The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 22 of 22
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5,247

    Default

    You are not going to feel the shock when you just stick your hands in the water -- because you are probably wearing rubber soled shoes. You have to stick one hand in the water and one hand on the ground to complete the circuit. Now, I am used to getting shocked in water all the time at work, so it doesn't bother me, but if you are not used to getting electrocuted, use your voltmeter instead. I'm sure you've gotten shocked before, it's just more of a "surprise," but you can avoid it if you want.

    Mine were getting shocked from their heated bucket when it was plugged in -- the bucket was fine, the outlet was fine. The problem is, the only outlet is the same one the farm's MASSIVE (100 mi) fence charger was plugged into plus both the ground wires. There's just so much power in that corner, it was overwhelming the shielding on my extension cord which was then carrying the pulses of bleed-off power to the water. So I gave up (I could have gone all redneck and tried pipe insulation, but I had redlined my give-a-sh*t meter) -- we use the big troughs in winter and only the top freezes and staff removes ice every day, so they will be fine. They like the warmed water, but hey, I like pretty shoes and I can't afford those either, so too bad.

    I was able to tell what was going on by sticking one probe of my voltmeter ($20 at Autozone and endlessly useful; just make sure you put it on the right capacity setting for your voltage so you don't blow it out) in the water and the negative in the ground (lick the negative for a better ground if your soil is very dry, moisture helps) : the pulses of power exactly matched the clicks of the fence charger. Voila!



  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov. 23, 2001
    Location
    Catharpin, Virginia
    Posts
    6,679

    Default

    I've had the problem for years, but it was not a result of faulty wiring or grounding issues. The big overhead power lines border one section of my property -- and they throw stray voltage. The pastures closest to the lines have more stray voltage than those furthest away from the lines.

    My local power company resolved the problem by installing what is called a Ronk Isolator on my transformers (at no charge), which solved the problem.



Similar Threads

  1. sadly giving up on EMND horse
    By Iberiansyes in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: Nov. 19, 2012, 03:05 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: Jul. 16, 2011, 06:29 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jul. 4, 2011, 12:12 AM
  4. Sadly true in alot of cases........
    By PaintedBones in forum Off Course
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Sep. 11, 2010, 11:30 PM
  5. Schipperke/Terrier mix sadly needs a new home
    By snkstacres in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Nov. 15, 2008, 01:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •