The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help sell or walk away? WWYD?

I will try to keep this a brief as possible. I have had a 4yr old Dutch mare in training for a friend for @ 6 months. Since I was without a horse to ride I had been nice and had been training for free to do her a favor. Mare came with some big problems I have gotten pretty much fixed (no idea leg meant go curled up etc) she was started by her owner who didn't really know what she was doing with a young horse. Owner has now decided she wants to sell her which is fine. The problem comes in the fact that she wants to price her what I consider far too high/above market value (10-15k too high) (every other professional friend I have talked to agree this price is way too high) she wants me to help her sell her and if she doesn't sell by Feb she will take her back as she "doesn't want to pay for a horse she isn't riding". Right now I'm inclined to tell her to just take the horse, I'm not sure I'm comfortable representing a horse for sale that is so overpriced. WWYD?

1 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

If Seller is a friend, and you are what she considers a Pro (training for her) why not just tell her you think her price is unrealistic?

IIWM, I'd offer that opinion, then let her have at it - she can advertise at her price and see how long it takes before she realizes No Sale.
    Then she either lowers the price or takes the horse back.

You can tell any potential buyers the price was set by the owner.
    You may have to listen to some smack, but you can then relay that to owner and see if she realizes her price is not going to sell the mare.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Are you a pro? Even if you aren't it's best not to get your name mixed up in this, if the horse is truly overpriced. She won't sell, it'll be your fault, other trainers will check out the horse and think you are completely unrealistic and it'll affect their future perceptions of you . . . run don't walk.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

4 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the advice! ReSomething that's pretty much what I was thinking. I'm not a pro full time anymore just on the side now occasionally teaching and training but I live in a very horsey area and have only been here a few years I don't want people to think I have no idea how to price a horse! Owner is not a good friend and doesn't seem to want to listen to my opinion on price even when backed up with other professionals opinions and examples of what's for sale out there.

2 members found this post helpful.

Agree with ReSomething especially since your follow up. I'd disengage from this situation. Though your name will STILL likely be associated with the horse--or at least any issues the horse has.

On the other hand, if you think the mare is a good egg and you want to keep working with her, you could tell owner that you'd be happy to show the horse/meet prospective buyers but that she has to do the listing/weeding out tire kickers, haggle price, etc. Then maybe you can accurately represent the horse and let the chips fall where they may on the price.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Agree with ReSomething especially since your follow up. I'd disengage from this situation. Though your name will STILL likely be associated with the horse--or at least any issues the horse has.

On the other hand, if you think the mare is a good egg and you want to keep working with her, you could tell owner that you'd be happy to show the horse/meet prospective buyers but that she has to do the listing/weeding out tire kickers, haggle price, etc. Then maybe you can accurately represent the horse and let the chips fall where they may on the price.
    That, give the owner your opinion and several options and go from that.

Owner may reconsider, may move, may leave horse there for a while, may come with some other harebrained ideas, who knows.

Owners come in all flavors, do they.

I would tell her the price is too high, and give her the horse back if she insists on marketing at that price. And what will you get out of it if you help her sell? It sounds like a big pain for you, and without any return.

I would walk away, and very quickly. Somehow this whole sales idea will come back to bite you in the butt.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by SCAlterSC View Post
    Thanks for the advice! ReSomething that's pretty much what I was thinking. I'm not a pro full time anymore just on the side now occasionally teaching and training but I live in a very horsey area and have only been here a few years I don't want people to think I have no idea how to price a horse! Owner is not a good friend and doesn't seem to want to listen to my opinion on price even when backed up with other professionals opinions and examples of what's for sale out there.

Ok, so thank her for her business. Suggest that b/c you disagree so definitively on the pricing, that perhaps she would move her to another, more sales oriented barn, so that she may begin with a clean slate. Bump the mare down to boarding only board rates effective 1/1/2013 and if she wants to move her sooner than that, you'll be happy to prorate the board. And don't sling a leg over leather again, not on that horse .

Show her the door with a smile.

5 members found this post helpful.

So in a nutshell, she only wants to pay board on the horse for another month?

She may want to lease the horse out after that if she isn't going to ride her; I wonder if you can ask the trainers in your circle if they have a possible leasee.

If not, the mare should be priced to sell.

I have a boarder who wants to sell her 12 y.o. TB gelding for $5K. This would be the gelding who has barely been ridden in a year and who was a disaster at eventing in his prior life (and has the USEA record to prove it). He's got a nice enough personality and could work out for a the right rider. Just not for $5K or anything close to it. She has told me that trail horses sell for $5K. I am very doubtful.

This is one of those cases where I am happy I specialize in a breed and don't sell outside of it. It saves considerable grief when it comes to unrealistic pricing expectations.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

@ Ironwood ..yes, trail horses sell for 5K (and upwards), but they are priced according to their abilities; just as with any other discipline. 5K^ trail horses simply tack and go riding, super manners, anyone can ride, english or western (and thats not just changing the tack), jump! most can pack a novice through BN, and then all-day trail 20 miles.

To the OP. You've offered enough with free training, even though it was your decidion since needing a horse to ride. Id suggest to your owner that you've done your part, and recommend she consign the horse to someone else for marketing.

The Penn Natonal rescue, through New Vocations, (supported by the Penn National Horsemen, not the track) -- has a barn full of retrained tb's, ridden and schooled by the local pony clubbers . Those prices average 300-400/ those shown, maybe $1000. After one year of ownership, they can be sold (it takes that long to bring along a good project anyway). Im sure this is a good measure on pricing.
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

She can price the horse wherever she wants as long as she is paying you. I agree that you don't want to look like the person with the crazy ideas but I think other trainers understand the situation. Don't let it bother you if she gives notice and moves on. Don't take anything she does personally.
    "The Desire to Win is worthless without the Desire to Prepare"

It's a "KILT". If I wore something underneath, it would be a "SKIRT".

Lostboy, it appears that OP is not being compensated, but is sort of doing a training free lease. So owner isn't paying, owner is just paying the horse's board and OP is riding / training horse because she didn't have anything else to ride currently.

I like the idea of letting owner field / manage the sales process if she sets the price, because it will educate her on the spot about the inappropriateness of the price.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

No matter what happens --not selling soon enough, not selling at asking price, god forbid horse gets injured--it will be your fault. If she's not a friend, and you were training this horse for free in exchange for riding time, then you got what you wanted, and call it a day. I'm struggling to see ANY reason to participate in the sale. Such a no-win.

Did she maybe offer you a cut of the sale? Would your xxx% cut of the sale be interesting enough (ie pay for the work you've already done + work to sell the horse)? I think that's the ONLY way I'd help sell the horse, and only with a written contract. I'm not sure how these contracts are usually structured, but if it were me, contract would spell out the asking price and the mechanism by which you'll reduce it if horse doesn't sell (after each 2 mos that horse doesn't sell, price will be reduced by xxx%, etc). And horse owner should pay board during this time, if she's not already.

Tell the HO she can take it or leave it-- she may already know that her chances are slim to find some sucker to work for free for an unrealistic and broke HO.