The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Profidia View Post
    Never said that at all. Matter of fact I'd agree with you on all of that except that living in the capitalist world that we do the only way to measure success in a business is by money made.
    Except for this “business” involves a living, breathing thing, that has little or no say in what is done. As a horsemen, I respect those who put the interest of the horse before the interest of their pocket book.

Time and again – in every horse sport – the pursuit of riches causes horrible suffering of equines.

Any trainer that puts the horse before the all mighty dollar is a better horsemen than one that makes more money, at the expense of the well being of the horse.

7 members found this post helpful.

And it just keeps geting stupider. What an a@#!

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    And it just keeps geting stupider. What an a@#!
    I got a red thumb. Wonder who that was from? lol

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Quote Originally Posted by Chestnut Run View Post

I got a red thumb. Wonder who that was from? lol

Sheila
    I thought the same thing about my thumbs down! God, I hate those things.

Nice to see Profida has found a ovum that won't back down. I bet almost every trainer out there has owned at least one racehorse in their career. Just because they aren't a majority on a card, doesn't mean it doesnt happen. It's the law of averages, there are more owners than trainers. A trainer has to be able to afford to train his horses, which can be very expensive on a daily basis. So they are likely o have more " pay" horses than not. As for being a leading trainer, it's a lot of work, and stress, that not everyone wants in their lives. It's a personal decision. And yes, there will always be bad owner/trainers, in every aspect of horse disciplines. Oh, I guess Santa Anita must be a crappy track, they've got mechanical hot walkers there....

2 members found this post helpful.

Shockingly enough, I also had a thumbs down post!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chestnut Run View Post
    It would be interesting to see the stats for his/her racing, wouldn't it? I find that the more negative and outspoken the person, generally the less they've done and the less they know. Oh well, back to the barn, lunch break is over.

Sheila
    Some folks you just cant reach.......

At risk of being redundant and as stated numerous times elsewhere, yours truly does not own or train any horses. Thus, logic would dictate that there would be no record to find.

Might you like to point us to your record on equibase? For some inexplicable reason I'm finding nothing under your name
    "I am going to have horse racing as my business, and my hobby will be punishing each and every one of you pinheads, so happy blogging you have my attention"
    Michael Gill-2010

Folks, hasn't this thread just about run it's course?

There really isn't a lot of value add by continuing the trade barbs on the subject. I'll admit I didn't help by picking out a couple examples of horses with successful owners also as the trainer. There will always be a flip side of highly unsuccessful horses that have the same combo.

Bottom line is that anyone making any blanket statement regarding almost anything in racing can be proven to be mistaken.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Profidia View Post
    Might you like to point us to your record on equibase? For some inexplicable reason I'm finding nothing under your name
    Not inexplicable at all. I have nothing to hide, including the fact that I'm married and my maiden name was Kane. Here you go. http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...e=T&eID=157066 I haven't trained under my married name. Once I got married, the few horses we had were pretty much my husbands and raced under my husband's name. Also in '98 when I was getting my license, a friend was a program trainer for my first 3 starts which were a fourth, third, and win. If you'd like it by horse, I can do that too.

For someone who doesn't train, and doesn't have race horses, you are awful opinionated, aren't you?

And now I'm done with your rudeness and as Glimmerglass suggested, this thread. Carry on with your sad, bitter life. I hope it gets better for you at some point in the future.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes, very common on smaller tracks.

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Just wow.

How anyone who has never owned or trained a racehorse can dispute being able to hot walk (or lead for that matter) a bad actor and call their skills in question is beyond me.

I took care of a big, studdy Standardbred mare back in the late 80's. You could NOT LEAD HER ANYWHERE. I hooked her and drove her everywhere she went and in the small spaces she couldn't drive it took a chain and two stout guys. She beat the boys on a regular basis but she'd fight and strike, spin and kick and it didn't matter who was on the other end of that lead.

Won a lot of money, which only in part made up for the bruises. Don't even ask me how much of a peach she was to get dressed or groom or put up.

Some horses just do not behave well and they are big and can really, really hurt you.

Gyp tracks my ass.

5 members found this post helpful.

Just watched the Gr. 2 Bayakoa Stakes at Hollywood. Owner....Jerry Hollendorfer.....trainer....uh, Jerry Hollendorfer.

5 members found this post helpful.

A prime example of one of those useless low-life owner/trainers at a cheap "gyp" track. LOL

General Quarters also comes to mind. Can you imagine anything more fun than that guy had?

Who do you think this is? Owned Misremembered. http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...=O&eID=1343256
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Pure Fun just won the Grade 1 Hollywood Starlet Stakes, trained by Ken McPeek, owned by.....Ken and Susan McPeek. In third was Scarlet Strike, owned and trained by Jerry Hollendorfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post
    General Quarters also comes to mind. Can you imagine anything more fun than that guy had?

Who do you think this is? Owned Misremembered. http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...=O&eID=1343256
    And Contested this year:

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...609&registry=T

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post

Not only did Baffert own and train Misremembered, he was also his breeder.

How could I have failed to mention Groupie Doll. Homebred, broke, trained and raised by the Bradleys. Yep, she's a real mess...

Kenny McPeek was in Hawaii and missed the win in the Starlet, but I guess a gyp like him deserves a break too.

Oh, and as for ballcaps and suits (or blue blazers) have you been to Keeneland or Saratoga (esp sales week) or any hunt meet? It is clearly the fashion. It was rumored to be prevalent at Devon as well.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Ha if pure fun is a gyp horse sign me up, THAT was impressive

The first two runners in the Gold Rush were trainer owned.

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...G120812USA.pdf

Wait that is one of those bad $75,000 stakes at one of those gyp racetracks with mechanical walkers....