The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pipe Dream: Wellington

If you could travel to Wellington for the WEF circuit this winter and ride/work for any top trainer, who would you choose and why?

Asked another way: which barn do you think of off the top of your head that stands out as:

-greatest opportunity for advancing riding
    -highly professional
    -most knowledgeable and reputable trainer
    -winning yet friendly/welcoming
    -good group of clients, etc.

...that is going to Wellington this winter?

Default A horse show is a horse show

You can see a lot of famous riders,horses,trainers, and barns but there's "Wellington" - the people who have homes there - and Wellington, the horse show. I'm not sure how welcoming anyone is at this show. It's about Big Money. If you have the price of admission, everyone will be friendly. These barns are good - ie, they "win" - and the eq classes are fun to watch because they actually test. Watch the schooling rings to see who is helpful and nice to their clients when they come out after a not so good round. That will give you a good idea of the more approachable folks. You could ask them if they need help, but often "help" has travelled with them.

If you're looking for someone to train with and do some of the shows with, this will help. Some barns socialize together and some are tired and go home, so that might be as important as the training if you are looking for camraderie.

If I could afford to train with absolutely anyone at WEF, I'd follow Kent Farrington around like a puppy.

He rides beautifully, his horses all go beautifully, and his clients all seem to do well. After watching him teach at last year's George Morris clinic, I'm definitely sold.

Alas, I am too poor to play...
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm here now boarding, training and showing with Margie Engle. I couldn't be happier!! Last time I was here was in 1995 when I trained and showed with Joe Fargis, also a highlight of my career. A marriage and 3 kids later, I'm back down here living my dream!

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BHSinTN View Post
    I'm here now boarding, training and showing with Margie Engle. I couldn't be happier!! Last time I was here was in 1995 when I trained and showed with Joe Fargis, also a highlight of my career. A marriage and 3 kids later, I'm back down here living my dream!
    Lucky you! Margie has been one of my idols since I BEGAN riding. What type of a trainer is she? Tough? No nonsense? Funny? I'm just curious That is just amazing for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotawyatt View Post
    Lucky you! Margie has been one of my idols since I BEGAN riding. What type of a trainer is she? Tough? No nonsense? Funny? I'm just curious That is just amazing for you!
    Margie is definitely "no nonsense" but not in a bad way. Not overly wordy and certainly NOT gushy (as you can I'm sure imagine), but very detailed. I am here with my 9 yr old OTTB who is somewhat of an anomaly here in Wellington, but Margie, who has a bit of a soft spot for TBs, has been complimentary about his jumping style and ability.

One of the other boarders who has been with Margie for over 20 yrs and who owns 3 very pricey warmbloods asked me while flatting before our lesson if my horse was a "real, real thoroughbred". I told her "Yes, complete with a tatoo and everything." She replied, "Oh wow! A good thoroughbred is worth at least 10 warmbloods!" I couldn't agree more.

Oh, how cool!! I, too, have idolized Margie since I was very small and she signed my program and spent a few moments talking to me at Washington. As the proud owner/rider of an OTTB, it's great to hear that she has a soft spot for them! Good luck!!! (and represent!!)
    Katie Gardner ~ Otteridge Farm
    Visit us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Otteri...12757628746926

BHSinT, I think this TB might be showing in Wellington soon....very fun to watch!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9AtLsplsTU

It is Hilary Simpson and Arkansas winning his first Grand Prix in Raleigh last month.

Quote Originally Posted by Limerick View Post
    BHSinT, I think this TB might be showing in Wellington soon....very fun to watch!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9AtLsplsTU

It is Hilary Simpson and Arkansas winning his first Grand Prix in Raleigh last month.
    That made me tear up a little. Nothing better than the heart of a tb.
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by texan View Post
    That made me tear up a little. Nothing better than the heart of a tb.
    He seems like a very cool horse.Chronicle did a great story on the win and his background.