tube-easiest video camera?

What video camera captures great video and is easy as pie to load onto YouTube? We have a lovely video camera but it takes forever and a day to upload video. I would love one with a button that can go straight to You Tube.

Recommendations? Thanks!

These days it seems like people are perfectly content with smartphone videos. My Droid phone has a YouTube app on the home page. If I open that app and press the movie camera icon, I can take a video and directly use the upload function. Hmmm, one, two, three buttons I think?

Maybe Apple has something better, but I am not familiar with the "i" products too much!
    friend of bar.ka

I have an IPhone but to make decent videos, you need to zoom right?

I have read that the Flip video cameras are very good but wanted horse folks opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Limerick View Post

I have read that the Flip video cameras are very good but wanted horse folks opinions.
    I have a Flip camera and I think they are better than most phone videos. They are super easy to use and then load to computer and Youtube. They are also very inexpensive. I don't know if the newer ones are the same, but I canNOT edit the sound out, so I have to be careful while I'm videoing not to say anything. You also need to be fairly close-up, as the zoom is not great. Other than that, i think they're pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by Limerick View Post

I have a Flip camera and I think they are better than most phone videos. They are super easy to use and then load to computer and Youtube. They are also very inexpensive. I don't know if the newer ones are the same, but I canNOT edit the sound out, so I have to be careful while I'm videoing not to say anything. You also need to be fairly close-up, as the zoom is not great. Other than that, i think they're pretty good!

My point-and-shoot canon camera takes good video and you can do a little zooming on it. These days though, I'm finding my iPhone to be the easiest way to take video, even without a zoom.

Most new cameras (by this I mean 2012 production) will upload direct to youtube - ask the manufacture date on any prospective purchase (or do your research before hitting the shops); often the "sale" cameras may be 2-3 years old & that usually means significant differences in sensors & software (speed & file types).

For video quality (focus & clarity), look for a camera that offers an optical zoom in video mode - a surprising many do not.
    If you have a set budget, then find a shop that will allow you to trial the camera in the settings you intend to use it.

(after alot of research I picked up a camera that I though was going to be perfect - until I videod a training session in the jump field on a lightly cloudy, slightly windy winter afternoon: the camera was so disurbed by the light quality that it switched between sepia tones & grey tones, blurred & even timed out, camera was supposedly zooming in optical mode but the footage looked as if the camera software had over-ridden my input & gone digital: in shop (bright fluorescent lighting) had looked very good, online samples were also very good. I returned the camera & waited for the next sensor versin)

I like the flip for ease of shooting. Though, you still have to go back to your computer to upload (vs. a smartphone you can upload immediately)